× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Issues with RAX120 since 1.2.0.16 update

JJG1992
Apprentice

Issues with RAX120 since 1.2.0.16 update

I have the RAX120 v1 and since the latest update I have been having issues few days ago the hole router locked up no devices could connect via ethernet or WiFi was unable to obtain ip address, when I was able to connect the after few restarts UI kept locking up to so hade to pin hole reset the router, now having issues with speeds aswell as wifi devices randomly disconnecting saying the WiFi password is incorrect. Just wondering if any one else has this issues and is there a fix being worked on via netgear 

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 15
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Please reset your router using the rear pin hole method. Set up as new and test again.

Message 2 of 15
JJG1992
Apprentice

Already done that twice now just waiting to see if it happens again, but currently seeing issues with my isp's modem so going to resolve that issue first,  couple hundred pre and post errors. If issue prosists on my RAX120 going to try rolling back the update to previous version and se if that stops the problems 

Message 3 of 15
Xhorba
Aspirant

I am having the same exact problem. I am currently rolling back to 1.0.1.128 as this is the last firmware version I can remember using that didn't have any issues with WiFi. I am curious if anyone else has found a better solution than rolling back to old firmware?

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 4 of 15
Cockney
Apprentice

Let me tell you a story!!! 

From my support ticket: Opened 2020-12-10 17:23:40.  STILL OPEN

Summary in reverse sequence.

Waiting for the next lock up.

1/28/21:/2021: Router froze up and needed power cycle

Upgrade to 1.2.0.16 at service request.

1/26/2020: Router rebooted. FW 1.0.2.128

1/25/2021: Router froze up and needed power cycle

1/21/2021: Router froze up and needed power cycle

Downgraded firmware to 1.0.1.128

Replacement RAX120 installed (RMA).  This is a V2 model.

1/18/2021: Router froze up and needed power cycle

1/17/2021: Router froze up and needed power cycle
1/8/2021: Router froze up and needed power cycle 

1/7/2021 With Netgear Level 1 support we changed the MTU size and the DNS settings.
We set the MTU to 1472.
DNS settings were changed to 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.8.4
This is said to fix internet connection drops.

1/3/2021:Router froze up at 3:30am on 1/1/21. I was out of town. All wireless, LAN and WAN traffic stopped. Router needed to be powered down and up again. This is about 4 ½ days since the last freeze and power cycle.
12/25/2020: Router froze up and needed to be power cycled
12/22/2020: Router froze up and needed to be power cycled. Firmware updated to 1.2.0.16
12/18/2020: Router rebooted. FW 1.0.2.136
12/13/2020: Router rebooted. FW 1.0.2.136
12/10/2020: Router rebooted. FW 1.0.2.136
12/6/2020: Router rebooted. FW 1.0.2.136

Before this it seemed to be working ok but that’s not certain because the random reboots were not being monitored at this time.
I have provided logs, network topology, a list of connected devices.  Waiting for L2 support.

Message 5 of 15
JJG1992
Apprentice

I gave in and rang netgear spoke to l1 support told me there was nothing wrong with it and was told I would have to speak to l2 support at a £100 charge. they will not send out replacement unit till I speek to l2 support to asses the problem but I have 2/3 years product warranty, So during This World crises the Router I payed a lot of money for basically a verry expensive paper Wight when It locks up for no reason at all and they are asking for more money when I am covered by product warranty.

Message 6 of 15
Cockney
Apprentice

I had exactly the same issue.  I kicked up such a fuss on the community and facebook.  It was the FB stuff that got their attention.  They gave me one support case without charge.  Your mileage may vary....

Message 7 of 15
JJG1992
Apprentice

The l1 support person who I spoke to could bairly understand English, didn't Understand my problem then whent on and told me towards The end of the call I didn't no anything and what I had done try resolve the issue was all wrong and how he new more because he is a level 1 technician and Asked what I did so I told him I volunteer with isp on my spair time from my normal as a  computer repair man plus other repairs then he hung up.

Message 8 of 15
JJG1992
Apprentice

Current Issue Is Random Devis Showing No Internet Symbol, My Partners Phone And Kindle Keep Disconnecting Aswell. 

