× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear d850 vdsl not connected

Clockwork100
Aspirant

Netgear d850 vdsl not connected

Good morning  please can anyone assist 

Hi I have purchased a Netgear D850 connected it to the adsl point and it connected but then rebooted and now says no adsl cable connected 

I use BT for my internet provbider and have swapped the adsl cable between the old BThub and the D850 the internet connects to the BT hub no problem 

Any help much appreciated 

Thanks

Brian

The router is running the latest firmware I was going to try dowgrade of firmware but cannopt find the older firmware

Message 1 of 6

Re: Netgear d850 vdsl not connected

@Clockwork100 wrote:

Hi I have purchased a Netgear D850 connected it to the adsl point and it connected but then rebooted and now says no adsl cable connected 

I assume that you mean D8500.

What do the LEDs on the D8500 look like?

The manual tells you what they mean.

If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in the model number and find the documentation, and, if there are any, firmware versions and drivers for your hardware.

If you reset the thing and use the setup wizard, it should find the settings for BT.

Message 2 of 6
Clockwork100
Aspirant

Hi sorry yes its the 8500 

The twisted light remains red and has the message when trying to use the wizard that the dsl cable is not present, I have connected the dsl cable to my old BT hub and it all works well and connects however the D8500 will not recognise that the cable is present. The previous owner only used the router as an access point so never tested the modem side of the router. I suspect that the modem side of the router is defective.

Thanks in advance for looking 

Message 3 of 6

@Clockwork100 wrote:

The twisted light remains red ..

That amber light tells us that it is not "not connected to a DSL service, did not establish a DSL connection, or did not establish an Internet connection". But you knew that anyway.

@Clockwork100 wrote:

The previous owner only used the router as an access point so never tested the modem side of the router.

Aha,  so we are talking second hand.

I see no indication that you have done a factory reset on this thing, as suggested earlier. You should do that to wipe out any memory of previous internet connections.

You don't say what the power LED looks like. I did ask "What do the LEDs on the D8500 look like?"

Message 4 of 6
Clockwork100
Aspirant

Hi 

Both the power light and the twisted pair light are both red 

the wifi lights are white 

if I connect to any of the rj45 sockets the corrosponding indicator lights and flashes 

I have tried a reset a number of times 

When I log into the router through the rj45  cable from my laptop I can access the router and if I try to use the connection wizard or manual setup I get the message that the adsl;vdsl cable is not connected 

Thanks for trying to assist

Message 5 of 6

@Clockwork100 wrote:

Both the power light and the twisted pair light are both red 

Your firmware is corrupt. That's what the red power LED means.

There is more severe, recovery reset, that you could try:

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

If that fails, you are into TFTP country.

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using Windows TFTP | Answer | NETGEAR Support

This isn't the easiest operation, so if you are forced to use it, you could try a web search to find videos that guide you through the process.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7