× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Mx62 mesh and smart devices

Wildcat25321
Aspirant

Mx62 mesh and smart devices

I'm trying to connect various devices to my Wi-Fi and the devices only recognize 2.4ghz. How can I turn off the 5ghz radio while I'm connecting these devices?

Message 1 of 4
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Mx62 mesh and smart devices

Hello Wildcat25321, 

If your devices only recognize the 2.4ghz they will connect only to the 2.4 ghz.

Christian 

Message 2 of 4
Wildcat25321
Aspirant

Thanks for the feedback. I'm by no means savy when it comes to technology so everything I understand about this I've learned through reading, forums, etc. It is my understanding that part of the Netgear MX62 mesh system is software that chooses the radio or frequency the device is receiving based on signal strength. In other words, these system are dual band systems but the user cannot select the band that is being used.

I've read that when connecting smart devices, they look to the app (on my phone) to obtain the IP address of the router/ modem. Since the phone is in range of 5ghz, that is what it is connected to and when the device tries to read the signal, it can't.

So really my question was probably more for Netgear, can you provide a way to turn off 5ghz so that we can connect our smart devices?

Message 3 of 4
Wildcat25321
Aspirant

Fixed. Take the phone to the corner of the house until the app shows its connected to 2.4, then connect devices.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7