× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear CM1200 to Rax200 WAN aggregation not working ?

K0walskiK0rwa
Aspirant

Netgear CM1200 to Rax200 WAN aggregation not working ?

Hi guys.
Sorry for my bad english. 
I'm trying to connect my CM1200 with RAX200 using WAN aggregation. I'm following steps according to guidelines from the instruction and so far after a week of multiple try i cant do it. My steps was like that:
Im using desktop so i have to reconncet to each device by hand

1) connect ot CM1200 and setup Ethernet Port Aggregation Status, apply chcanges and reboot.
no wires connected bettwin modem and router
2) conncet to rax200 and set multi-gig internet apply changes and reboot.
3) connect wire to port 1 and 2 on modem then connect wires to router on internet connector and lan1.

after all that router go into limbo and start restart it self over and over.

i update my roter to the latest firmware witch is Version V1.0.1.8_1.0.39.
I try connect wires from router to the modem -No go
i try connect 1 wire from modem port 1 to internet connector on the router and the add second wire from modem port 2 to router lan1 -NO go
i think i tray all the combinations with no go.

if you have any solution pleas let me know.

thank you.

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 30
NorcalGuy80
Tutor

Have you made sure to enable port aggregation in the modem itself? I ran into the same problem and realized I had not enabled port aggregation in the modem and it is not factory default to being turned on.  After that, everything worked perfect!

Message 2 of 30
K0walskiK0rwa
Aspirant

Yes i did, i turn on the enthernet aggregtion and is still not working. 

Can you do me a faver and wright down how did you do it yours step by step. 

i know im doing something stupid but i cant figure it out what it is. 

Message 3 of 30
slompochomp
Guide

I connected my PC to Wan port 1 on the CM1100 and enabled Ethernet Port Aggregation on the modem first. Next I connected my PC to the Lan a port 2 on the RAX200 and then connected 2 RJ45 connections from the CM1100 modem to the RAX200 using the Mulit-Gig Internet/Lan 1 ports and then enabled Mulit-Gig Internet using the RAX200 GUI web interface from my PC.

Modem 

RAX200

Message 4 of 30
K0walskiK0rwa
Aspirant

I follow yours steps and i have same problem. Just after connecting 2 RJ45 to the ports on the router side, it work for 30 second and rebot it self, work for another minute and reboot it self again and again. I have few screenshots so you could take a a look. BTW did you had to setup  router MAC address ??

thank you.

Message 5 of 30
K0walskiK0rwa
Aspirant

Message 6 of 30
K0walskiK0rwa
Aspirant

Message 7 of 30
slompochomp
Guide

I setup the RAX 200 some months ago and I believe I did change the router's MAC to my PC MAC so that the modem would work corectly. I will have to check the MAC on the RAX200 later today. Also try the setup wizard and if that does not work try setting link aggregation manually.
Message 8 of 30
slompochomp
Guide

ok it looks like I am using the Default MAC on the RAX200, but you could try changing the MAC on the RAX200 to the MAC from your PC Network card because the modem may be locking in the MAC address from your PC Network card when you setup the Ethernet Port Aggregation on the modem.
RAX200 MAC 

Message 9 of 30
K0walskiK0rwa
Aspirant

I try change for PC mac address like you said with same results router go in to reboot loop. Funny tho that when i have all agrregation setup on the modem and router and just 1 RJ45 connected bettwen is working just right sune after when i plug the second RJ47 router going in to the reboot loop. Looks like i got duzzy and need to replace my router. 

Message 10 of 30
K0walskiK0rwa
Aspirant

Message 11 of 30
slompochomp
Guide

It looks like your RAX200 is doing a continuous loop and if that is correct it should not be doing that. You can try doing a hard reset on the RAX200 and see if that helps resolve the issue.
 How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? 

and or if that does not work save a debug log and contact support and maybe the debug log will help them locate the issue better.

Message 12 of 30
slompochomp
Guide

Note: After you Start the Debug capture try to setup Milti-Gig internet and when the RAX200 starts continuous loop Save the Debug log.

Message 13 of 30
slompochomp
Guide

Also if it does not allow you to save the Dubug Log because it is looping then just click the Start Capture and then Save the Debug Log so you at least have something to give to Support.

Message 14 of 30
K0walskiK0rwa
Aspirant

Thank you for helping me out. I did start and save debug log. on the proces to upload to support. i dont know if is wise to upload debug to forum for security resons. Thank you again for you help i will post everything what i will get from support.

Message 15 of 30
slompochomp
Guide

wonderfull , glad I could help and I hope it gets resolved.

Message 16 of 30
stoutkix
Aspirant

I am having the exact same problem with my RAX200 and CM1200. I cannot get WAN aggregation to work. I followed the steps on the netgear website and it doesn't work. Netgear pushed back the release date of this router like 3-4 months because I Pre-ordered it and it appears that they didn't get all the bugs worked out yet. I even have a CM1100 and went and purchased the CM1200 to see if this would get to work but still not luck. I also then purchased different ethernet cables that met netgears guidlines and it still didn't work. With my ISP i'm suppose to have 1 Gig download speeds and with the Wifi i'm only getting 450mb download speeds. My X10 "R9000" router with my CM1100 would at least get me 650mb download speeds. I spent 2 hours on the phone with netgeat level 2 support today and honestly I think I know more than they do. They got me absolutely no where. 

I uploaded a photo of the WAN aggregation not working. 

