× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Log files bug on RAX120

Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Log files bug on RAX120

Hi

I have recently purchased the RAX120 and I've been watching the logs carefully and I've noticed after about five days all details of Dos attacks and port scans disappear.

I'm guessing this is a bug and I thought I would post to see if anyone else is suffering this issue and to maybe bring it to attention so maybe it can be corrected at some point of time.

Message 1 of 7
duckware
Prodigy

Is it just that old entries are disappearing, or that only lines here and there are disappearing?

If the first, I would blame a common bug (R7800 does same thing).  If the later, then I don't know.

Message 2 of 7
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

All dos attacks and scans simply don't show after about 5 days on the logs. Up to five days it's showing them. 
ive rebooted the router and set logs to be sent to me, after the reboots it's showing me dosattacks and scans but this will stop and I'll catch the exact time again when it happens.

Message 3 of 7

Logs are limited in how much data they can hold. As they fill they will drop old details.

Just what gets logged and what happens is for you to decide in the settings.

In most routers there is an option to get the logs sent to you by email.

By the way, most logs of dosattacks are "false positives".

I leave it to you to search this community for the many previous conversations about this.

Message 4 of 7
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Dosattacks don't worry me, I've had an XR500 a year so am well aware they are normal and not a concern.

its simply not showing any dosattacks after 5 days of use so for example after 5 days I look at today's log showing today's activities and nothing, it remains this way. If I go back to when the router was first booted it shows the dosattacks for just 5 days as I scroll up.

to make it super simple let's start from day 1 the 1st of January 

1st shows dosattacks

2nd shows dosattacks

3rd shows doesattacks

4th shows dosattacks

5th shows dosattacks

6th no dosattacks

7th no dosattacks 

and son and so on.

after 5 days of continuous use the logs failed to show any more dosattacks. So on the 6th and 7th I check the logs for those days and nothing. 

Message 5 of 7
Killhippie
Prodigy

I have raised this as a bug with support because the logs are not dropping off as they should on the RAX120 on 1.0.1.108 I have all of mine mine from the last time I rebooted it which is 22 or so days ago and it says initialise firmware etc and after a few days the known port scan and DoS logs stop being logged completely, but the rest continue and the logfile just grows huge with weeks of dats but no port scan or DoS logs, I even tried a sheilds up port scan which shold show upo, and does when the router is first rebooted but after a few days even running that wont get port scan and DoS logs to show. It started for me with the current version even after factory reset, Its been reported to Netgear now. 1.0.0.84 works fine log wise.

Message 6 of 7
duckware
Prodigy

If anyone is interested in a Win program that pulls down Netgear log files, contact me (follow link at bottom of duckware.com/wifi)

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7