× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: My RAX80 and nighthawk app problems.

Trussman
Guide

My RAX80 and nighthawk app problems.

Hello
I’ve had this router now for 3 weeks. The past few days the nighthawk app has been saying it can’t find, connect or the router is no online. But yet all devices are connect. Is there an issue with the nighthawk app??
Message 1 of 20
plemans
Guru

What modem are you using? We see this issues a lot with people using modem/router combo devices and then having the RAX connected to it. its called a double nat. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

Message 2 of 20
Trussman
Guide

I have an Arris Surfboad, stand alone router
Message 3 of 20
Trussman
Guide

Also on the Nighthawk app, it asks me to log on after it can’t find the router so I put in my Credentials and it doesn’t do anything. Very frustrating.
Message 4 of 20
plemans
Guru

What arris modem is it? 

Try the setup using a pc or browser setup. I'm not a huge fan of the app setup process. 

Message 5 of 20
Trussman
Guide

My router is setup. The problem lies between the app n router it appears. Modem is a surfboard arris sb6183
Message 6 of 20
ablickle
Guide

I had a similar problem.  Could not log in with app and when accessing router from computer it showed internet disconnected, even though it was online and working fine.  Ended up disconnecting power at router and rebooting that way a couple of times, and now all is well again. 

Message 7 of 20
Trussman
Guide

Thx. So much
Message 8 of 20
Trussman
Guide

Never did the power unplug. Only reboot or turn on n off. Hopefully it will work.
Message 9 of 20
Trussman
Guide

Doing it all over again.
Message 10 of 20
plemans
Guru

from looking at your screen shot, you're not connected to it.
Message 11 of 20
Trussman
Guide

I know. It keeps doing this. Why?? I have to keep rebooting multiple times a day. It’s getting frustrating.
Message 12 of 20
plemans
Guru

try connecting with a hardwired device to it for management. its easier/faster/and gives better results IMO. 

Are you using smart connect?

What firmware is on the router?

Message 13 of 20
Trussman
Guide

Yes on smart connect
Latest firmware. I think the app is the problem. They need to work out the bugs. One of the main reasons I went with this router was for the app based management. Ughhhhhh
Message 14 of 20
plemans
Guru

@Trussman wrote:
Yes on smart connect
Latest firmware. I think the app is the problem. They need to work out the bugs. One of the main reasons I went with this router was for the app based management. Ughhhhhh

For the most part the app's work well. but not 100% of the time which is why I prefer the browser gui. 

If you're having issues connecting to the wifi try these steps:

1. disable smart connect. It works well in areas without much wifi congestion but struggles when there's lots of 2.4ghz congestion because it defaults devices to that band.

2. Turn off AX. I know that its the whole purpose of buying a RAX device but some manucturers of devices (phones/tablets/etc) properly code. And AX is pretty new. I've gotten most of my stuff up and running but occasionally run into a device that struggles with AX. 

Message 15 of 20
Trussman
Guide

Thanks all for the help

I did have an extender plugged in and I noticed that I was constantly connecting to that. Just unplugged. Working again. Stay tuned.
Message 16 of 20
Trussman
Guide

Update, it’s been a few hours now with the extender unplug and the app n router are still working together. I will post if this was not the solution if it acts up again
Ty all that offered suggestions
Message 17 of 20
Trussman
Guide

So after over 24 hours now, all is still well. Culprit Was the extender.
Message 18 of 20
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear the RAX is running better now. 

which extender is it? Might help with others having this issue. 

Message 19 of 20
Trussman
Guide

Linksys that I had laying around. Actually it wasn’t even needed. When pairing, it said to close. I moved it to furthest point of the house and final it paired. But after this, she gone!!! Lolol
Message 20 of 20
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7