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem, RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 17 of 30
K0walskiK0rwa
Aspirant

Im glad that im not alone 🙂 but sorry that you have a problems with it as well. Just to add to the list after a week of  playing with rax200 i have now constant drop and disconnects at least 2 time a day, i have to hard reset my router to get my connection back. like you said they push back the release for 3 moths or more you could think they would beat alfa test the S!@# out of it. 

Message 18 of 30
stoutkix
Aspirant

Last night I finally got mine working by following these steps off the netgear website.

Note: These are not the steps for the RAX200 but for the RAX80.

Follow the second steps listed after the router first. I'll also copy and paste them below. The steps for setting up the router are the same as for the RAX200 but do that part second. You gotta setup the modem first. To my surprise after getting it working I was amazed at actually how much faster websites load. My speed isn't much faster but websites load much faster. There is also less jitter in the connection. Once I activated my modem for Ethernet aggregation I then hooked up both ethernet cables from the modem to the router WAN 1 and Port 1. I then restarted my modem. After that I think I restarted my router after I restarted the modem. Then you go into the router settings and click internet, then under WAN preferences you selct the Multi-Gig Internet (1Gps + 1Gps), then select apply at the bottom. Then if it works it will say in blue Status: WAN aggregation is active. 

Here is a link: https://kb.netgear.com/000060393/How-do-I-set-up-Ethernet-port-aggregation-between-my-NETGEAR-Nighth... 

Follow these steps first: 

To set up Ethernet port aggregation on your NETGEAR Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem:

1. Launch a web browser from a computer that is connected to your cable modem.
  2. Enter 192.168.100.1
    A login window displays.
  3. Enter the user name and password.
    Note: The user name is admin and the default password is password. The user name and password are case-sensitive.
    The BASIC Home page displays.
  4. Select ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Ethernet Port Aggregation.
    The Ethernet Port Aggregation page displays.
  5. Select Enable (LACP-IEEE 802.3ad).
    The cable modem communicates with the router or computer that is connected to the LAN 2 port on your cable modem and checks to see if Ethernet port aggregation is supported on the router or computer.
  6. Click Apply.
    Your settings are saved.
    Note: After you connect the linked ports (WAN and LAN port 1) on your AX8 router to the two linked ports on your cable modem, the Ethernet Port Aggregation Status will show as Active if your router has enabled WAN Aggregation.

Follow these steps second:

To set up WAN aggregation on your NETGEAR Nighthawk Tri-Band AX12 router:

1. Launch a web browser from a computer that is connected to your router’s network.
  2. Enter http://www.routerlogin.net.
    A login window opens.
  3. Enter the router user name and password.
    The user name is admin. The password is the one that you specified the first time that you logged in. The user name and password are case-sensitive.
    The BASIC Home page displays.
  4. Select Internet.
  5. Under the WAN Preference section, select the radio button for Multi-Gig Internet (1 Gbps + 1 Gbps).
  6. Click Apply.

WARNING: Do not connect the devices to each other using more than one Ethernet cable until after you set up the link aggregation group (LAG) on each device. If you form multiple connections between the two devices and neither device has loop prevention, you create a network loop. Network loops can slow or stop normal traffic on your network.

1. Set up link aggregation on the modem that you want to connect to your Tri-Band AX12 router.
  2. Using two Ethernet cables, connect the WAN port and Port 1 to the aggregated ports on the other modem.
    Note: After you connect the linked aggregate ports (WAN and Port 1) on your Tri-Band AX12 router to the two linked ports on your modem, the Ethernet Port Aggregation Status changes from Inactive to Active.

Hope this helps. 

Good luck. 

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem, RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 19 of 30
Altsai
NETGEAR Expert

Did you ever try to complete the configuration on both CM1200 and RAX200 first and after both units reboot, plug-in ethernet cables then?

Message 20 of 30
K0walskiK0rwa
Aspirant

yes i did that sa well i tray all the cobination i could think of with no results. So before you guys had a problem with you router did the router rebot it self over and over when you plug 2 rj45 wires or just did not connect and did nothing ?

Still no updates from Netgear support is bin alomst a week. 

Message 21 of 30
Altsai
NETGEAR Expert

@K0walskiK0rwa wrote:

yes i did that sa well i tray all the cobination i could think of with no results. So before you guys had a problem with you router did the router rebot it self over and over when you plug 2 rj45 wires or just did not connect and did nothing ?

>>> what I did is -- complete ethernet aggregation settings first on both CM1200 and RAX200 (without connecting two CAT5e cables) and then attach two ethernet cables.

Message 22 of 30
Altsai
NETGEAR Expert

@Altsai wrote:

@K0walskiK0rwa wrote:

>>> what I did is -- complete ethernet aggregation settings first on both CM1200 and RAX200 (without connecting two CAT5e cables) and then attach two ethernet cables.

FW version:

• RAX200-V1.0.1.8_1.0.39
  • CM1200-V2.01.01

Message 23 of 30
4estOC
Guide

CM1200 to Rax200 WAN aggregation slows down (requires reboot)

I have a CM1200 modem and RAX200 Router with WAN agreggation (2Gig). My internet speeds slow down to 25Mb after approx 24 hours. Rebooting the router fixes the issue for another 24 hours and then the 25Mb speeds are back. I have to reboot my Router* once a day. This is incredibly frustrating!

Also* QoS seems to be disabled-unavailable when using WAN aggregation on my RAX200. (please fix this)

Message 24 of 30
K0walskiK0rwa
Aspirant

Re: CM1200 to Rax200 WAN aggregation slows down (requires reboot)

I give up on setting aggregation after countless hours traying to. I did replace my router as well and encouraged same issue with download drops.
Message 25 of 30
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 29 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7