× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Losing WiFi connection on RAX40 AX3000 Wi-Fi 6

BBQDave
Guide

Losing WiFi connection on RAX40 AX3000 Wi-Fi 6

RAX40 AX3000 Wi-Fi 6

Firmware Version: v1.0.3.80_1.0.1 (most current)

Enable AX and Enable Smart connect are both off because of issues with the PC I'm using has an older modem internally (at least I think that's why my company's IT folks had me turn those off?).

WiFi is regularly dropping.  Spoke to my Interent provider (Spectrum) thinking it may be a modem issue and they had me try changing the Channel settings from "Auto" to channel 11 and channel 157, respectively, for 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz.  They thought I was having some frequency interference.  Still dropping out.    Is there a better choice for which channel to use?  How would I know what's best?  Any other thoughts on my predicement?

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 26

Accepted Solutions
BBQDave
Guide

I hope it helps others.  I tossed my Netgear router and purchased a Linksys Dual-Band WiFi 6 Router model AX1800 three days ago.  Works perfect!  No drops and is super fast.  I highly recommend it and suggest anyone to toss their Netgear products.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 26

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What modem do you have? 

Since the update to the firmware you're on, have you tried a factory reset on the router? 

And then reinstalling it not using a backup?  This can help with the RAX devices since they got such significant firmware changes. 

If that doesn't help, you can try downgrading the firmware a version. Maybe the one you're on has a bug. 

Message 2 of 26
BBQDave
Guide

I did not do a factory reset after the firmware update. 

The modem is supplied by Spectrum and doesn't have a model name on it.

I've only had this router for about 4 months and initially I wasn't having this issue, but after about a month, this started happening.  When the issue started, it dropped out maybe once a week or so, but now it's a couple times a day.  To fix it, I turn off my modem and turn off my router, and re-start both.

I will add that this issue was happening prior to me updating the firmware on the router and I read that I should try using the most current firmware version if I'm having issues, and yet the same issue persists.

If I do a factory reset, will I have to change all my device settings that are connected to this router?  I only have like 20 but that would be a pain if it doesn't fix this issue.

Message 3 of 26
itsmehuey
Luminary

If you read all of the posts regarding wifi drops that everyone is having your know this is occurring mostly with the .80 firmware and the only workaround at the moment is to downgrade back to .64 firmware until Netgear finally release a fixed firmware to replace V .80. Beta has been tested for quite some time so I don’t understand what’s taking them so long.
Message 4 of 26
BBQDave
Guide

So here's the latest.

I downloaded an app on my phone called "WiFi Analyzer". It will show you which channels have the best connection and least interference for your router and location.  I changed the channels for both my 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz connections back on Thursday afternoon to one's that were shown to give the best signal.  I have not had a dropped signal since, compared to a couple times a day for the last month.  I'm not a real techy, and everything I went through would probably be way too confusing for the average person, so I certainly hope Netgear fixes whatever they need to fix in a firmware update, otherwise these types of routers will be a couple hundred-dollar pieces of junk.

Message 5 of 26
BBQDave
Guide

Well, I spoke too soon.  At least it's now only dropping out once every 3 days.  Happened the evening of the 26th and this afternoon again.  There's obviously some major issue with this firmware.  Looks like this model is a boat anchor.  If you have the chance to read through all of these posts, you should know not to buy this model; and it may be best to not buy Netgear products.  Go for LinkSys.

Message 6 of 26
itsmehuey
Luminary

OK after weeks and numerous follow ups to my L2 support representative, they finally have another beta for me to test.. RAX40-V1.0.3.83_1.0.10 dated 4th November 2020

I'll be testing and monitoring over the course of the week and will report back my findings and experience with the update.

Message 7 of 26
BBQDave
Guide

I hope it helps others.  I tossed my Netgear router and purchased a Linksys Dual-Band WiFi 6 Router model AX1800 three days ago.  Works perfect!  No drops and is super fast.  I highly recommend it and suggest anyone to toss their Netgear products.

Message 8 of 26
BBQDave
Guide

It's been a week and no drops!  Linksys is the way to go.

Message 9 of 26
melnictum
Aspirant

I have had this same exact problem for over a month now! Hooray! You are the first person I've found with the same experience albeit your device is slightly different. I've tried EVERYTHING: reboot, restore, download previous version of software, download latest version of software, adjust every channel, frequency, ax on/off, etc., and nothing works. The worst part is, I'm only running a macbook pro, firestick, kindle and two iphones on this router and it's either ridiculously slow or it's constantly dropping the signal every few minutes and reconnecting. I have had the Dos attacks and syn flood logs showing up with some questionable ip addresses too, but I think they're probably bogus.

