× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear X4S router upgrade to....?

BMSBryan
Follower

Netgear X4S router upgrade to....?

So I have an X4S AC2600 Wifi Router R7800.   I think it's slow because all my devices work slow or not at all.  It might even be defective as it falls off transmitting at least once or twice a day.  This router is a few years old, but I think it has MiMO, but it is till using WiFi 5 and not the newer WiFi 6 band.   I've tried to reach Netgear to ask what a good inexpensive upgrade would be, but there is no way to get this answered unless I pay Netgear for support.  Pretty lame Netgear!!!!!   So, does anyone have expertise on this and can recommend a good router upgrade from the X4S that has WiFi 6 and MiMO.  I also need at least five enthernet ports in the back.  I'm just looking for dependability, less traffic congestion for my dozen or two WiFi devices and speed is very important.   Thanks All -- look forward to hearing your expertise!

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

The R7800 is actually one of netgears best AC routers. 

Any interest in getting it back to top form or are you just wanting to upgrade? 

I've use the RAX200 and it was pretty impressive in performance. It does have 5 ports. 4x standard ports and 1x 5g port 

But I wouldn't let the port deal cause issues. A cheap unmanaged gigabit switch would expand your ports and would be cheaper than trying to find a router with more than the standard 4x ports. 

Message 2 of 3
Cruncher_13
Aspirant

I am still sticking with my R7800 with Voxel Firmware. Even with my secondary RAX40 Test Router which is Wifi6 Capable I never came near the Speed of the R7800.

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7