Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: MR60 constantly pinging www.netgear.com ??

Mini4x
Guide

MR60 constantly pinging www.netgear.com ??

I recently got the MR60/MS60 combo and after 2 days switched back to my old router, and set these in AP only mode, as the router has a very simple (poor) feature set.

But that said, I noticed in my DNS logs the MR60 run 30-35,000 hits a day on www.netgear.com, and that alone really makes me wonder what it's doing and why, and I'm on the fence about just returning the entire system now. I don't need this level of spam traffic from a wireless ap.

81,000 hits in about 48 hours.

2021-03-17 08:25:07Awww.netgear.com192.168.1.75OK (cached)IP (0.8ms) 
2021-03-17 08:25:06Awww.netgear.com192.168.1.75OK (cached)IP (0.8ms) 
2021-03-17 08:25:05Awww.netgear.com192.168.1.75OK (cached)IP (1.6ms) 
2021-03-17 08:25:04Awww.netgear.com192.168.1.75OK (cached)IP (0.8ms) 
2021-03-17 08:25:03Awww.netgear.com192.168.1.75OK (cached)IP (0.8ms) 
2021-03-17 08:25:02Awww.netgear.com192.168.1.75OK (cached)IP (0.8ms) 
2021-03-17 08:25:01Awww.netgear.com192.168.1.75OK (cached)IP (0.8ms) 
2021-03-17 08:25:00Awww.netgear.com192.168.1.75OK (cached)IP (0.6ms) 
2021-03-17 08:24:59Awww.netgear.com192.168.1.75OK (cached)IP (0.8ms) 
Top Permitted Domains
Domain Hits Frequency
www.netgear.com81469 
Message 1 of 15
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Mini4x,

Our engineering team is aware of this and it should be addressed on the next firmware version. We currently do not have an ETA on the next firmware release.

Christian 

Message 2 of 15
Mini4x
Guide

I wa sdoing some further digging and I found our it's actually thr sattelite (MS60) not the router (MR60).

Message 3 of 15
Tofu-Golem
Apprentice

Under ideal conditions, WiFi 5 can get over 1 gbps. Chances are that your ISP connectionIt's less than that.

Unless you have a local file server or NAS, it is unlikely that you will notice the increase in throughput. If you have a large number of WiFi 6 client devices, you'll definitely notice the difference.

There's a good chance that you won't notice much improvement at home. At home, it is mostly just about future-proofing. The next time you're at a tech conference and thousands are trying to use WiFi at the same time, you should notice a very big difference.

If you are thinking of buying a mesh router and can't use an ethernet backhaul, wait for a WiFi 6e mesh router later this year that uses the new 6 GHz band as a backhaul.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 4 of 15
Mini4x
Guide

I think you replied to teh wrong thread here 🙂

Message 5 of 15
Mini4x
Guide

Months later and no responses, and still hammer away on my internet connections.

Message 6 of 15
Razor512
Prodigy

It definitely shouldn't ping that often, though they do use the ping to keep the WAN (internet) status accurate. e.g., if it says good, then that means it was able to ping an external address. If the satellite device has an internet status display, then it will likely also try to ping an external server to check if has a working internet connection and not simply just a WAN IP address.

Hopefully in your case, someone will be able to give a status update on if they adjusted how often it pings.

Message 7 of 15
Mini4x
Guide

No joke every second aporx 85,000x a day. Its Insane.

Message 8 of 15
Kaherdin
Guide

I have a MR60 router and a MS60 satellite. 

Three months ago Netgear replaced my MS60 at no cost. The issue; Three pings from MS60 to "www.netgear.com" each second. 

Now, with the new MS60 I have the same issue. And now the Tech Support claims that the pings are a "feature". 

Who are they trying to fool?! As if a mesh system "requires" constant external pinging to function? I think not. 

The MR60-system in my home is to be replaced, and I'm not likely to buy a new Netgear product, thats for sure. 

"Hello Mr xxxxx

i recived feeedback from egineers regarding your case.
This ping is a way to spot any disconnections and is not a bug or an issue it is a part of system software.
Thank you"

Message 9 of 15
Razor512
Prodigy

I wonder if they are misunderstanding the issue and looking at the purpose of the pings but completely missing the nuance in how often it pings.

If it is really pinging so often, then while it will mean on one hand that the response time is extremely fast to any internet connectivity issues, there needs to be an evaluation as to how fast the response time should be to when a WAN issue happens and when it actually detects the issue.

Message 10 of 15
Mini4x
Guide

It's also hitting NTP request every second as well. And some netgear location service.

Will definitely be repalcing this with something else, and never touching another netgear product as well.

Message 11 of 15
rdecarte
Aspirant

I had the same problem with my R7900P and have resolved it on my system.  It's a seriousy brain-dead bug.

I'm running in AP mode.   Symptoms:

DNS queries issued for 'www.netgear.com' and also '.' more than once a second, as well as seeing pings to netgear every second.  The query for '.' is invalid and was returning 'no answer'.

Advanced -> Administration -> NTP Settings.  I had "Set your preferred NTP server" enabled and had set to a valid host name for Primary NTP Server.  I changed that to an IP address and the problem is resolved.  Now I get a www.netgear.com DNS lookup and ping only once every 30 seconds, and the DNS lookup for '.' has quit.

For kicks, i put in "IP1,IP2" in the blank.  It then did a DNS lookup of that full string, which is of course invalid.  But it seems to indicate the problem - the '.' lookup would seem to be a lookup resulting from bad parsing of the host name.

YMMV - This may not be the only cause, but it is definitely one of them.

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 12 of 15
Kaherdin
Guide

A firmware update resolved the issue for me.... 

haha

they apparently f**ked up the code somewhere. 

Message 13 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 14 of 15
BlackDahlia
Aspirant

Sorry about necrothreading, but I posted almost exactly the same thread when I first got mine.  I ended up blocking netgear com with my PiHole because of it. 

The firmware above helped, now the satellites dont ping, but the base unit still pings every 5 seconds.  This is stupid.  If netgear cant get their act together and slow this WAY down, as in, no more than once every 5 min, they need to let us shut it off ourselves.

Capture.JPG

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7