× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear AX12 and CM1100 Port Aggregation

jimlenz
Aspirant

I will go ahead and get what you recommend.  As you can tell by me having this hooked up incorrectly in the first place, I have some opportunities to learn.  

When I setup the MS510TX the 2 lan ports on the QNAP NAS will be connected to it.  Then I assume there will be one port from the router to the switch that is connected?  Does it matter which port?  I assume it could be LAN ports 2, 3 or 4?

I wouould then keep the WAN sestup with the WAN and LAN 1 port.  

Then I have some other items like my ooma, and my phillips hue that could be connected to either the router or the switch?  

I dont have any other connections now, so i will have extra space in the switch for expansion.  

Message 26 of 58
kc6108
Luminary

You are exactly correct.  The MS510TX has the following 10-ports:

1 Gigabit ports: 4 (10M/100M/1G)
2.5-Gigabit ports: 2 (100M/1G/2.5G)
5-Gigabit ports: 2 (100M/1G/2.5G/5G)
10-Gigabit copper ports: 1 (100M/1G/2.5G/5G/10GBASE-T)
10-Gigabit fiber SFP+ ports: 1 (1G/10GBASE-X SFP+)

All the ports are labled on the front of the switch.

1. You would connect your modem and router just as they are now.
  2. You would connect your router to the switch by plugging one end of a Cat5e/Cat6 cable into the routers 5-Gigabit port and the other into one of the two 5-Gigabit ports on the switch.
  3. You would connect your QNAP to the switch using LAG, but I would need to know more about your NAS. How many ethernet ports does it have? Does it support static and/or LACP LAGs? Does it have any Multi-Gigabit ports?

At any rate, I think you understand a little better what you should be aiming for here. Right?

Model: MS510TX|8-port Multi-Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch with 10G Copper / 10G SFP+ Fiber Uplinks, RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 27 of 58
kc6108
Luminary

BTW, I have an R9000 connected to a GS728TX via an SFP+ DAC cable rated a 10GB. Then my Synology NAS is connected to the GS728TX via two 1 Gigabit ethernet ports using LACP LAG.

So I know exactly what you are aiming for.

I also have the MS510TX just waiting to be place between my GS728TX and your RAX120. All I need is for you to ship it to me. PM me for my address, lol Smiley LOL

Message 28 of 58
jimlenz
Aspirant

My NAS is older so it only has 2 gigabit ports.  It is QNAP 419+.and has full 803.3ad link aggregation.  I am sure I have LAG setup on the NAS(will verify) and found instructions on how to setup LAG on the switch.  I have not done this before.  I will eventually have to upgrade the NAS but that wont be until later this year or next year.  

As for the RAX120, I am enjoying it.  Much better than the X8.  However, I am not able to take full advantage as I only have a 1 gig connection.  Lookign to upgrade this also. 

Message 29 of 58
kc6108
Luminary

I have the Motorola MB8600 which supports WAN aggregation like your SB8200.

Your SB8200 has 3 GB of RAM though Smiley Surprised

You are going to have one heck of a setup.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 30 of 58
jimlenz
Aspirant

Actually, I have the CM1100.  I hear there is a CM1200 coming out shortly.  Not sure what the difference is.  

On the router, I see there is a RAX200 coming out also.  Sounds interesting but may be overkill.  

I will try the router for another week and if I dont like it, will send it over.  

Message 31 of 58
kc6108
Luminary

Have you run any concurrent speed tests? You should achieve at least 1000 Mbps, but I'd imagine more like 1200 Mbps. You need to run a speed test on two fast devices though... like two laptops/PCs/etc.

Who is your ISP?

Message 32 of 58
kc6108
Luminary

Well it doesn't matter. The CM1100 has two lan ports and the CM1200 has four, but the RAX120 and RAX200 only support two members in their LAGs.

The RAX120 has a 5 Gbe port, but the RAX200 only has a 2.5 Gbe.

The RAX120 is Qualcomm and the RAX200 is Broadcom so you can't really compare CPUs.

However, IMHO the RAX120 is all around the better router.

Message 33 of 58
jimlenz
Aspirant

I only ran on one, my iMac and got 911mb.  I have Comcast and was hoping for faster.  Not sure why.

Message 34 of 58
kc6108
Luminary

It's not going to happen. ~940 Mbps is the max speed you can achieve over a single gigabit port. LAG provides failover, load balancing, etc, but it doesn't automagically combine the ports into one big pipe.

Run two speed tests concurrently and see what you're really able to get from your connection Smiley Wink

Message 35 of 58
kc6108
Luminary

Run a speed test on your phone using the Speedtest app. Actually, do the same on your iMac. Get the Speedtest app from the macOS App Store. The apps run much more smoothly, and achieve higher throughput, than when running speed tests in the browser.

Message 36 of 58
jimlenz
Aspirant

I got  831mb on my imac and 95 mb on my ipad(through wifi). similar numbers to when I run thte imac by itself.  Not sure I see the benefit with wan aggregation connected.  

Message 37 of 58
plemans
Guru

My area doesn't have over provisioning on 1gig service. I max out at 940-950 (total download over 2 hardwired devices) whether or not I'm using link aggregation. Doesn't mean they won't in the future but they aren't currently. 

Message 38 of 58
jimlenz
Aspirant

Comcast doesn’t over provision either.

Message 39 of 58
jimlenz
Aspirant

Tge switch arrived today and I am setting it up.  I did upgrade my NAS to Ts-473 with 4 lAN ports.  I am setting up LAG and it looks like I can only setup on ports 1-4 as they are the same?  Is that correct?  Aldo I have the cable from router connected to port 9.  Is that correct?  Thanks.

