Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

MR60 Mesh and Chromecast

Dano22
Follower

MR60 Mesh and Chromecast

I am wondering if there is going to be a fix for the NETGEAR - Nighthawk AX1800 Dual-Band Mesh Wi-Fi 6 System (2-Pack) with chromecast compatibilty. From all the forums that I see there is no actualy solution that is working as some people work and others dont.. So I am wondering to see if there are plans in place to have an update to be compatible with Chromecast, seeing how that is a widley used device in the streaming world, or even that it is a known issue to Netgear. If there are no plans or upcoming updates that will address then please let me know so I can just go and return this product.

Thank you

Dan O

Message 1 of 26
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: MR60 Mesh and Chromecast

Hello Dan,

If you recently purchased the device I would recommend contacting our support team as newly purchased devices are provided with 90 days of complimentary support. You may open a ticket by registering your device using the link below. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Christian 

Message 2 of 26
robertote
Initiate

@Dano22 @Christian_R is there a fix for this yet? The RIP Version workaround isn't working for me

Message 3 of 26
janieflames
Aspirant

Same issue. I spent 1 hour on the phone with Netgear support. We changed the channels and reinstalled the Chromecast, trying to test it out. By the end of the call, it seemed to work. Later that day, back to same problem. I spent $30 on long distance for the call BC I'm in Canada and the call was to California. I also want to return my product. Very frustrating.
Message 4 of 26
janieflames
Aspirant

I can tell you, too, that I have two Chromecasts. The one on the same floor as the router works fine. The one on the upper floor sits within 2 feet of the satellite (both located behind the TV) and doesn't work.
Message 5 of 26
BrissieGooner
Initiate

I have a similar problem. I find that the Chromecast located near the MS60 satellite when connected to the 5ghz band won't cast. When connected to the 2.4 ghz band it casts without problem.

A quick solution would be to manually connect the Chromecast to the 2.4 ghz band but according to Netgear support the Nighthawk automatically connects the devices to the 2.4 and 5 ghz bands. 
This is something Netgear need to address. 

Message 6 of 26
Rivinence
Tutor

I have the Nighthawk MK62 Bundle (1 MR60 router, 1 MS60 satellite) running firmware V1.0.6.102_2.0.45. I, like everyone else was having issues with my Google casting devices. What ended up working for me was to uncheck "Disable IGMP Proxying". Ever since I did that everything has been running smoothly. I hope this will help someone out there.
Message 7 of 26
thart4352
Initiate

I have the MR60 Mesh network & a house full of Chromecast devices.  I purchased the MR60 system in anticipation of our upcoming fiber installation with the hope of good network performance throughout the home.  We have been continually frustrated that our chromecasts over wifi simply do not work on this system.  The ONLY time they work is when casting from a PC, or after factory resets and the setup wizard on the chromecast every time we attempt to cast to them.  They continually disconnect from the network when using a mobile device... android or IOS over wifi.  I am attempting some of the settings I see recommended in this forum (kudos to you all!).  However, it would be great if the Netgear forum  moderators would take the abundant evidence in these forums and get it to Netgear Dev to correct the issue in an upcoming patch.  It should not require all of us calling in spending troubleshooting time with customer service trying to resolve this when it is clearly a known and widespread issue.  My generally new chromecasts should work with my brand new MR60 mesh wifi.  Ensuring that systems work with common devices is a minimum viable product requirement it would seem.  

Message 8 of 26
MisterIsaak
Initiate

@ChristianR, is there any awknowledgement from Netgear on this? There's numerous threads reporting the issue. How else can we report the problem and get a response? I've been following these threads for months now and not a single response or fix from Netgear. Ridiculous to say the least when we've all spend hundreds on these mesh setups.

Message 9 of 26
MisterIsaak
Initiate

Appologies, I referenced the wrong user. Meant to reach out to, @Christian_R 

@MisterIsaak wrote:

@ChristianR, is there any awknowledgement from Netgear on this? There's numerous threads reporting the issue. How else can we report the problem and get a response? I've been following these threads for months now and not a single response or fix from Netgear. Ridiculous to say the least when we've all spend hundreds on these mesh setups.

Message 10 of 26
janieflames
Aspirant

I returned the MR60 Mesh back to the store and purchased Google Nest. It works perfectly with my two Chromecasts and the satellite even works as a speaker for radio, podcasts or music, and a Google assistant. When they accepted the Netgear product back at the store I felt a huge sense of relief that it was gone and I had my money back! Netgear, you guys screwed up! Why the heck is your product not compatible with Chromecast? And if it's not compatible with Chromecast, what other devices is it not compatible with? 

