× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Misleading VPN advertising - RAX40 - Poor customer service - DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT FOR VPN

sandro_s
Aspirant

Misleading VPN advertising - RAX40 - Poor customer service - DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT FOR VPN

Do not buy this router if you want to connect to a VPN service such as NordVPN, expressvpn or any external vpn service. The advertisiement of this router stating it has VPN support is misleading. The router can only function as a VPN server and not connect to a VPN service as a VPN client. 

I have called Netgear over 25 times for over 5-weeks and spent over 12 hours on phone calls being put on hold, call backs and customer care/support never calling back. I have been transferred to 2 different departments and no one is helping. 

The AX wifi of the router is horrible, it cut my ISP speed in half, tech support could not find the problem and couldnt get a level 2 tech support agent to call me back in over 3 weeks for this issue. 

The support of Netgear is horrible to put it nicely. The tech support agents provide no functional help, assistance and demonstrate 5% knowledge of their product. 

If you are looking to buy a router purchase Linksys or Dlink, their customer support has much greater technical knowledge. 

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Misleading VPN advertising - RAX40 - Poor customer service - DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT FOR VPN

Hello sandro_s, 

Welcome to the community! May you send me a private message with your email address and case number(s). I'd like to look into your case further for you. 

Regards,

Christian 

Message 2 of 4
sandro_s
Aspirant

Re: Misleading VPN advertising - RAX40 - Poor customer service - DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT FOR VPN

Hi Christian. Thanks for the reply. After providing my experience to the retailer they returned the router even against their own return policy. The stores return policy was 14 days and they took it back after 7 weeks!!! There were over 14 cases created by netgear and netgear kept closing my cases even after the problem was not resolved. You like everyone else at netgear after speaking with at lesst 20 different agents, 25 phone calls and at lesst over 15 hours on the phone = no results. This router is not able to connect as a VPN client yet the marketing material, website labelled the router as having "VPN support"= misleading! And the router halved my ISP speed. Netgear customer service and tech support is horrible to be nice. Every tech agent that called didnt know the difference between creating a VPN client or VPN server. I ended up buying an Asus gt-ac2900 and it does what is says it does. And when I call tech support at Asus they actually put me into contact with a tech agent that understands the questions at hand and if they they don't know I get an email from an engineer!!!! That's service from a company that cares about its customers. Instead of trying to help me don't waste your time I will never buy netgear. Instead help your customers and stop providing misleading information and act responsibly when a mistake is made
Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 3 of 4
Arely
Aspirant

This works really well for us, thank you!  myaarpmedicare.com

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7