× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

My Night Hawk RAX 70 is VERY slow only on ONE device

Punterab80
Aspirant

My Night Hawk RAX 70 is VERY slow only on ONE device

Hi I have a problem that Netgear Support has given up on and can't solve. I thought I would " pick the brains" of the community for any ideas. My Wifi 6 night hawk router connects fine and fast to all my devices except one. My Windows 10 set up.

My home wifi is rated at 600mbs down. I regularly get wifi down of more than that all over the house sometimes 620 down.

My Windows 10 computer gets 20-40 mbs down. I turned off the smart connect and separated the bands. I confirmed my Windows set up is on the Network " 5ghz 2 " although it is slow with all of them. I reset the Netgear router to factory (latest firmware) and started from scratch.  I nuked the computer and re installed windows 10 from scratch....... Same problem.

I am so frustrated trying to solve this.  If I shut down this router and plug in another wireless router I get super fast speeds to this very same set up!   Any ideas of things I could try?

it is something about the way this computer connects to the Netgear..........

Thanks 

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Razor512
Prodigy

Re: My Night Hawk RAX 70 is VERY slow only on ONE device

The windows driver update is typically just for generic drivers, thus it will not find official ones.

I don't have much experience with apple systems, though I think bootcamp has a driver package that users need to install after installing the OS.

Beyond that, you may need to find the adapter model number. In device manager, you can find it by heading to details and then looking for the hardware IDs from the dropdown menu, and the first entry will have the model number.

Beyond that, one of the issues seems to be the generic drivers not properly supporting protected management frames where if they are turned on in the router's WiFi settings (some WiFi routers have then on by default), it will cause some devices to perform slowly. In which case, better drivers or needed, or protected management frames must be turned off in the advanced WiFi settings (may be labeled as PMF)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
Razor512
Prodigy

Which WiFi adapter is the PC using?

Also is the WiFi adapter using generic drivers, or the official drivers for the adapter?

Message 2 of 7
Punterab80
Aspirant

I looked at “device manager “ and it just says
“Broadcom 802.11 ac Network Adapter” when I click update drivers it says “Best driver for this device already installed”. My computer is an IMac 2020 running windows in boot camp. When the computer is running as a Mac it connects to the net gear very fast. When I use a different router the same windows setup connects to other routers super fast.
Message 3 of 7
Razor512
Prodigy

The windows driver update is typically just for generic drivers, thus it will not find official ones.

I don't have much experience with apple systems, though I think bootcamp has a driver package that users need to install after installing the OS.

Beyond that, you may need to find the adapter model number. In device manager, you can find it by heading to details and then looking for the hardware IDs from the dropdown menu, and the first entry will have the model number.

Beyond that, one of the issues seems to be the generic drivers not properly supporting protected management frames where if they are turned on in the router's WiFi settings (some WiFi routers have then on by default), it will cause some devices to perform slowly. In which case, better drivers or needed, or protected management frames must be turned off in the advanced WiFi settings (may be labeled as PMF)

Message 4 of 7
Punterab80
Aspirant

Thank you Razor512. That sounds like something worth a try. Out of curiosity, what does PMF do? And will I suffer on any of my other devices that work so well right now? In the last few minutes I found a “work around “ I disabled the Broadcom network adapter, used an old Asus usb dongle ( wireless adapter) that is more than 5 years old . It works just great !!!! Go figure! It would be nice not to have to though. I will investigate your suggestion . Thank you .
Message 5 of 7
Razor512
Prodigy

This site offers a good amount of detail on protected management frames. https://www.wi-fi.org/beacon/philipp-ebbecke/protected-management-frames-enhance-wi-fi-network-secur...

It is also a requirement for WPA 3.

Message 6 of 7
Punterab80
Aspirant

You are my HERO!!!!!! It worked! A month of back and forth with Net gear support and you solve it with your first suggestion!! Thank you so much you have saved me so much grief.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7