× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

My RAX120 Internet connection was disconnected frequently.

DannyLin
Apprentice

My RAX120 Internet connection was disconnected frequently.

I bought my RAX120 just about 3 months ago and I'm happy with it. I also have a Netgear EX7700 extender in my living room.

Recently, when I'm watching TV via my Chromecast (connected via EX7700 to RAX120), I found the connection is frequently lost.

I don't know why. So I just launch my Nighthawk app and found it showed my RAX120's Internet connection status is : Disconnected.

I then realize that the Internet connection was lost. And that is the main reason why my Chromecast lost the connection.

I have my RAX120 connected to my VDSL modem via PPPoE. And when my RAX120's Internet connection was lost, I'm sure my VDSL is still connected to the Internet.

Anyone know how to fix this problem?

I'm now typing this post on my PC connected directly via a Ethernet cable to the RAX120, and the connection keeps on and off about every 5 to 10 minutes. 

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: My RAX120 Internet connection was disconnected frequently.

Hi Danny, 

Have you tried moving your chromecast to a different TV in your home to see if the issue persists? 

Christian 

Message 2 of 6
DannyLin
Apprentice

@Christian_R wrote:

Hi Danny, 

Have you tried moving your chromecast to a different TV in your home to see if the issue persists? 

Christian 

Hi Christian,

It has nothing to do with my Chromecast bacause all connected devices (2 iPhones, 1 Macbook) are also not able to access the Internet.

I tried to switch it back to DHCP for a couple days. I don't seemed to see any connection issue anymore.
But then the Internet connection was disconnected last night.

I realise I will have to reboot my RAX120 to make it connected again. But before I tried to reboot, I checked my RAX120 log and something very strange.(attached)

There's a DoS Attack on port 443 and it is very close to the time that my Internet connection was disconnected. I couldn't find any setting that I can alter or fix this. I tried to not to reboot and see how it will go.

In about 5 to 10 mins after the "DoS Attack" timestamp, my RAX120 re-connect to the Internet again. I think my previous setting with PPPoE might be related to this as I remember I also checked my log and there're DoS Attacks as well.

Can you please shed some light on this?

Message 3 of 6
DannyLin
Apprentice

Hi Christian,

Allow me to add more info here.

So after I switched to DHCP, everything seemed to be fine. But it was once disconnected then.
I checked my settings and learned from a friend to turn off UPnP to prevent from port scanning and DoS Attack. 

I tuned off my UPnP and all seemed to went well for a while. But the Internet connection was suddenly halted for a while (like 1 min), and I go check my logs, and there're some "DoS Attack: RST Scan" in my log and they seemed to be the reason to cause my Internet connection halted.

Message 4 of 6
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Danny, 

May you send me a private message with your contact info again and I'll have support follow up.

Christian 

Message 5 of 6
DannyLin
Apprentice

@Christian_R wrote:

Hi Danny, 

May you send me a private message with your contact info again and I'll have support follow up.

Christian 

Just private message you, Christian.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7