× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Modem to nighthawk connection

awdtsi98
Follower

Modem to nighthawk connection

Hi everyone, just curious.. i recently received gigabit internet at home and got a new arris modem xb6.. the wifi works pretty good but my house is 3 levels and is kind of shotty from my basement where the modem is to the upstairs.. I have a nighthawk r6700v3.. would i be able to get stronger signal utilizing this device for wifi instead of the arris?

If i operate in AP mode, it would need to be on the second floor with a long cat cable to benefit my connection correct?

I need suggestions, also should i bridge mode modem to nighthawk AP or leave modem alone and just boot up nighthawk regular mode and shut off the radios on modem. Help please and thank you.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2

Re: Modem to nighthawk connection

@awdtsi98 wrote:

If i operate in AP mode, it would need to be on the second floor with a long cat cable to benefit my connection correct?

Yes, unless you use  Powerline Ethernet instead of a "long cat cable".

I need suggestions, also should i bridge mode modem to nighthawk AP or leave modem alone and just boot up nighthawk regular mode and shut off the radios on modem.

If your modem provides wifi, then it is a modem/router. Turning off its wifi will not disable the router. If you throw in the R6700v3 you will have two routers on your network, which is generally a bad idea.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

If you don't need the wifi from the modem/router, then "bridge mode" is probably best. If you want two different wifi sources, the AP mode for the R6700v3 might be easiest.

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7