× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Laptop to ethernet switch connection causes Wi-Fi to drop for all devices?

mtsbob
Aspirant

Laptop to ethernet switch connection causes Wi-Fi to drop for all devices?

(The router model used  is the RAX50 but that doesn't seem to be an available choice in the model drop-down list)

A client of mine is using this router for Wi-Fi and internet access in her home, and has a number of devices successfully connected as such. She is now attempting to use one of the 4 switch ports for hard-wired ethernet connectivity to her laptop. She connects successfully this way, and I've verified her laptop's online, however, she claims that the entire Wi-Fi network has gone down as a result of making this connection. I instructed her to disconnect the ethernet cable from the router and restart it, and voila, Wi-Fi connectivity is restored.

I'm not physically there, so I have really no idea what's going on, but I've never heard of such a thing. Is there some oddball setting in this device that would cause it to drop  Wi-Fi connections when a wired ethernet connection is made to the device? I'm stumped.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
mtsbob
Aspirant

Nevermind, problem solved. I determined that she's managed to press the Wi-Fi button and turned off Wi-Fi while she was manhandling the device. False alarm. Ugh.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
mtsbob
Aspirant

Nevermind, problem solved. I determined that she's managed to press the Wi-Fi button and turned off Wi-Fi while she was manhandling the device. False alarm. Ugh.

Message 2 of 3
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi mtsbob,

Thanks for providing an update to your post as it may possibly help others in the future.

Christian 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7