× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear AX3000 / RAX40 detects lower bandwidth than link actually provides

leaf_water
Aspirant

Netgear AX3000 / RAX40 detects lower bandwidth than link actually provides

My home is on Verizon FiOS with 400mbps up/down. I have an Ethernet line running from the ONT to my router, and the router backfeeds all of the coax in the house through a MoCA adapter. If I connect my laptop directly to the Ethernet link and run a speed test, I’ll see about 300mbps up/down — not too far from what I’m paying for. But if I disconnect the MoCA adapter so that nothing else is attached and run a speed test from the router’s QoS interface, I’ll only get ~95mbps up/down. Does anyone know why my router thinks it only has a third of its actual available bandwidth? Are there any configurations that I should check? I've already tried factory resetting.

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
leaf_water
Aspirant

Re: Netgear AX3000 / RAX40 detects lower bandwidth than link actually provides

Update: I tried a lot of stuff. I tried updating the installing the initial release of router firmware and updated through every release that Netgear had provided. No luck. I tried unplugging the ONT BBU and disconnecting the battery terminal -- didn't help. I spent a long time contemplating the graveyard of ISP equipment and the labyrinth of coax splitters they had mounted. I chatted with Verizon support: "Your router, your problem." No help here. No matter what I did, the WAN statistics in the admin interface read 100M (Full).

I had figured that autonegotiation was failing (the WAN port itself was immaculate), but I didn't know how to verify that (those logs aren't visible) nor test it. In the end "WAN capped at 100ms" was the magic search-engine phrase to find the solution. SNB forums provided the solution -- stick a dumb switch between the ONT and the router. The ONT negotiates with the switch, the switch negotiates with the router, et voilà. Speed's up to scratch.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
leaf_water
Aspirant

Update: I tried a lot of stuff. I tried updating the installing the initial release of router firmware and updated through every release that Netgear had provided. No luck. I tried unplugging the ONT BBU and disconnecting the battery terminal -- didn't help. I spent a long time contemplating the graveyard of ISP equipment and the labyrinth of coax splitters they had mounted. I chatted with Verizon support: "Your router, your problem." No help here. No matter what I did, the WAN statistics in the admin interface read 100M (Full).

I had figured that autonegotiation was failing (the WAN port itself was immaculate), but I didn't know how to verify that (those logs aren't visible) nor test it. In the end "WAN capped at 100ms" was the magic search-engine phrase to find the solution. SNB forums provided the solution -- stick a dumb switch between the ONT and the router. The ONT negotiates with the switch, the switch negotiates with the router, et voilà. Speed's up to scratch.

Message 2 of 4
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello leaf_water, 

Welcome to the community! Have you had a moment to contact our support team regarding your issues?

https://www.netgear.com/support/default.aspx

Christian 

Message 3 of 4
leaf_water
Aspirant

Hi Christian,

Thanks for reaching out. Although I don't know why Ethernet autonegotiation failed, I managed to resolve my issue by adding a switch between my router and ONT. I did try reaching out to support, but my support period had lapsed. The shortest (read: cheapest) support subscription is half the price of the router, so I think I'll eat the cost of a switch instead of doing a deep dive on autonegotiation. Cheers.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7