× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Ax120 connection issue

cdoan
Tutor

Netgear Ax120 connection issue

Hello guys! 

Got myself the AX120 router hooked up to Netgear CM1000 w/ Cox Gigablast Service.

Every couple days, I have to restart my modem and re-configure my whole setup again as if I just bought the modem.

Here is what happens. 

Day 1 -

Configure the router via Nighthawk App.

Runs flawless.

Half a day in or so, connection drops, and connects. Speed fluctuates.

Day 2 -

Connections occasionally drops and connects. Speed flucuates 

Then when i surf the net either by phone or PC, there is no internet, but when I run the Speedtest on the app, there is activity. On routerlogin.net dashboard, Internet status shows "GOOD" but can't surf the web.

So when i restart it (by pushing the on/off button) the router resets back to default as if I just got the router. It happens everytime i turn it on/off. So i have to reconfig it again to my preferred SSID/Password.

I have the latest firmware up untl now. 

Any ideas? I don't know a lot about the configuration that is available in the advance system. 

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

The R7800 would have been better for you. Plenty of info on Smallnetbuilders regarding this router.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Hi

There is a hot fix available to download. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RAX120.aspx#download

If this is installed or you install this it's then best to reset the router using the rear pin method on the back of the router.

Hold it in for about 20 seconds then allow the router to boot back up. Setup as new and don't use a saved config. 

Message 2 of 8
cdoan
Tutor

Thanks! I will go ahead and do that.

So, I should download the Hotfix you linked and update it. Then reboot it w/ the reset button for 20 sec and re config as new?

Message 3 of 8
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Yes download and update via the web UI. Let it fully boot up for say 5 mins then you will see the small hole on the rear of the router Marked reset. I use a paper clip for this. You will hear a small clich when you press it with a paper clip and just hold it there for 20l seconds then release.

give the router 5 mins to fully boot then setup again, I normally use the web UI rather than the app to setup.

Message 4 of 8
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Small click not clich. Wish I could edit the post 😊

Message 5 of 8
Weitefx
Aspirant

I have excatly the same issue.  Is the "hotfix' the latest firmware or is there another patch?  If so, I have been running this version for a week and no difference in result.  Keep losing connection to internet specially on WIFI.   Nighthawk app shows "online" when I am not and frequently shows off line when ethernet still goes through.  Any other suggestions? 

Message 6 of 8
cdoan
Tutor

So after what was recommended, I did do it and still had issues. So I ended up getting a new router instead of the all the headache.

Now, I bought the Nighthawk x6s. Now I'm having connection issues and upate issues. Similar problem. I am about to give up on Netgear.

Message 7 of 8
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

The R7800 would have been better for you. Plenty of info on Smallnetbuilders regarding this router.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7