× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NIghthawk RAX40 WPS issues and firmware update from the app.

Nawar
Follower

NIghthawk RAX40 WPS issues and firmware update from the app.

HI peeps . 

i haven't been able to find anything related to this issue on here  so i'm hoping someone can help . 

first of all, updating the firmware from the app doesn't work, it says it is up to date while it is not, so i downloaded it the update on the computer and done the update manually through the router , that worked fine, 

but before and after the update, trying to hook up my wireless brother HL2130 Printer is a nightmare, it has always worked on other routers, 

the connection is established and both the router and the printer show the connection is OK, and shows me the MAC address the printer is setup on the network and that it is added to the connceted network list, but it's not there and it doesn't work . 

it is connected throught the 2.4GH according to both the printer and the router, but it doesn't show up and it can't be found anywhere, 
is this a router issue "seems like it", or is there another way to make this work wirelessly ? 

There is no option to use the PIN option as it will aways cause a mismatch.

thank you . 

any assistance will be appreciated. 

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Re: NIghthawk RAX40 WPS issues and firmware update from the app.

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

This is a nuisance because you then have to reconfigure the device all over again.

You can backup your settings before you reset and restore them later. But that may just bring back the fault. Then again, at least you will know if the reset fixed the problem.

The factory reset is more a "witchcraft" move than a technically informed solution, but it does seem to fix problems, especially on the wifi front.

The usual way to fix wifi printers is to find the printer maker's utility, the software that runs on your operating system. Then use that to connect the printer to the wifi.

The router just broadcasts wifi. It is then down to the printer to play ball. There isn't much that you can do on a router, beyond fixing it to a particular IP address, that affects what the printer gets up to.

Message 2 of 10
LsiC
Aspirant

Brother printers often have very buggy wifi, you should definitely download their tool and update its firmware.

Message 3 of 10
DeanOutlaw
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue with my Epson ET-2550 multi-function printer.

I can see the printer when I am logged into the RAX40 wifi routers console and I can see the RAX40 on my broadband routers console.

But the Epson software on my computer that is connected to the broadband router can't detect the SSID of the RAX40 and thus can't connect to the printer

Message 4 of 10
SilvertonMY
Guide

Out of curiosity, are you using Windows as your operating system on your computer?  If so, check to see if Windows set up your WiFi network as 'Public' or 'Private'.   

Just a thought.

Message 5 of 10
DeanOutlaw
Aspirant

Yeah it is windows

it was set to public and  I had no luck there

I changed it to private still no luck

I tried turning off the firewall for both public and private and no luck.

When I had the wifi turned on on my braodband router the epson software was able to see my SSID but I ended up having issues with the wifi signal around the house so I got the RAX40

Message 6 of 10
SilvertonMY
Guide

There might be another thing to look at.

When I set up my RAX35, I had to keep the 2.4Ghz WiFi side of my router enabled because my printer wasn't compatible with 5Ghz. 

Just wondering if yours is the same.  Did you set up the 2.4Ghz WiFi network on your new router, or is it disabled? I wonder what would happen if you connected your computer to the 2.4Ghz side of the router just while you set up your printer.

Also, don't forget to turn back on your firewalls that you turned off, once you get it all working.

Post back if successful (or not).

Message 7 of 10
SilvertonMY
Guide

Wait.   Can you please describe your layout in a bit more detail? 

The part where you said "my computer that is connected to the broadband router" has me confused a bit.

Are you trying to run with 2 routers?

Replace an existing router?

Use the RAX40 in AP mode to extend your wireless network?

Message 8 of 10
DeanOutlaw
Aspirant

I have both 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi running.
I've turned off the wifi on my broadband router because it wasn't sufficient.
I have my computer connected to my broadband router via lan my RAX40 is connected to the broadband router via lan.
I have no wifi set up on my computer because it uses the lan.
My Epson printer software on the computer does not see the printer that is connected to the RAX40 via wifi
Message 9 of 10

@DeanOutlaw wrote:

I've turned off the wifi on my broadband router because it wasn't sufficient.

This does not stop your broadband router from being a router. So it looks like you are running with two routers.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7