× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear router readyshare raid 1, possible?

SilverHelado
Aspirant

Netgear router readyshare raid 1, possible?

I can't find any information about this. Is it possible to run raid 1 on two usb drives attached to my router? My RAXE500 has 2 usb port so I figure it could be a possibility?

The purpose of this is that I want to set up a local backup storage for a raspberry pi (homeassistant) which will run once per day around 3am. having a NAS is bit overkill for 300mb to 500mb worth of backups each day and having my pc on for this is not ideal for me.

Another question will be, what's the max storage capacity and largest cheapest flash drive that will work with netgear ready share? Since its just for os backup in non-active hours I don't care much for read and write speed, they just need to be in acceptable range.

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 3
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Netgear router readyshare raid 1, possible?

Hello SilverHelado,

Thank you for your interest in this! The router does not support raid across two USBs. 

Christian 

Message 2 of 3
Razor512
Prodigy

Re: Netgear router readyshare raid 1, possible?

Currently I don't think any router offers that function, especially with 2 separate USB devices. Often the closest you willlsee to functions like that, are RAID enclosures where the enclosure allows you to install 2+ drives, and then it does a hardwareRAID and then provides a USB interface.

One thing to keep in mind, is that with most hardware RAID setups, if the enclosure fails, and you need to recover data. You will often encounter issues where windows will not be able to see any of the partitions on the drive, which can make recovery annoying in those situations.

Ideally if you need redundancy, I recommend just getting a basic NAS, e.g., you can often find 2 bay NAS devices from a number of major brands for around $150. While those will have a low end SOC and a smaller amount of RAM, they are at least able to fully saturate  1 gigabit connection for both reads and writes.

Another option if you can go without redundancy at the router USB storage level, is to have your backup software backup to both a secondary hard drive in your PC, as well as to the network storage. PS, if using windows backup (built in to WIndows 10), it can only backup to one location at a time, thus you will need 3rd party software to backup to multiple locations at once.

If you don' mind a little higher power consumption, a good value way to get a NAS, is to take an old PC, install something like freeNAS, and depending on the build you can often get a good 6-8 SATA ports, on the otherboard, as well as the ability to install a few RAID cards, and add even more drives, thus the system can be expanded over time for a cheaper cost than going with something like a 10+ bay NAS which can often cost more than a high end gaming PC, while not including any drives.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7