Message 40 of 58
kc6108
Luminary

Based on our conversations, I suggest you treat the MS510TX as your network core.

Ports 9 and 10 don’t have to be used as uplinks to your network core. They can be used for connecting anything, such as your NAS (especially if you purchase a PCIe card for 10G connectivity).

I suggest you choose which ports to use on the switch by using their max connection speeds as a guide.

For example, your NAS Ethernet ports only support 1G, so use ports 1-4 on the MS510TX as their max connection speeds are 1G as well.

Using port 9 to connect to the RAX120 could be considered a waste as the max speed of the RAX120 multi-gig port is 5G and port 9’s max speed is 10G. That port should be saved for 10G connectivity.

We have discussed how to connect your modem to your router AND how to connect your router and NAS to your switch. What else is on your network?

The MS510TX supports layer 3 static routes. This is another reason why I suggested you get this switch. Using layer 3 static routes is a simple way to provide segmentation of your network with internal routing through the switch – reserving the router for external traffic routing only, making your entire network more efficient.

I’ll post more on that subject next.
Model: CM1100|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS 3.1, MS510TX|8-port Multi-Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch with 10G Copper / 10G SFP+ Fiber Uplinks, RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 41 of 58
kc6108
Luminary

Look at the diagram for "Deskop Swith with 10G Uplinks Application 1":

https://www.netgear.com/business/products/switches/smart/MS510TX.aspx#tab-highlights

This is how to visualize your MS510TX being used as your network core. See how the firewall/router is connected to port 1... they aren't wasting a 10G port... they are using a 1G port. If the firewall/router supported > 1G (as in your case), you'd use a different port on the switch. I suggest port 7 or 8.

Model: MS510TX|8-port Multi-Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch with 10G Copper / 10G SFP+ Fiber Uplinks
Message 42 of 58
jimlenz
Aspirant

The only other items I have on my network at this time is Phillips Hue and Ooma.  

I have been distracted this afternoon, as I am trying to setup the NAS and having problems.  The first 2 HDD lights will only go on even though there are 4 HDD there.  However, the status light is solid green, so that means it is ready.  I switched the drives and still only the 2 ligths.

In addition, the LAN wont connect.  I tried all 4 of the lan ports connecting direct to the router and nothing.  I een tried connecting straight to the modem and nothing.  Will need to get over to the qnap forum and see what I should do.

Appreciate the insight on the switch.  I had problems accessing but had to take off network and connect to my mac, change the ip and was able to get the web gui.  Updated the firmware and setup the lag.  

Message 43 of 58
schumaku
Guru

@jimlenz wrote:

I have been distracted this afternoon, as I am trying to setup the NAS and having problems.  The first 2 HDD lights will only go on even though there are 4 HDD there.  However, the status light is solid green, so that means it is ready.  I switched the drives and still only the 2 ligths.

In addition, the LAN wont connect.  I tried all 4 of the lan ports connecting direct to the router and nothing.  I een tried connecting straight to the modem and nothing.  Will need to get over to the qnap forum and see what I should do. 

Provide the link to your post on the QNAP Community Forum once posted please.

Is this a factory new QNAP NAS? Model? The LED on the QNAP NAS network ports (most have em!) show a link and activity? To start with the troubleshooting, unplug all HDDs, boot the NAS, and connect to your router/switch. Use Qfinder Pro to discover it. That only two HDD instead of all four are detected (and the LED come on) looks like a hardware issue.

Message 44 of 58
jimlenz
Aspirant

I tried that also and nothing.  I connected to the #1 lan port and could not find the NAS.  I do have a ticket into QNAP.  

Message 45 of 58
jimlenz
Aspirant

Looks like a bad MB.  Returning and will get a new one.  Will finish setting this up and switch this weekend.  Will report back.

Message 46 of 58
jimlenz
Aspirant

It was a bad motherboard.  I received the new one today and installed.  Everything works great.

To clarify on the switch

- Connection from router to switch should be multi gig on router to outlet 9 on the switch?

- Setup LAG 1-4 for QNAP

I have 5,6,7 and 8 open at this point.  The only other devices I have are ooma, phillips hue and connectio for my imac.  Should I connect them to the router or switch?

Thanks again for all your help.  

Message 47 of 58
jimlenz
Aspirant

I tried to edit the post but could not.  I think the router mlulti gig should go to 7 or 8 which are 5g, not 9 as that is 10g.  Is this correct.

Also, router to modem, no change.  

Message 48 of 58
jimlenz
Aspirant

Last piece, setup the LAG on switch

Under LAG configuration it shows 

Ch. 1 QNAP Enable, Enable, LACP, Down

When I go to LAG Membership it shows LAG 1 with 1, 2,3 and 4 checked.  

Is there anything else needed?

Message 49 of 58
kc6108
Luminary

That is correct, use port 7 or 8 on the MS510TX.

It looks like you setup the LAG correctly:

chose a LAG (for example ch1) and changed it to LACP

added ports 1-4 on the MS510TX as members to ch1 LAG

If that's not working then maybe you missed a setting on the NAS to enable LACP LAG?

Sorry, this is all I can help with as I'm not familiar with QNAP NAS's... only Synology NAS's.

Model: CM1100|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS 3.1, MS510TX|8-port Multi-Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch with 10G Copper / 10G SFP+ Fiber Uplinks, RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 50 of 58
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 57 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7