Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Little bugs found on MR60 ( MK62 )

artenais82x
Aspirant

Little bugs found on MR60 ( MK62 )

Good day to Netgear support,

I have recently bought the MK62 system and I am moderatly happy with it. I wish to signal to your firmware department my point of view on some inconsitancies I have found that may or may not impact user experience.

The MR60 is on latest firmware 1.0.6.102. Here is the possible bug list / feature request :

- There should be a "Prefer 5Ghz / 2.4 Ghz" on the device added. Please forgive me, i know that mesh is supposed to be on total semplification or ease of mind but there are sometimes extreme situation that becomes funny, like a sound satellites refusing to communicate with the TV set because they stuck on 2.4Ghz ( while they can work on 5Ghz ) while the TV is on 5Ghz band. 

- The PS4pro seems to be stuck on 2.4Ghz for the same reason, with the console exactly 20cm from the router. WORKAROUND : Set "5Ghz only" in options, during the PS4 wifi setup. 

- If I enable/disable Guest Network, the router will go soft reboot and my clients all loose connection. The fun than begins with my sound system ( but this is my problem ) :).

- Guest Network seems to not care about "Access Control" I can connect without any authorization as long as I know the password.

- The app ( mobile/tablet correctly connected on Wifi ) a lot of times can not find the router. Web gui is OK, App > Remote connect is OK

- There seem to be some cookie problem on the Web Gui. If I leave the page open for a while it ask me to auth again, but even if I input the correct password it does not login. Refreshing the page and login work like a charm.

- Setting the name of an Alexa speaker ( echo dot in my case ) utterly breaks the router, all devices go to "Blocked" on access control ( WEB GUI ) and the traffic drops after a little while. Rebooting the MR60 fixes it but it loose the name inputted.

I hope you can look into this.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 3
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Little bugs found on MR60 ( MK62 )

Hello artenais82x,

If you recently purchased the device I would recommend contacting our support team as newly purchased devices are provided with 90 days of complimentary support. You may open a ticket by registering your device using the link below. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

You may also refer to the following link to submit new ideas in our Idea Exchange Board for new ideas to possibly be implemented in the future: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home

Christian 

Message 2 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: Little bugs found on MR60 ( MK62 )

@artenais82x wrote:

Good day to Netgear support,

Community here, not Netgear support....

@artenais82x wrote:

- There should be a "Prefer 5Ghz / 2.4 Ghz" on the device added. Please forgive me, i know that mesh is supposed to be on total semplification or ease of mind but there are sometimes extreme situation that becomes funny, like a sound satellites refusing to communicate with the TV set because they stuck on 2.4Ghz ( while they can work on 5Ghz ) while the TV is on 5Ghz band. 

Nothing the Mesh system can do - the preference would be a WiFI client thing (see your PS4pro!).

The normal (non-guest) SSID on 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz does all connect to the very same network, the very same LAN, so it's all L2 transparent - it does not matter how a device is connected!

@artenais82x wrote:

- The PS4pro seems to be stuck on 2.4Ghz for the same reason, with the console exactly 20cm from the router. WORKAROUND : Set "5Ghz only" in options, during the PS4 wifi setup. 

Unclear to me why the PS4pro should not be able to pick-up the 5 GHz BSSID. But nice proof that some WiFi client settings can help to achieve what the network admin want 8-)

@artenais82x wrote:

- If I enable/disable Guest Network, the router will go soft reboot and my clients all loose connection. The fun than begins with my sound system ( but this is my problem ) :).

This isn't nice, bot observed on various WiFi products. Definitively something that should be enhanced - what-for do we have the simple App control to enable/disable the guest network otherwise?

@artenais82x wrote:

- Guest Network seems to not care about "Access Control" I can connect without any authorization as long as I know the password.

It's intentional the Guest network does run outside off the access control.

@artenais82x wrote:

- The app ( mobile/tablet correctly connected on Wifi ) a lot of times can not find the router. Web gui is OK, App > Remote connect is OK

Have another wireless on air, e.g. on the the provider router? If not connected direct to the Netgear systems, only the Anywhere Access is possible.

@artenais82x wrote:

- There seem to be some cookie problem on the Web Gui. If I leave the page open for a while it ask me to auth again, but even if I input the correct password it does not login. Refreshing the page and login work like a charm.

Lazy coding or a bug. Could be browser specific, too. Please provide details like operating system, browser version for completeness.

@artenais82x wrote:

- Setting the name of an Alexa speaker ( echo dot in my case ) utterly breaks the router, all devices go to "Blocked" on access control ( WEB GUI ) and the traffic drops after a little while. Rebooting the MR60 fixes it but it loose the name inputted.

Welcome to Netgear - yet another user confirming this kind of issues! It's about poor sanitizing of the Web form input vs. the capabilities of the internal config, a buffer overflow, ...

Similar issue can be caused by WiFI clients supplying "wild" device names with the DHCP request by the way (popular examples are typically MacOS systems "Here is John Doe's Mac" blah" and so on).

I hope Netgear has open ears, hello @Christian_R  8-)

PS. I'll request to move the post to the dedicated Nighthawk Mesh System community section.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7