× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Nighthawk AX4 + Static route not working.

Kevinsky86
Follower

Netgear Nighthawk AX4 + Static route not working.

I've got a little firewall device in my lan that runs a site to site connection to a remote lan.It's got an IP in my local subnet.

When I locally create a static route for this lan to this VPN box on my Windows machine this works as expected and the remote lan is fully accessible.When I create the same static route on the Nighthawk and remove the static route from my local machine, the remote network is pingable but that's where it stops.

I've got a feeling that it's got something to do with the fact it's routing asymmetricly. (Packet goes to AX4, AX4 sends it to VPN box, VPN box sends reply directly to LAN client where it came from.)I know firewalls that track tcp states can dislike this but you can usually work around this with some sort of setting to stop caring about return packets. Can't seem to find anything equalivant here.

Has anyone gotten anything like this working?

Obviously i can just keep the static route on my machines, but it's kinda the router's job to handle this so I prefer to "offload" this task to it.Also prevents me from having to add static routes to any device that I want to use to talk to the external lan. Which isn't always a possibility (like with smartphones).

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7