× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NIGHTHAWK AX8 AX6000 MODEM ROUTER- NOT ABLE TO GET SIGNAL FROM Xfinity/ COMCAST. [Stolen??]

PaisaJohnG
Aspirant

NIGHTHAWK AX8 AX6000 MODEM ROUTER- NOT ABLE TO GET SIGNAL FROM Xfinity/ COMCAST. [Stolen??]

Good afternoon everyone,

I am trying to see if I can find out why my modem router is not working.

I got this modem/router from eBay to replace what I am renting from Xfinity/Comcast. I figured I save some money.

So I got it delivered last week and tried to do the self-install. I followed instructions and disconnected old modem [works fine just monthly cost] and plugged in the new modem. They updated the system for the new modem, but it never got signal from Comcast. After troubleshooting, the rep told me they would schedule a professional install. I have video cameras so I had them turn back on the rented modem.

This afternoon, the tech came out to install for me but he could not connect to it either. According to him, it’s possibly stolen.

How can I confirm?

**NOTE: **

Something I noticed was off.

I’ve owed a handful of Net gear products and this was the first time I’ve seen the WIFI Name / SSID did not match the sticker on the box. The first time using it, I noticed the Wi-Fi name was different.

Example. Sticker said Name is Nighthawk 12 & Password lilylion

But when I hardwired my laptop to get to the router login page. It told me the name was Nighthawk 001FA. And the password was something way different.

I did a hard reset on the modem as I thought it was done from the previous owner. 

Is there a way i can confirm the MAC adress on the bottom of the box is the one that Comcast needs [ vs a changed mac address]?"

Can anyone chime in with any thoughts or questions?

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: NIGHTHAWK AX8 AX6000 MODEM ROUTER- NOT ABLE TO GET SIGNAL FROM Xfinity/ COMCAST. [Stolen??]

Why did the tech say the modem may be stolen? Was he not able to get it connected and associated with there network? 

Was a factory reset performed on the CAX80 prior to installation? 

The Mac address should be the same on the sticker on the unit, whats on the web page and whats on the box. If these are different then something maybe a miss from the seller on ebay. 

Anything having to do with MAC addresses and such needs to be handled at NG support. Forums wont be of any help here. 

Message 2 of 7
PaisaJohnG
Aspirant

Re: NIGHTHAWK AX8 AX6000 MODEM ROUTER- NOT ABLE TO GET SIGNAL FROM Xfinity/ COMCAST. [Stolen??]

Yes he could not get it to connect and yes a factory reset was performed.

How can i view the MAc Adress on the webpage? 

I only think Mac address becuase of the SSID being diffrent than on the sticker. I called Netgear support who also said that the Mac adress can not be changed.

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

I'd send the unit back to the seller. You can check the MAC address on the Modems web page however doing this on the CAX80 is problematic as the CAX80 auto reboots every 1 minute after it's come to ready if there is no good signal on the coax line. So you might be able to log in long enough to see the mac address on the modems web page at 192.168.1.1 before it reboots. Crazy I know. 

Message 4 of 7
PaisaJohnG
Aspirant

Im going to see if i can return..

But would love for this to work.

I took some screen shots 

doesnt look like the SN or CM Mac addy match.

I also dont have the CM certificate??

Message 5 of 7
PaisaJohnG
Aspirant

2.jpgthumbnail_IMG_4745 (1).jpg

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

CM Certificate comes in when a modem gets fully connected to the ISP service.

Please inform the seller that this unit should be probably returned to NG. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7