× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NTP BUG in RAX80 FW v1.0.3.102_1.0.48 (for GMT+9:30)

TheInterWeb
Guide

NTP BUG in RAX80 FW v1.0.3.102_1.0.48 (for GMT+9:30)

NTP BUG in RAX80-100AU FW v1.0.3.102_1.0.48. GMT+9:30h has incorrect GMT offset. It appears that the other Australian GMT offsets are now ok, however FW v1.0.3.102_1.0.48 retains the same BUG for GMT+9:30h offset as was introduced for all timezones in the previous (but now redacted) v1.0.3.98 FW.  - Setting the RAX80 to GMT+9:30h results in wildly random future or past timestamps and occasionally "NTP cant be located errors". If I set it to GMT+9:00 or GMT+10:00, NTP resolves with the correct (respective) zone date and times, but the entire middle of Australia (SA & NT) is on GMT+9:30. Which is very annoying for those of us who are 'technical'.  I'm very happy to finally see the inclusion of GMT +9:30 in a Netgear Router. +9:30 wasnt in any version of RAX80 FW prior to the 'ill famed' v1.0.3.98 (actually, nor was it in either of my other previous TWO Netgear routers... Not feeling the love Netgear! )  GMT+9:30 for South Australia was globally adopted in 1899 (yes 1899!)  So hey, whilst Netgear did show up for the GMT+9:30 party in 2020, they showed up 121 years LATE and empty-handed.  Please, make amends by fixing it for the 2 million people that inhabit the GMT+9:30 timezome ASAP. We'd be very gratefull 🙂   
Tkx

B

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello TheInterWeb,

Thanks for reporting. Have you had a moment to factory reset your router after updating the firmware? 

Christian 

Message 2 of 5
TheInterWeb
Guide

Hello Christian, thank you for your reply, - Interesting response, here's some customer feedback: After submitting a helpful and informative BUG report, your feedback feels patronising and dismissive.  - It’s just feedback, please don’t take it personally, - You do represent a multinational brand, they will be watching.  

I work in Software Development & Delivery, so am reasonably experienced in managing Developers and Testers, their code release and test cycles as well as BUG and Defect triage and remediation processes.     SO, may I put the same question to you? - Has an actual Netgear Dev or yourself attempted to replicate the BUG report by performing a full factory reset of FW v1.0.3.102_1.0.48 on an actual RAX80?   -   (You know, an independent test on different hardware, to either agree with me that the v1.0.3.102_1.0.48 Firmware is defective or if you legitimately cannot replicate the BUG, advise me that my Router is defective in loading up the v1.0.3.102_1.0.48 Firmware? )

Or, (take note, doing this would increase the respect Netgear customers have for Netgear products and support)    -    If you/Netgear are feeling like really providing value for customers who invest in expensive premium Netgear routers and other Netgear products, ... Perhaps you or a Developer could look at the NTP code, comparing the actual code in these (below)  RAX80 Firmware versions for differences and anomalies and reporting your findings, being either:  a) agree, we found a BUG in our code, thanks, we’ll fix it in next release, or b) dear sir, we are unable to locate any NTP BUG in code because we have re-tested\regression tested with successful results. (Then offer next steps of Support etc…)

The FW versions to check the NTP code within are:

v1.0.3.88 (version is prior to offering to support GMT+9.5h, but worth a look at how +9.0h & +10.0h call for time offset)

v1.0.3.98 (version is now totally pulled by Netgear as that version was clearly defective enough to try to pretend it never existed. It was the 1st version to purport to support GMT+9.5h, but failed exactly the same way as v1.0.3.102 does. Pull it out of the locker and take a look a look at how +9.0h & +10.0h call for time offset and compare to the line/s of code calling for +9.5h offset – you may just see a problem with +9.5h offset calls)

v1.0.3.102 (purports to support GMT+9.5h, but fails. As above, worth a look at how +9.0h & +10.0h call for time offset and compare to the line/s of code calling for +9.5h offset)  I would suggest that in the haste to “disappear”  the defective v1.0.3.98 Firmware, Netgear copy-pasted the entire NTP segment propagating the NTP BUG issue to v1.0.3.102.

Finally, to answer your question, I have performed far too many full factory resets of ALL versions of Firmware on this Router and spent more than enough hours supporting Netgear for free. Please take the detail and information supplied into the next firmware iteration discussions (defect reviews) for RAX80.  -  A developer will understand.  

Thank you for the opportunity to reply, kind regards, - Brendan

Message 3 of 5
TheInterWeb
Guide

So whilst Christian dishes out the same advice to the rest of us, being: "reset it, rebuild it"  I am taking some comfort that there are now many NTP BUG reports being lodged for RAX80 firmware V1.0.3.102.

- Whilst we wait, has anyone uncovered the other BUG in RAX80 firmware V1.0.3.102_1.0.48? - The one in >> Security > Access Control > ... Anyone...?  "Bueler...?  Bueler...? Bueler...?     I know the 'workaround' but am curious to see if anyone else has issues in that specific "Functional" Area?

Oh god pleeeease dont ask me if I have: "had a moment to factory reset your (my) router after updating to v1.0.3.102"   🙂  🙂

B.

Message 4 of 5
saccenti
Initiate

It's months later. Back in September, I had to roll the 102 version back to 88 like so many others, to get the router to work.

Since it is months later, and I had a moment this morning, I thought I'd check in to see what post-102 firmware had been released (since I'm having various niggling problems that ha ha maybe an upgrade might solve ha ha). It's been months so obviously we've gotten this fixed.

Wow. The latest release remains 102, with known serious problems.

I'm not tossing my RAX80. But my next router certainly won't be from Netgear. The sum of their response to every issue is the hilarious one above: factory reset. Check any of these community threads.

On what planet is a complete Factory Reset standard operating procedure for hardware that just got a firmware upgrade? Planet Netgear... Sigh.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7