Message 9 of 15
BitHead33
Tutor

I too have experienced issues with the RAX120 since upgrading to FW 1.2.0.16:

It's bin so bad that I installed a wireless light switch remote to the powerstrip  because I need to get a ladder each time it freezes because of the location of the router.  I can't complain about the router Throughput Performance as i consistenly get my 980mbps DOWN and 37mbps UP.  not bad for COMCAST 1gbps/40mbps connection.  What i can complain about is the clear lack of support NETGEAR provides to it customers.  I've been using NETGEAR router for years and my biggest issue is their FW updates.  Sometimes they work and other times your simply fight support to get some answers.  I've rebuilt this RAX120 more times then i care to think about.  Factory resets and test previous FW versions.  It's not my network as i can simply substitute my old NETGEAR R9000 with the RAX120 and everything works great.  What kills me is that fact each time the router freezes and I have to cut the power and when it comes back online the logfiles are cleared.  i have them mailed to me eachday at 12AM but there nothing in them to help diagnose the issue.  is there a way to set the router into a debu mode and write the log to a usb thumb drive or remote PC in real time.  perhaps i could better diagnose the issue im having and others seem to be having as well.

Message 10 of 15
JJG1992
Apprentice

@BitHead33 I Think I Have Figard It out ! Every Time My Isp Cable Modem Has A T3 Time Out Thats When It Seems To Happen, I Hade All New Cable Ran To My Home To Stop The Noice On My Line (Pre And Post Errors) A cross All Docsis Channels DownStream And Upstream,  Since Then No T3 Time Outs And No Freezing Of My Rax120.

Message 11 of 15
BitHead33
Tutor

My router FREEZES but my cable modem still maintains its connection.  I got rid of my ISP (Xfiniti X1modem) when they kept telling me my modem was achieving 1gbps DOWN and 40mbps UP.  I would test numerous websites and would only get about 720Mbps DOWN and 20Mbps UP.  Xiniti support would have me run a test to the XFINITY Speed Test server which is on their internal network. When i asked for the location of the server no one knew buy if you ran a TRACEROUTE it never left thir internal network I purchesed a NETGEAR CM115V cable modem with two phone jacks.  I consistently get 950Mbps Down and 37Mbps UP.  That's to a Bandwidth server two states away. [68Miles].   I did find the DEBUG log option for the RAX120.  

http://[ROUTER-IPaddress]/debug.htm

here are a few other:

hidden_POT.htm
hidden_channel_wifi_coexist.htm
hidden_channel_wifi_test.htm
debug.htm
(Practically all models)
hidden_info.htm (QUALCOMM chipset based routers/modems only??? (RAX120 / R7800 / D7800 etc & earlier models?)
hidden_manual_set_ant.html
WiFi_HiddenPage.htm
(BROADCOM chipset based routers/modems only: ie RAX200 / RAX80 / R8500 / R8000 / R7000 / D8500 / D7000 etc & earlier models?)
hidden_11ad_setting.htm (R9000)
hidden_cpu.htm
Thermal_FAN.htm
QOS_prru_main.htm

Message 12 of 15
JJG1992
Apprentice

@BitHead33 In Your Previous Message I Just Reread About You Saying About The Position Of Your Router Being High Up The Freezing And Lock Up Issue Could Be Down To Thermals, Have You Tried Using The Always On Fan Within The debug Url Also Does The netgear cm115v Not Support  LAC-IEEE 802.3AD, I No Its A 2Gb Docsis 3.1 router But Thats All I No About It But If It Supports  Port Aggregation Use With Ethernet port 1 And 2 on Ax120 Witch Would Give You Full 1Gb Speeds And Maybe More Via An Ax Combatable Device And Multi Gig Port On Your Ax120 

Message 13 of 15
BitHead33
Tutor

JJG1992

My thermals are fine, I have a cardboard box that provides shade to the ROUTER from the mail window.  Also my wife is menopasusal so my hous is always 67 degrees or lower LOL.  I do have the FAN always on, here my config. I have WAN port currently MIRRORING to LAN port1.  Using wire shark to capture packets in hopes to find something since the DEBUG logs have not been much help.  Thanks for the heads up about the THERMALS but the router in an open air entry way and it has frozen all hours of the day even when the sun is shining complete oposite side of the house.  Im in the process of disabling all feature not one by one to see what happens.  Like i said before i can place my OLD R9000 Netgear in the same place and it runs flawlessly.  thanks for the input.  Hopefully your reamins stable.

Message 14 of 15
Cockney
Apprentice

After 3 months on an open ticket and pratically NO support.  Normal stuff, rebbor, reset etc.  They did RMA it though.  Same issue.  When it started to lock ujp every 4 hours or so I gave up.  Purchased a TP-Link AX11000.  Been working for a few weeks now and it doesn't lock up.

Bye bye Netgear.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7