× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ms80 with wired satellite

Lbodie
Guide

Ms80 with wired satellite

I have the nighthawk wifi 6 with two satellites. I’d like to put one satellite at the other end of a wireless point to point network (ubiquit m5). Nothing I do can recognize the satellite AP. It’s hardwired to a switch on the other side of the point to point wireless. I can plug in other APs or other network devices and they work fine. Does the nighthawk Ethernet backhaul have to be directly connected to the nighthawk router? That’s seems really stupid.
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Reason I say that is I've seen some of the green functions/managed functions cause issues with the orbi systems. It could be as well with many mesh systsems. 

If its working without the point to point system, then I'd be checking some of the settings on the point to point system to see what could cause it. (maybe check with ubiquiti)

Or you might run into the same issue with whatever system you get. 

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
plemans
Guru

I've seen people use point to point systems with orbi and it should work with the MK system. 

If you directly connect it to the point to point system and not through the switch, does it work?

Message 2 of 9
Lbodie
Guide

I have netgear PoE switches on each end providing the power. I guess one option would be to direct wire it to the router first, get it configured and then try to move it. 

Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

that'd be a good option to try. 

I've never used that ubiquiti setup so I'm not sure if it has any dhcp capacity that could be causing conflicts. 

Message 4 of 9
Lbodie
Guide

The Ubiquiti is just a pass through, no DHCP. I put the satellite on the end with the same netgear PoE switch that the router is on, factory reset and it showed up and worked as a wired satellite. Unplugged, took it to the remote end and it did not work, though it had a link to the switch. I suspecrt the the satellite must be able to talk wirelessly to the router, though that makes no sense. I give up. I am going to return the system.

Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

do you have any non-poe switches (unmanged switches) you could try? 

Message 6 of 9
Lbodie
Guide

I don't. It works fine on the host side switch. 

Message 7 of 9
plemans
Guru

Reason I say that is I've seen some of the green functions/managed functions cause issues with the orbi systems. It could be as well with many mesh systsems. 

If its working without the point to point system, then I'd be checking some of the settings on the point to point system to see what could cause it. (maybe check with ubiquiti)

Or you might run into the same issue with whatever system you get. 

Message 8 of 9
Lbodie
Guide

I appreciate your help. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements