× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: My laptop doesnt see my Nighthawk AX8 with AX WiFi enabled

Boombar
Tutor

My laptop doesnt see my Nighthawk AX8 with AX WiFi enabled

One of my laptops doesnt see the router with AX WiFi setting on.

After i disable it it does see it.

Any suggestions of a workaround on either end?

What am i missing if i turn off the AX WiFi?

Much appreciated!

Model: RAX80| AX6000 - Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 14
Boombar
Tutor

I found this:
https://kb.netgear.com/000060384/My-Windows-device-is-not-detecting-my-AX-router-s-wireless-network-...

Laptop says it has latest adapters but i'll check manualy-

Still courious what happens without AX on.

Cheers and thank you.

Message 2 of 14
myersw
Master

@Boombar wrote:

One of my laptops doesnt see the router with AX WiFi setting on.

After i disable it it does see it.

Any suggestions of a workaround on either end?

What am i missing if i turn off the AX WiFi?

Much appreciated!

There are very few AX clients right now, so you will not be missing anything with AX off. Keep in mind that AX is still in draft stage and not finalized so I am not surprised when someone has issues. 

Message 3 of 14
schumaku
Guru

We already see the first reports that the top of the line Samsung Galaxy S10 (those with AX and WPA3 support) don't connect - unless AX is disabled (in that example on the router side). Unclear if @Boombar  has disabled AX on the RAX or on the Windows side. Either case, disabling AX does make the connection AC, if disabling you make your expensive (b)leading edge RAX yet another AC router.

For more curiosity, what AX capable wireless client is implemented on your notebook, what driver version is in place, and what RAX80 firmware version are we facing here?

Wonder when we see new KB entries for more devices and other client platforms and the ubiquitous snappy Netgear replies suggesting to run the current Android version (blah...).

Message 4 of 14
Boombar
Tutor

The laptop is Dell, with Intel processor, Intel network adapter and Win10. The built in WiFi utility reported that the driver, dated March 2018, is the latest. The laptop did see the router with AX disabled and conected fine after that.

After that i run the Intel Driver and Support assistant:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html
This utility detected a newer driver, dated Dec 2018. After instaling the laptop was able to see the Nighthawk AX router with AX on and connected fine.

In my case it came down to old driver and inablity of Windows WiFi utility to detect newer driver. I can give you all the specs if needed...
Hope that helps.

Message 5 of 14
schumaku
Guru

@Boombar wrote:

The laptop did see the router with AX disabled and conected fine after that..

Unclear to me if this is an AX client and you disabled AX on the client - or it's an AC (or earlier) client and you had disabled AX on the router. Similar reports since early December for this wonderful piece of RAX80 tech ... if there wouldn't be Netgear firmware, undoubted a nice platform.

So @Christian_R  what does take more than three months to address something that "basic"?

Message 6 of 14
Boombar
Tutor

I disabled AX on Netgear Router. I didn't look for this setting on the laptop.

Message 7 of 14
Boombar
Tutor

So, it's an AC (or earlier) client and have disabled AX on the router.

Message 8 of 14
myersw
Master

@Boombar wrote:

I disabled AX on Netgear Router. I didn't look for this setting on the laptop.

Unless very new there is no AX support. Very few clients available currently for AX. Turn it off on router and things will work better. 

Message 9 of 14
gmbart01
Aspirant

I hope everyone who is disabling AX is submitting support requests.  For a 400 dollar router, you shouldn't be turning off features because legacy equipment doesn't work with it turned on and be okay with it. 

I not only had issues with the AX stuff, but the 5G band was completely unstable at the default of up to 2400 (channel 156 or whatever it was) got better at up to 4300 (auto switched it to channel 36), but even with a windows hardwired remote session to a laptop about 4 feet away from the router I couldn't keep a stable 2G connection either.

My next step is on the above issue is to get a network analyzer and figure out what channels are saturated because I shouldn't be having this issues with this equipment. 

Good luck!

Model: RAX80| AX6000 - Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 10 of 14
TomPoz
Initiate

New installation. Could connect to iphone but not to Windows10 Dell laptop. The RAX80 never appeared in wi-fi connection choices. Out of curiosity/frustration, I went to my old  Dell Windows 7 laptop and there it was as wi-fi connection choice. I clicked right into the new router. Any input as to why my W10 can't connect is appreciated.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 11 of 14
schumaku
Guru

Your Windows 10 Inhell wireless drivers require an update - even what the vendors like Dell are offering is often not up2date, and older 802.11ac drivers fail to connect to radios with 802.11ax support ->  Intel® Driver and Support Assistant (Intel® DSA)

FMI: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/Troubleshooting-Windows-Device-Not...

Message 12 of 14
avtella
Prodigy

Get WiFi drivers from Intel’s website not Dell. Intel fixed an issue where some older WiFi cards like the 7260ac would not connect to newer AX routers when AX mode was activated. Also as others mentioned unless you have a new laptop with Intel AX200 aka Killer AX1650 or latest gen phones, AX mode can be turned off.
Message 13 of 14
TomPoz
Initiate

Thank you for the info. Updating the wi-fi driver resolved the issue. 

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7