× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Nighthawk RAX120 WIFI 6 router power adapter voltage for different countries

Mujahid_G
Aspirant

Netgear Nighthawk RAX120 WIFI 6 router power adapter voltage for different countries

Hi there. I bought a RAX120 WiFi router and I'm a pretty happy with it. I might move in a while to Americas and I know that power sockets there are 110V instead of 220V in my country. So my 220V power adapter will not work there. I'm wondering if I can separately buy an american power adapter (110V or 110-220V) for my router and safely operate it in US / Canada? In other words, will my device work if I simply change the power adapter or my router is designed to work in 220V environment?

Probably if I buy a 110-220V adapter, that will work, but I need to double check with a subject matter expert here. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Mujahid.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
Topology
Virtuoso

Re: Netgear Nighthawk RAX120 WIFI 6 router power adapter voltage for different countries

Mujahid_G, your power adapter is likely imprinted with the text “Input 100-240V, 50/60Hz” and, if so, it should support dual voltage and dual frequency.  A plug adapter may, however, be required for one country versus another.

Message 2 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear Nighthawk RAX120 WIFI 6 router power adapter voltage for different countries

You can just replace it with a 110v power supply. You can't buy them direct but you can get 3rd party one's off amazon/ebay. 

Just make sure the output voltage is the same and you have at least the same amperage. 

the one you have might work too. I know for a while, netgear was using power supplies that worked for both 110 and 220v but wasn't getting them certified in each country for both. so it would only show the same voltage as that country used. saved a little $ for them. 

If you you were feeling adventurous and have a multimeter (and you don't plan on using the power supply again in case it fries) plug it in on the end of an extension cord outside and test it to see if it works. 

Message 3 of 5
Mujahid_G
Aspirant

@plemans wrote:

You can just replace it with a 110v power supply. You can't buy them direct but you can get 3rd party one's off amazon/ebay. 

Just make sure the output voltage is the same and you have at least the same amperage. 

the one you have might work too. I know for a while, netgear was using power supplies that worked for both 110 and 220v but wasn't getting them certified in each country for both. so it would only show the same voltage as that country used. saved a little $ for them. 

If you you were feeling adventurous and have a multimeter (and you don't plan on using the power supply again in case it fries) plug it in on the end of an extension cord outside and test it to see if it works. 

Thanks for the reply. I think I'm not that lucky, cause my adapter has 220-240V input written on it. So from your suggestion I understand that I should buy a 3rd party adapter which is 110-220V, which will have 19V and 3.16A output as stated for my adapter's output. And this will work? That's good news then. I won't have to buy a brand new WIFI router when I move!

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

correct. but you don't have to buy a 110-220v adapter. Just a 110v would work. 

just so long as the output voltage is exactly the same and the amperage is at least as much. You can have higher amps but not lower. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7