Message 11 of 26
Gbiddy
Aspirant

This also worked for me. Thank you!

Message 12 of 26
Sanjith92
Star

Worked for me after disabling 'IGMP proxy' under Advance --> Setup --> WAN setup . 

Apparantly IGMP proxy will block all muticast packets and convert them to unicast packets  , that may be the reason it only works if your device is connected to main router and dont work when its connected to satellite . 

IGMP proxy is helpful in reducing the number of packets on network , but for home network you may not feel any difference with speed when its disabled . 

Message 13 of 26
Prestoh888
Guide

i did this (disable IGMP processing) and also the RIP direction (both and version = rip_1) - and was able to get one chromecast working, but not another one.  Damn netgear !!!

Message 14 of 26
Sanjith92
Star

Upgrade to the latest firmware , that fixed the Chromecast issue and other connectivity issue with my satellite .
Message 15 of 26
Sanjith92
Star

Latest firmware is v1.1.6.122
Message 16 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@Dano22 wrote:

I am wondering if there is going to be a fix for the NETGEAR - Nighthawk AX1800 Dual-Band Mesh Wi-Fi 6 System (2-Pack) with chromecast compatibilty. From all the forums that I see there is no actualy solution that is working as some people work and others dont.. So I am wondering to see if there are plans in place to have an update to be compatible with Chromecast, seeing how that is a widley used device in the streaming world, or even that it is a known issue to Netgear. If there are no plans or upcoming updates that will address then please let me know so I can just go and return this product.

Thank you

Dan O

Message 17 of 26
Prestoh888
Guide

ok, so i noticed on the box there is a special costco call number for support - so i called it this morning and got thru like right away.  She had me log into the router and go to settings/advanced/advanced setup/wireless settings - and then uncheck the "Enable AX" box. Then i went thru and was able to connect all (3) of my chromecast devices - SUCCESS FINALLY !!!  So i did three setting changes on the router - the first 2 didnt seem to work, but the third did - ummmmmmm.

I'll keep it for a bit - if it flakes up again, im taking it directly back to Costco and getting the google mesh system !!!

Message 18 of 26
Gbiddy
Aspirant

Netgear router does not show that update.

Went to the netgear website clicked on the mr60, the clicked downloads. It was there.
Message 19 of 26
Prestoh888
Guide

my firmware is Version V1.0.6.116_2.0.54 - and is the latest per the update firmware button and the agent ...

Message 20 of 26
Prestoh888
Guide

bugger - my netgear nighthawk ax1800 / mk63 does - sorry ...

Message 21 of 26
Gbiddy
Aspirant

Same here...
Went to the netgear website clicked on the mr60, the clicked downloads. It was there.
Message 22 of 26
shaun_s
Star

Prestoh888,

Changing the settings don't work.  (It may seem to work, but after a while the devices connect back to the sattelite and the problem returns.)  The problem was around since the router was first released. Netgear has only recently addressed and fixed the issue.

The solution is to upgrade to the latest firmware (1.1.6.122).  If the upgrade button doesn't work then you'll have to do it manually.  You can download the new firmware from here:

https://kb.netgear.com/000064370/MR60-MS60-Firmware-Version-1-1-6-122

Message 23 of 26
Prestoh888
Guide

ok - i did the firmware update - was a bit difficult as the instructions said use the app on my S20 android, but i could not get that to work - so i had to hook ethernet into it from my laptop and do it manually - and the slowness of it made it a challenge.

Also - the screen when you login to the app showed no updated were available  ...

Bottom line - their app leaves a lot to be desired ...

That all said - it seemed to fix the chromecast problem - and the (3) of them I have not seem to be working great, finally !!

So, my next problem, now my alexa does not talk to my Hue bridge - ahhhhhhhh, and grrrrrrrrr - the Hue bridge works fine with the Hue app on my S20, but not thru Alexa, I assume due to the mesh ...  gonna search about for a solution to this, next, problem - grrrrrrrr ....

But on the bright side, thanks for the pointers on the mesh update for the chromecast 🙂

thanks

Dave

Message 24 of 26
Callesto
Aspirant

The only way I can cast to my Chromecast 100% is to disable "Access control". If I use "Parental control", it turns access control back on and I loose the ability to cast. Netgear, please fix this in the next firmware update. It's so annoying.

This wasn't a problem on my rax40...
Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 26 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7