× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear AX Routers as Access Points that Support Seamless Roaming?

sclawrenc
Apprentice

Netgear AX Routers as Access Points that Support Seamless Roaming?

Hello Netgear Community,

Does anyone know if you can use two Netgear AX1800 or AX3000 routers in Access Point mode with successful seamless roaming betweens access points with VoIP calls?  For example, maybe two RAX38s or similar?

My RBR50 and RBS50 do it fine, but I'm considering going to AX so looking into either a different (dual band) mesh system or picking up a couple of routers and putting them in AP mode.

Thanks in advance.  🙂

S

Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

I'd go the mesh system thats designed for it. You could either go the orbi route with AX or the nighthawk MK systems. 

I haven't used either but if I was wanting seamless roaming on consumer gear, that's what I'd do. 

Message 2 of 7
sclawrenc
Apprentice

Thanks plemans for your response. 

I was hoping to use separate channels on each access point to maximize my bandwidth on each channel, and I wanted to the DFS channel support just in case.  Like you said, I also didn't see any explicit mention of 802.11 k/v/r support on any of the Netgear routers other than mesh or business class.  As much as as I like the simplicity of mesh, I don't like the fact that all of the units use the same channel for each band.  For example, maybe I want to set channel 1 for 2.4ghz on one side of my house since my neighbor uses channel 6 and then channel 6 on the other side since my other neighbor might use channel 1.  I know it's not a big deal, but just trying to maximize my signal across my home which includes outdoor Ring cams which are sitting outside my brick exterior.  

Thanks again.  🙂

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

to achieve what you'd want, you'd need to go with the business grade product. 

Message 4 of 7
sclawrenc
Apprentice

Thanks plemans.

I wonder if the WAX204 would work?

It seems just about all of the business grade access points are meant to be mounted on a ceiling which is not ideal for me since that means I would need to run additional cables and pick up a POE switch.  I would rather just use the existing cable runs and place the access points on a flat surface, and I realize most of the ceiling mount access points are designed to push most of their signal out from the top and not as much from the sides.

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

With the business class stuff, I'd post in that forum for better answers to your questions on which support fast roaming. 

Mounting isn't as important. I have the WAX218 just sitting on my shelf instead of ceilingg mounted. works fine. 

Message 6 of 7
sclawrenc
Apprentice

Will do and thanks again for your help.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7