× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

My Router: Nighthawk RAX80 Firmware Version V1.0.2.76_1.0.35

Timesoarer
Follower

My Router: Nighthawk RAX80 Firmware Version V1.0.2.76_1.0.35

I have 1 Gig Internet and out of the Router Box, I needed to back date to avoid speed throttle by firmware also turn off auto router update.  Was getting half of my 1 Gig.  By firmware backdating  I was able to get my speed back.   You also want to define your speed set limits to 1000.  Do not let it test the speed and set these,  you need to define manually or it will be slow.  Change your DNS if you have problems might help increase speed.  Also, make sure your router is baselined with your ISP and that your not also running a ISP server sided router control panel needs to be disabled at ISP so you are not double-nat..  Meaning running 2 routers if you recently updated to your own router and modem..  You can also can set the MTU size or run some tests mine likes 1498 MTU, helps with fragmented packets.

I run mine with a CM8200 Surfboard.  I find that having QOS on makes mine run at the correct speeds some say to turn that off. .  You hear in the forums to backdate your firmware.  They are soo correct, also backdate your client  Open VPN software that has the Tap/Tun to make your VPN work correctly with your desktop also works best with IPv4 not 6.  Problems with your VPN, if you change anything about your VPN in the router settings you need to upstream a new connection script to your clients each time you apply VPN settings.

I also find some ISP's do not like you running your own modem and router and will not help you set it up that way unless you call them.  I have had several friends that run at 1/2 speed with their own stuff.  I have found a test to see if your being ISP throttled is to set your router MAC address to your computers MAC and walla.. I get full speed.  Just a test.  I found that if I did this too many times my speed locked in.. UMM?.   Sometimes your ISP will say plug your computer directly in and bamm your running at full speed, then they blame your router.. When it is really is being DOCISS scripted to slow down.  Another trick is to ground your cable out against your modem and screw it back in, this will reset any error logs and sometimes I get my speed back.  I hope this helps with Netgear, ISP speed Blues.  I also use ISP diagnostic app on my phone to help sync or reset the signal level and gets my speed back.  I can't confirm but seems after allot of traffic your weeded out and slowed down and when I run the signal level test my speed comes back.    Anyone else with more ideas?  As a user that's about all I can do without a service tech or somebody on the ISP end to configure things correctly.   I have also had weathered cable outside before causing speed issues.

Mbps
UPLOAD
60.5  This my Awesome NetGear Router on 1 gig Internet with a working VPN server both Mobile and PC.  But you have to definality configure it yourself and have it configured at your Cable ISP Correctly.  I stopped having them come to my house.  It is a firmware issue.
Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: My Router: Nighthawk RAX80 Firmware Version V1.0.2.76_1.0.35

Was a factory reset and setup from scratch performed after loading FW? 

Also be sure to not enable Armor, Access Controls, Smart Parental Controls or Traffic Meter. 

Also try Enabling or Disabling of Internet Ping Response and DoS Protection.

A power OFF of the ISP Modem and Router for 1 minute is something to try. 

Most cable ISPs use MTU 1500. Anything less could cause problems. DSL use values less than 1500. 

Be sure LAN cables are of good quality between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended.

For 1Gb ISP services, QoS isn't recommended. 

Always speed test with a wired connection.

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back ON.
https://www.duckware.com/tech/solving-intermittent-cable-modem-issues.html 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7