× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Model RAX40 wifi router has to be restarted daily

jcrafty
Initiate

Model RAX40 wifi router has to be restarted daily

I lose wifi daily at my business with this router.  My modem is perfectly fine and stable, but I lose wifi daily. Sometimes twice. 

is this router defective?  How do I know if I have interference of some kind?

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
gsuburban
Tutor

I'm going to take an uneducated guess that the router's WiFi "channel" is interfering with something else or something else not related such as a microwave, might be interfering with the WiFi.  I have an R6700v3 set for Access Point needs wired to another WiFi from the ISP which is the "modem" for the LAN. I read that the WiFi channels should be set on both devices to be different, not the same, to help with laptops and smart phones connecting to one WiFi device to another as they move farther away from one and closer to the other. That works but not perfectly. So, the R6700v3 was set to channel 1 for 2.4 ghz WiFi.  Worked just fine for a couple of months from being new but then I noticed the WiFi printer on the LAN would lose connection and that printer only has 2.4 ghz technology. Notice a smart phone would not connect to the 2.4 ghz channel but it would with the 5 ghz channel. The only solution of many I tried was to reboot the R6700v3 and then all WiFi devices on the 2.4 ghz band would reconnect but would then fail again after about 3 days or so. Same fix was rebooting the access point again and again after 3 or so days, disconnects would occur but only on the 2.4 ghz band.

I had changed the 2.4 ghz band to a different channel so I moved it from channel 1 to I believe 6 and the problem went away. My guess there was some kind of interferance occuring. No issues since then and its been months with complete functioning.  The Netgear R6700v3 had the latest firmware at the time which would have been around September 2020 v1.0.4.102. While making those changes I did notice there was a channel setting "auto" however, because of the other modem/router on the LAN, I decided to set those channels to be fixed.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
gsuburban
Tutor

I'm going to take an uneducated guess that the router's WiFi "channel" is interfering with something else or something else not related such as a microwave, might be interfering with the WiFi.  I have an R6700v3 set for Access Point needs wired to another WiFi from the ISP which is the "modem" for the LAN. I read that the WiFi channels should be set on both devices to be different, not the same, to help with laptops and smart phones connecting to one WiFi device to another as they move farther away from one and closer to the other. That works but not perfectly. So, the R6700v3 was set to channel 1 for 2.4 ghz WiFi.  Worked just fine for a couple of months from being new but then I noticed the WiFi printer on the LAN would lose connection and that printer only has 2.4 ghz technology. Notice a smart phone would not connect to the 2.4 ghz channel but it would with the 5 ghz channel. The only solution of many I tried was to reboot the R6700v3 and then all WiFi devices on the 2.4 ghz band would reconnect but would then fail again after about 3 days or so. Same fix was rebooting the access point again and again after 3 or so days, disconnects would occur but only on the 2.4 ghz band.

I had changed the 2.4 ghz band to a different channel so I moved it from channel 1 to I believe 6 and the problem went away. My guess there was some kind of interferance occuring. No issues since then and its been months with complete functioning.  The Netgear R6700v3 had the latest firmware at the time which would have been around September 2020 v1.0.4.102. While making those changes I did notice there was a channel setting "auto" however, because of the other modem/router on the LAN, I decided to set those channels to be fixed.

Message 2 of 6
plemans
Guru

@jcrafty wrote:

I lose wifi daily at my business with this router.  My modem is perfectly fine and stable, but I lose wifi daily. Sometimes twice. 

is this router defective?  How do I know if I have interference of some kind?

What modem do you have? 

What firmware is on the router? Since the purchse and update of the firmware, has a factory reset been tried with a clean install (not from backup)?

Message 3 of 6
gsuburban
Tutor

Seems that you should log into the router and check for firmware updates and then confirm the setting are proper. If you aren't familiar with this process, your best solution is to hire this done by an experienced network technician. WiFi being lost needs to be explained in more detail such as, it works after restarting the router but stops after so many minutes, did this occur from day one and how long has this been occuring and how long since you bought this router.

Message 4 of 6
jcrafty
Initiate

Firmware was up to date.  But I did change the channel. It was set on auto, and changed it to 6.  Haven't had an issue in 3 days now. Longest I have gone without having to reboot. 

Thanks for the suggestion.

Message 5 of 6
Sscop
Aspirant

I've had the exact same issue, I contacted support which I was able to talk to, however at the time it was working, so they wouldn't upgrade my ticket, and by day 2 when it crashed, they closed my ticket. So I'd have to start all over again.

I've rebooted from the begining, and ensured I have the most up to date firmware.
I signed onto the Router and adjusted the channel to Channel 6 also as that had the least interference. Support also had me adjust a speed of something from 1500 to 1492, not sure what it was...

All the lights remained on both the router and modem, yet the network just disappeares and the wired connection to the TV says no internet. (When I turned off the router the tv said disconnected)
It's so frustrating because its randome. We lasted 2.5 days before having to turn off and back on to work again.
If anyone knows a resolution that would be great. I don't want to return it...
Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7