× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Latest firmware update RAX35 broke wireless on/off scheduling

mjz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Latest firmware update RAX35 broke wireless on/off scheduling

I updated my RAX35 router with the latest firmware 1.0.3.80 and now my on/off wireless schedule no longer works.

I use to be able to turn off the wireless radio in the late evening and then have it turn itself on by morning. This no longer works.

I have rebooted and otherwise verified the router is working with my settings (which have not changed). NTP time server is working.

Thoughts on what to try? if anything or is this just a bug until the next update.

Message 1 of 15
plemans
Guru

You could downgrade back a version. 

Or try factory resetting (maybe take a backup prior to the reset)

Message 2 of 15
mjz
Apprentice
Apprentice

I just downgraded to an earlier version. We'll see if that works.

@plemans wrote:

You could downgrade back a version. 

Or try factory resetting (maybe take a backup prior to the reset)

Message 3 of 15
plemans
Guru

Let us know!

Message 4 of 15
mjz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well - overnight, the wireless turned off as per schedule, but never turned back on. I'll have to do that manually.

There is definitely something wrong with this router. The NTP time server is working and I did receive email log report (which never worked on the latest firmware, but did on the revision).

At this point, I don't know what else to do. The router is less than a year old (bought last November), so I suppose I can get it replaced under warranty.

@plemans wrote:

Let us know!

Message 5 of 15
plemans
Guru

When you downgraded, did you factory reset and reinstall? 

If its a old/bad setting thats crossing over a reset might help. 

Message 6 of 15
mjz
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'll try a factory reset. I wanted to avoid that, but seems the only thing left to try.

@plemans wrote:

When you downgraded, did you factory reset and reinstall? 

If its a old/bad setting thats crossing over a reset might help. 

Message 7 of 15
jcax
Star

Could you backup your settings before the factory reset, and then after the reset load those backed-up settings? That is what I did on a firmware downgrade (different model, RAX80). Not sure if would work on yours, but might help preserve your settings.

Message 8 of 15
plemans
Guru

Sometimes the backup's work, sometimes they re-introduce the same errors that were from before. Its worth a shot but if it doesn't, try manually reinstalling. 

Message 9 of 15
mjz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Backup didn't work following the first reset - I could not re-connect to the router. I redid the factory reset and then manually set the settings for my network. Essentially everything is the  way it was.

Everything is up and running as before except firmware is not current, I won't know if my on/off wireless radio schedule will work until tomorrow.

One problem already - the scheduling, although on when I set everything up, turned back off because the NTP time server failed to connect. It was fine this morning and now no more. I changed the time server to "time.nist.gov" and it re-established time sync and the schedule icons turned green again. This may be where the problem is....?

I have several other netgear routers (R6700 & R7800) that follow the same schedule with no issue.

Message 10 of 15
mjz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well - the router wireless radio turned off per schedule overnight, but this morning never turned back on as per the schedule. I'll have to turn it on manually. The NTP server seems to be working as there is no error message regarding time. The router should have done what it used to do. I also set for an email of the log to be sent to me. Sometimes it shows up mostly it doesn't. This is a flaky and unreliable router.

Because I still have a few months left on hardware warranty, I'll request an RMA and send it back to Netgear. It could be hardware related, but most likely it's the firmware code messing things up (just a guess). I've done all I know how to do (reset, reboot, pray, configure).

Message 11 of 15
mjz
Apprentice
Apprentice

[email failed] Could not connect to SMTP server \"smtp.mail.att.net\" at port 465, Thu,Sep 03,2020 09:01:41
[admin login] from source 192.168.1.66, Thu,Sep 03,2020 08:55:58
[Wireless signal schedule] The wireless 5G signal is OFF, Thu,Sep 03,2020 00:00:49
[Wireless signal schedule] The wireless 2.4G signal is OFF, Thu,Sep 03,2020 00:00:49
[Wireless signal schedule] The wireless 2.4G signal is OFF, Wed,Sep 02,2020 23:30:33
[email sent to: home@sbcglobal.net] Wed,Sep 02,2020 15:54:51
[admin login] from source 192.168.1.66, Wed,Sep 02,2020 15:53:30
[Time synchronized with NTP server] Wed,Sep 02,2020 15:53:23
[Initialized, firmware version: V1.0.3.80_1.0.1 ] Wed,Sep 02,2020 15:52:24

Message 12 of 15
mjz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Router's wireless on/off schedule or email function does not work in AP mode. Log messaging is very limited. It must be a firmware bug.

In router mode (i.e. DHCP server on), the router works great. Wireless on/off schedule is honored, all log messages show up and email (log sent) works perfectly.

Unfortunately, I can't "see" this router on my "192.168...." network because it is set to "10.0...." (router behind router). The only way I can access (that I know of) the web interface is by connecting a laptop to one of the router's lan ports.  Not a big deal since the router is basically wokring and only connects wireless devices (Ipads, cell phones, etc.) on a temporary basis.

i wish Netgear would tes their firmware updates in AP mode to verify it works - because it doesn't. Not on the RAX 35.

Message 13 of 15
charlesrc19
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue with my router. Router mode, connected to internet via DHCP, Smart Connect wifi on, and using "Turn of Signal by Schedule" feature. It will turn off on time but not back on. Did you have any success on getting this to work? Mine is simply not.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 14 of 15
mjz
Apprentice
Apprentice

The only way I got it to work was by changing configuration from access mode to router mode with DHCP on. Then setting on/off schedules work. Unfortunately, it means any device connected to it is on a submet (i.e. 10.0.X.X instead of 192.168.x.x). I can't access the router unless I connect a laptop via hard wire. Not a big deal as it is working this way. I won't buy Netgear again, however.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7