× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Alexa Skill showing "Device is unresponsive".

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Netgear Alexa Skill showing "Device is unresponsive".

Netgear Alexa Skill showing "Device is unresponsive".

RAX200 with Firmware Version V1.0.5.132_1.0.69.

All other Alexa skills/devices work perfectly fine, but the Netgear router always shows unresponsive.

I've tried other firmwares as well.

Alexa has the Netgear skill properly added and my router is connected.

The router serial number in the description even matches correctly, and the network names show up, how "Device is unresponsive" and cannot control through Alexa.

Any ideas?

Am I missing some sort of port forwarding?

Message 1 of 17
plemans
Guru

what modem/gateway is the RAX connected to? 

I've seen the alexa devices/skills perform poorly in double nat situations

Message 2 of 17
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I’m not entirely sure the modem the ISP uses, I don’t have access to it, however the cable that runs from it goes to a POE with no serial number / product identification of any sort, and then the cable from that goes to my RAX 200.

I also use a static IP.
Message 3 of 17
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I’m not entirely sure the modem the ISP uses, I don’t have access to it, however the cable that runs from it goes to a POE with no serial number / product identification of any sort, and then the cable from that goes to my RAX 200…

I also use a static IP.
Message 4 of 17
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Oops double post due to lag. No idea how to delete.
Message 5 of 17
plemans
Guru

Not trying to be rude but that doesn't help much. 

If you want to get the alexa services running (not a big deal), we need full info on the setup.

Again, its because many iot devices have issues with double nat's. 

If you're not worried about it working, then I wouldn't worry about it. 

If it is something you want working, we need to look into what you're actual setup is and the devices connected. 

Message 6 of 17
Retired_Member
Not applicable

You’re not being rude at all.
It’s a completely valid request and I’m quite frustrated that i cannot provide more information. I’m quite familiar with networking myself and it’s pretty annoying not being able to access the ISPs modem as I’d be risking my life basically (and this isn’t that important lol).

The setup is ISP modem -> POE (with literally no visual identifiers AT ALL, now a letter or number anywhere -> my RAX 200.

I will attempt to contact my ISP over the phone however right now and see if perhaps they can shed some light on the equipment being used on my property.
Message 7 of 17
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Alright, got some more information.

The ISP is using a Ubiquiti PowerBeam 5AC.

https://dl.ubnt.com/datasheets/PowerBeam_ac_ISO/PowerBeam_AC_Gen2_DS.pdf

I do not have access to this as it's on a custom built, 200 foot tower, we hire professional climbers when we need something changed, my big ass tried climbing 2 feet, and I near shat myself, so definitely do not have access to it, nor the safety equipment to attempt a journey up there lol. Oh the joys of living "in the middle of no where".

Anyways, this Ubiquiti PowerBeam 5AC is connected through to a Ubiquiti POE which is then connected to my RAX200.

Phone rep said we are avoiding a nat situation here as I am on a static IP.

Hope this helps, let me know how to proceed to continue trouble shooting this, or is my unique setup simply me being out of luck...

Message 8 of 17
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I should also mention, this Ubiquiti PowerBeam 5AC is also pointed directly at another tower several miles away, it's not feeding some sort of wifi signal to my house or anything. I am in fact hard wired into that PowerBeam and control wifi on my property via my RAX200.

Fun Fact: with all of this, I still get a whopping 90/90 bandwith with nearly no latency, it's not bad internet at all. 🙂

Message 9 of 17
plemans
Guru

Thats a nice setup and you're getting pretty solid speeds with your beam service. 

Are you using upnp? 

Message 10 of 17
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Yes UPNP is enabled.
Message 11 of 17
plemans
Guru

I wish I had more to help you with. 

I frequently see issues with IoT devices/NAT when using broadcast internet services. 
I haven't found a good remedy for it. 

A couple people were able to use their router in AP mode because their ISP was simply putting their connection on a VLAN.

Doubt this is an option for you as everything seems to be working other than the Alexa commands. 

Message 12 of 17
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Yeah everything works perfectly fine here, it’s literally just the NetGear “skill” that cannot detect my router for some reason.

Oh well 😞
Message 13 of 17
Dwhbeadle
Aspirant

Did you find any fix for this? Same thing happening to me
Message 14 of 17
Retired_Member
Not applicable

No fix, have practically tried everything.
Message 15 of 17
Dwhbeadle
Aspirant

It seems to be a common issue online. I’m on the phone with NETGEAR support who are being fairly useless
Message 16 of 17
Dwhbeadle
Aspirant

This is pretty telling. These are the NETGEAR Alexa skill reviews. Absolutely insane
Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7