× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Multigig WAN

eugene_d
Aspirant

Multigig WAN

Guys,

A lot of provider offer now 10Gbit WAN now. 

So Can you explain why Netgear dont implement at least 5Gb WAN for RAX500 or RAX200 ?

They think that 1 router for 1 client ? 🙂 Or what they logic is? 🙂

Thanks.

Message 1 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Re: Multigig WAN

@eugene_d wrote:

A lot of provider offer now 10Gbit WAN now. 

So Can you explain why Netgear dont implement at least 5Gb WAN for RAX500 or RAX200 ?

Not Netgear, just yet another user out here ....

The majority of the ISP offering 10Gb/s services are coming bundled with a CPE combining dual and triple play features like Internet, IPTV, Telephony - and typically coming very good routers, wireless, ... Last but not least, the 10Gb Ethernet port (some ISPs opt for CPEs with 2.5G or 5G only) ae just NAT routed, the plain public IP address a available on the CPE supplied. And then the 10G on the CPEs ports might support 10G and 1G, but no MultiGig to allow 2.5G or 5G.

Should you think about bypassing the ISP CPE and bring the Fiber direct to your own router, be aware this works in plain FTTH environments only. To save installation resources, PON and XGS-PON is used, so you need not only a fiber module working on the correct color pair (TX and RX use different colors for the obvious reason, so do other users on the same passive mux. Further on, to isolate the traffic for the 16, 32, 64, or 128 CPEs, each CPE does use encryption, too.

The management and technology is often vendor proprietary, what makes it virtually impossible.for the free router market. that's why you won't find many of these devices - being 10G/MultiGig Ethernet WAN, beeing SFP+ WAN.  

Message 2 of 6
eugene_d
Aspirant

I understand this. But now I have an 10Gbit Internet in home. 

Provider gave me Nokia XGS-Pon router with 1 Ethernet LAN for 10Gbit.

I connected it to my SFP+ Mirktoik router. And now my idea to get good couple wi-fi routers.

Cause in our flat we have an office and childten who learn remotely. So W-Fi should be 3 band. But it would be good if it will have 5Gb at least WAN. I found Asus but it is only 2 band but 10Gbit. And honestly say last time when I have contact with Asus it was terrible. I had to restart it very often.

Then I switched to Apple Extreme AirPort, then to Synology. But now time to choose one new brand. 🙂 And Netgear looks good but they dont have 3 band with 5Gb WAN 😞 

Message 3 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Why on earth considering the installation of crappy consumer WiFi routers (adding multiple NAT and creating multiple networks) instead of simply eploying a bunch of wireess access points, like the Netgear WAC6xx models?

Message 4 of 6
eugene_d
Aspirant

I think about it exactly. but i cant find review with comparing performance, what latency is there.

Message 5 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Essentially you build a 10G/MultiGig (ideally with PoE+ or PoE++ support eg. for the APs) with links where you intend to deploy wireless access points, where you need wired connection for printers and so on. As you already have a powerful router from what I understand, I guess you will keep that one. Latency? Switches are switches, small business class wireless access points are just wireless APs, no NAT router, ... 

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7