× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear RAX40 losing connectivity with Nest Cameras

jrmst102
Tutor

Netgear RAX40 losing connectivity with Nest Cameras

Greetings,

So far, it has been a nightmare setting up this router. The technical support from Netgear is horrible. They are from India or somewhere nearby, and have a terrible attitude. They barely let you speak.

I had a regular Netgear router before, but I decided four days ago to "upgrade" to the new WiFi 6 routers. However, it has been problems after problems. I have re-booted the router about a dozen times, installed a new firmware, and called support twice.

The last issue is that the Nest cameras lose connectivity with the RAX40 router at random times. About twice per day. I called NetGear and they blamed Nest. So, I called Nest and put them on the line, and the guys from Nest gave them the ports 1935 and 443.

According to the guy from NetGear support, they have the information to solve this issue with Arlo cameras, but not with Nest cameras. I am now opening the ports in the RAX40 router to make sure that the cameras are "stable".

The process was:

1) Open Google Chrome Browser (they do not want me to use Firefox)

2) They asked me to re-configure every Nest Camera with 2.4 Ghz because according to them, the cameras are not supposed to work with 5.0 GHz

3) I have to call Nest with them on the line so they could get the ports that the camera uses

4) After configuring the cameras (I had to configure the three of them manually), I lost the connectivity in the Nest Detect and Nest Protect devices

5) The customer service guy kept blaming Nest, and was asking me to call again and ask for the ports to connect every single wi-fi device manually!!

So, I gave up. I am returning this junk.

They could not transfer me to a supervisor, they told me that they are in the Philippines and they have not supervisor because it was 10 pm in the Philippines (it was 10 am on Tuesday, in the East Coast).

This is perhaps the worst customer service that I have found. These Wifi 6 devices are not ready yet for the market.

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Re: Netgear RAX40 losing connectivity with Nest Cameras

Banging on with the same story over and over will do nothing to solve your problem.

Limited Technical Support from the Philippines - NETGEAR Communities

I assume that you have talked to the people who make this Nest stuff.

Message 2 of 3
jrmst102
Tutor

Re: Netgear RAX40 losing connectivity with Nest Cameras

Actually, I solved the problem:

- I returned the Netgear router
- Bought a Google WiFi router
- All the devices are connecting perfectly, and I have better connection and speed than with the NightHawk router (attached is the proof, connecting from my smartphone to a 400Mbps connection, Netgear was very slow on 07/16, on 07/17, I switched to Google WiFi).
- I did not need to make any changed in any device, just plug and play.

So, I believe that the guys from Netgear dropped the ball here. They are not ready for WiFi 6 (AX) and their customer support is definitely not prepared.

So my advice is; buy another router, even consider another brand.

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7