× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NETGEAR Nighthawk Whole Home Mesh WiFi 6 System MK63 - Mesh through old walls

tz10uk
Aspirant

NETGEAR Nighthawk Whole Home Mesh WiFi 6 System MK63 - Mesh through old walls

Hi have a Nighthawk R9000 plus 2 EX8000 configured as access points, as I have terable WIFI around my house, using this set up if I am connected to the R9000 I get cirva 300MB download, but if I am connected to to the EX8000 I get circa 10MB dowmload . I have configured the AP using smart connect - I was looking to see if the NETGEAR Nighthawk Whole Home Mesh WiFi 6 System MK63  would give me better DL speed away from the router - or if anyone can sugget how I can get better speeds from my current setup. 

I ask the question re NETGEAR Nighthawk Whole Home Mesh WiFi 6 System MK63  as I had nd ORBI set up and the Satellite extenders

could not connect to the router due to the walls in my house as its an 1830 build hence the dead spots needing Satellite. 

I would be happy to upgrade to the NETGEAR Nighthawk Whole Home Mesh WiFi 6 System MK63  if it will work better and give me better speeds 

Thanks in advance 

T

Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: NETGEAR Nighthawk Whole Home Mesh WiFi 6 System MK63 - Mesh through old walls

The r9000 with EX8000's will perform better than the MK63 system. 

The MK63 system is only dual band. The EX8000's are triband and use a dedicated backhaul for the connection. 

And if you've tried orbi, you've tried mesh. 

The issue is the home's structure not supporting wireless backhaul.

You'd be better off to invest in a way to hardwire in your satellites/extenders. 

Either using powerline (which can struggle in older wired homes), using moca adapters (ethernet over coax), or having your home wired with ethernet. 

Message 2 of 3
tz10uk
Aspirant

Re: NETGEAR Nighthawk Whole Home Mesh WiFi 6 System MK63 - Mesh through old walls

Thank you so much for your reply,

I have my AP running through powerLines and although my network is stable now the speed is inconsistent, did not consider old cabaling being the issue 

Seems like cabling may be what will be required just did not want to do that in todays technical world 😞 

Thanks again for your reply 

T

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7