× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Latest RAX120 Firmware (1.0.2.16) Broke WiFi

Firedude302
Aspirant

Latest RAX120 Firmware (1.0.2.16) Broke WiFi

After updating the firmware from 1.0.2.136 to 1.0.2.16, I found my constantly dropping and reconnecting, then finally quitting with an error stating it could not authenticate the connection. I tried everything I could with my phone (Samsung S10) to stop the issue, but to no avail. I eventually rolled back to 1.0.2.136 and it works perfectly again.
Is anyone else having this issue?
Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

One thing to try is when a firmware update breaks something is a factory reset and a clean install (not using a backup).

Reason why is occassionally the firmware changes enough, an old setting can cause issues. 

If that doesn't work, then we usually recommend the firmware downgrade. 

Message 2 of 7
Chichizola
Star

Two terms for Netgear Developers:

- Backward Compatibility

- Beta Testing (prior to general public release, that is)

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

@Chichizola wrote:

Two terms for Netgear Developers:

- Backward Compatibility---That'd be great if devices/code didn't change so much. Even the base code from broadcomm/qualcomm changes frequently. Its not just netgear's code that changes in firmware. 

- Beta Testing (prior to general public release, that is)----You don't think they beta test? I've been involved in a few tests of devices and occassionally get new firmware to test prior to release. But its a small sample size. But how many devices are sold? Now add in each persons extensive amount of devices they connect.  And then you have to ensure the devices that are connecting are coded properly.  Its not possible to test every possible combination. Every device maker has this issue. I've had devices that were rock solid and others that were crap. And this is from netgear/tplink/asus/etc. I play with a lot of routers.  

Message 4 of 7
DJan74
Aspirant

Continues to drop Wifi. Multiple factory resets, 30-30-30 reset. Firmware downgraded to first release then updated a couple of times. Now running V1.0.2.136 and still dropping Wifi many times a day. Unfortunately not able to resolve the issue so changing to Asus after 1 year and 1 week with the RAX120. Very costly and frustrating exercise. Many many posts about this issue on the community..

Message 5 of 7
Chichizola
Star

Agree with your points. But look at the tickets they are mostly basic, in home installs, no esoteric combination of devices. Their always what side of the prism you choose to look from. I have found much better "luck" with other brands.

Message 6 of 7
Firedude302
Aspirant

Update. The latest firmware got pushed 1.2.1.22 and the readme claimed "fixed stability issues". Unfortunately that was not the case and I once again had to roll back to 1.0.2.136. The cannot authenticate connection issue persisted, but on top of that I found that the signal was significantly less consistent. I would go to places in my house where I have no issues with signal strength under 1.0.2.136 and on the new firmware the signal was weak or completely undetectable. I don't understand how the firmware changed the way the signal propagates, but until they make drastic changes I'm going to be stuck on the old firmware.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7