× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NAS Probleme bei Netgear Nighthawk RAX80

DaMatze
Tutor

NAS Probleme bei Netgear Nighthawk RAX80

Hi all, I just bought a new RAX80 Nighthawk and attached an USB 3 HDD to it. I activated mediaserver functionality and on the harddrive there are several folders, containing subfolders with RAW and JPG images. On some folders I can see the content, on some of them my LG TV, my XBox One X, my PS4 Pro and my Sony TV tell me, there is no content. While accessing the NAS with apps and my MacBook Pro via Finder or file explorer apps, I can see the images and subfolders. I already formated the drive, copied everything to it and also rescanned media. Can someone help how to fix this? Thanks and kind regards, Mathias 

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Mathias,

Welcome to the wonderful world of DLNA (UPnP AV)! 

What your TV and gaming units as DLNA DMC/DMR can "see" in the folders isn't the full folder and file structure - only media files indexed which can be presented (rendered by the DMR) can become visible. Support for whatever RAW formats is more than unlikely. Some clients even refuse to show e.g. JPEG images if the resolution is beyond some whatever limits. Or if the original file name is in a notation the DLNA DMS (that's the component operating on the router) doesn't want to understand in the extension (e.g. if it's uppercase, ...).  

-Kurt

Message 2 of 11
DaMatze
Tutor

Thanks a lot Kurt, highly appreciated. 

I did not expect RAW images to be displayed, however it is strange that folders containing JPEGs from the same camera or produced with the same Camera RAW from Adobe can sometimes be displayed, sometimes not. Also file naming conventions are the same. Also: if I copy the files in a new folder, they work for some time and after approx. 24h the TV, console etc. tells me there is no content. So there has to be some kind of problem within the DLNA workflow from Netgear. Thanks, Mathias 

Message 3 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Curious: Are the files still "physically" located within the same initial folder structure? I remember some posts reporting the structure has changed, the files seemed to disappear.

The Netgear mindlna is as simple as robust, the same or very similar code is used on their ReadyNAS, too.

Well, you know I'm not Netgear...

Message 4 of 11
DaMatze
Tutor

For all images I use the same folder structure. The folder contains the RAWs and one subfolder with JPGs. Both cannot be display. When copying the JPGEs to a new named subfolder, the can be displayed. However, when rescanning media, the folders "disapears", it is physically there, but the DLNA client cannot display it anymore. Very strange...

Message 5 of 11
schumaku
Guru

@DaMatze wrote:

However, when rescanning media, the folders "disapears", it is physically there, but the DLNA client cannot display it anymore. Very strange...

Rescanning the media will drop and re-create the index. Don't be confused: The DLNA access is not a file system access, the folder and file structure is a logical replica. As long as the folder isn't rescanned, the index won't return anything, and the DLNA "link" won't work.  

Message 6 of 11
DaMatze
Tutor

Thanks for the explanation. So did I get you right, that you always have to scan for new media, once you change or add something? I only have the „rescan“ button on the dashboard of my RAX80 Nighthawk, there is no button to auto-scan after changes. Should there be one? I assume Netgear removed that function....

Message 7 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Carefully review the fine manual, Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream AX6000 WiFi Router User Manual p.114 ff. "Specify ReadyDLNA Media Server Settings" 

===

ADVANCED > USB Functions > ReadySHARE Storage > Media Server

• Enable DLNA Media Server. Select this check box to enable this device to act
    as a media server.
  • Rescan media files. The router automatically scans for media files whenever new
    files are added to your ReadySHARE USB storage device. Only a shared folder
    with All – no password in Read Access can be scanned for media files. To scan
    for new media files immediately, click the Rescan media files button.
  • Media Server Name. Click the Click here to change the Device name link to
    change the router's media server name.
    Note: If you change the media server name, you can also change the
    ReadySHARE storage folder access path to the new name or keep the access
    path as \\readyshare .

===

Two points...

1. I never came behind why Netgear does require the shared folder being public accessible. Probably because of using admin (== root!) acess to protect the data access is a very bad idea, too.

2. Rescan is not as "immediate" as it appears in the text - only the start of the process is, then things will take time ... and of course, there is zero feedback on the progress (and on possible issues) -.and I'm convinced the rescan will drop the complete index first, before it will be rebuilt....

The complete ReadyDLNA is very basic (here and on the NAS), compared to fully fledged DLNA applications like Twonky or media servers like Plex, and the results can vary.

Message 8 of 11
DaMatze
Tutor

Thanks for all your eplanations. The "rescan" button does not appear to me triggering automatic rescannning like mentioned in the manual. I can confim it rescans the whole drive (lasting about 20 hours in my case, since I have a lot of files). Is also does not fix the issue. I think I have to deal with the buggy DLNA system of Netgear. 

Message 9 of 11
Maakolli
Aspirant

I have also same issues with my RAX80, there is also issues with normal file sharing also. I have tried now 4 different USB drives none of them work with this product. Two of USB drives was purchaced yesterday and supports usb3, all drives are working perfectly directly with computer  and with older router file sharing. So could you please tell me if I have faulty unit, do I have to send this unit for repair or will there be firmware fix for this problem?  

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 10 of 11
DaMatze
Tutor

So my drive (Western Digital Passport USB3) is working fine with access from my Mac, file browsing apps on iOS. I can access the file. However the NAS functionality still is a problem when using my Smart TV, Xbox etc. So in your case I think there is a different problem. Maybe the file system on the drives? Re-formatting them? 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7