How did you get a support rep to give you a beta firmware trial? I bought my router the end of May and it worked great until September. I don't want to pay for a support plan and I'm hoping I don't have to buy another router b/c this one was specifically recommended by the nerds at Best Buy. Support team, will you help me please?

It's worth a try. 🙂 Thanks in advance.

Message 10 of 26
itsmehuey
Luminary

@melnictum wrote:

How did you get a support rep to give you a beta firmware trial? I bought my router the end of May and it worked great until September. I don't want to pay for a support plan and I'm hoping I don't have to buy another router b/c this one was specifically recommended by the nerds at Best Buy. Support team, will you help me please?

It's worth a try. 🙂 Thanks in advance.

create a support case. if no one provides you with anything, escalate to a moderator here (e.g. @Christian_R)

Message 11 of 26
jiberesh
Guide

Im in the same boat with you. wifi keeps dropping. changed channels, turned off same settings. Still dropping. Did you ever get access to the beta software? Im tired of having the wifi drop while im in class or taking a test. My sisters are complaining at me nonstop. i dont want to buy the support thatll only last 6 months. 

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 12 of 26
itsmehuey
Luminary

@jiberesh wrote:

Im in the same boat with you. wifi keeps dropping. changed channels, turned off same settings. Still dropping. Did you ever get access to the beta software? Im tired of having the wifi drop while im in class or taking a test. My sisters are complaining at me nonstop. i dont want to buy the support thatll only last 6 months. 

keep pestering the support guys until you get some help and assistance to obtain the beta. i've already given the engineering team my feedback saying that the latest beta is rock solid so i dont understand why it's taking them so long to release a public update.

Message 13 of 26
jiberesh
Guide

How long do I have to pester them for? It’s been a week of contact and no sign of improvement. I just want the WiFi to not drop mid class.
Message 14 of 26

I have the same issue with mine and even replaced it with a refurbished from netgear support with same issue.   This is truly a real issue.  Support won't help you either and wait until warranty is up to toss you to the curb.

Message 15 of 26
jiberesh
Guide

I’m not paying 90$ for a problem that shouldn’t be there. That’s absurd.
Message 16 of 26

You are absolutely correct, Netgear needs to wake up on this one!

Message 17 of 26
itsmehuey
Luminary

yeah it's been a frustrating time with this router to say the least. I know some of us were lucky enough to get through to support by constant follow ups, pestering forum mods, going onto social media and so forth.. so just keep at it. I was able to get through to escalation @ L2 support by sending a PM to @Christian_R who helped me get in contact with them.

The current beta is stable, so there is no reason why they would hold out any longer to release a public version.

Message 18 of 26
itsmehuey
Luminary

@jiberesh wrote:
I’m not paying 90$ for a problem that shouldn’t be there. That’s absurd.

they really need to review this outright sham of a scam.. we've purchased a product with 12 months warranty. technical support SHOULD be included as part of this warranty.

Message 19 of 26
jiberesh
Guide

Im just buying a asus router. This is annoying. 

Message 20 of 26
jiberesh
Guide

they had me reset my network settings. And told me to call back if it drops. Ive done that 3 different times in the past week. The tech also told me that they dont have a beta firmware for this router. 

Message 21 of 26
jiberesh
Guide

Update: I went through the RMA and paid for the next day option because i have a final tommorow and cant have my wifi drop during that. My wifi dropped out mid process rma and never got conformation email. I got billed for it. Been on hold/ call backs since 415pm. never again will i buy a netgear product. This is the most aggrevating thing ive dealt with. 

Message 22 of 26
itsmehuey
Luminary

@jiberesh wrote:

Update: I went through the RMA and paid for the next day option because i have a final tommorow and cant have my wifi drop during that. My wifi dropped out mid process rma and never got conformation email. I got billed for it. Been on hold/ call backs since 415pm. never again will i buy a netgear product. This is the most aggrevating thing ive dealt with. 

sorry to say that even your replacement from the RMA is going to be dropping out as well.. it's not a hardware fault, it's firmware related. 

Message 23 of 26
jiberesh
Guide

they are going to get a headed phone call if it drops mid final. 

Message 24 of 26
itsmehuey
Luminary

@jiberesh wrote:

they are going to get a headed phone call if it drops mid final. 

do you mean a heated phone call? 🙂 all the best for your mid-final. I'd say for you to stay on version x.64 firmware to ensure you minimise any risk of drops.

Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 15 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7