× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Mixing Tri Band Router and Dual Band Extender

BoutrosLowe
Initiate

Mixing Tri Band Router and Dual Band Extender

I am looking to add a Wi Fi 6 extender to improve coverage at home but was not sure of what if any implications there are when the Router is tri-band AX11000 (and has one channel for backhaul) but EAX80 is only dual band? What impact does that on have on performance even though the range has improved?

Am I better off adding the Tri-Band EX7700 even if it doesn't support Wi-Fi 6 and has slow performance (AC2200)?

All very confusing!

Model: EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender, RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Mixing Tri Band Router and Dual Band Extender

so single/dual band extenders drop speeds 50% because they have to use the same chip for going router---->extender and then extender---->device   and the chip can't do both at once. 

But the EAX80 is an AX6000 with the 5ghz being 4800mbps.  So even if you cut its throughput in half its a 2400mbps (link speed) adapter. Which is still faster than the triband line. 

But I haven't actually tested a EAX extender to compare. 

I do have an EX8000 that works great but theoretically the EAX80 should be faster. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: Mixing Tri Band Router and Dual Band Extender

so single/dual band extenders drop speeds 50% because they have to use the same chip for going router---->extender and then extender---->device   and the chip can't do both at once. 

But the EAX80 is an AX6000 with the 5ghz being 4800mbps.  So even if you cut its throughput in half its a 2400mbps (link speed) adapter. Which is still faster than the triband line. 

But I haven't actually tested a EAX extender to compare. 

I do have an EX8000 that works great but theoretically the EAX80 should be faster. 

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7