× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New AX1800 WiFi 6 Router and Nighthawk Software - Router Not Found

LorenB186
Aspirant

New AX1800 WiFi 6 Router and Nighthawk Software - Router Not Found

I’m trying to setup a new AX1800 WiFi 6 Router using the Nighthawk app on my phone. I link my phone to the new NETGEAR14 WiFi signal and go back to the Nighthawk app and when it attempts to connect to the router, I always get the message “No Router Found.”  I’ve attempted to connect five or six times but always get the “No Router Found” message. The Power, Internet, WiFi, and WPS LED are green.

I’ve never had issues with installing a router before, but this is the first time I’ve used a special app. Is it possible to setup the router without using the app? Is the app crap?

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: New AX1800 WiFi 6 Router and Nighthawk Software - Router Not Found

What actual router do you have? AX1800 is a speed, not a model. 

what modem/gateway are you connecting it to?

Message 2 of 4
LorenB186
Aspirant

it's a R6700AX. I was finally able to get the Nighthawk app to work after i turned off the VPN app on my phone. Why doesn't the installation guide say that. 

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

@LorenB186 wrote:

I’ve never had issues with installing a router before, but this is the first time I’ve used a special app.

Probably its also the first time you used a mobile _and_ had a VPN connection established....

@LorenB186 wrote:

Is it possible to setup the router without using the app?

Of course. Using a Web browser - 4-Stream AX1800 WiFi 6 Router Model R6700AX User Manual p.18 ff. "Use a Web broser to access the router". However, depending on the operating system and the VPN config, you might be able to reach the router Web page, too - or not.

@LorenB186 wrote:

Is the app crap?

Netgear seems to prefer it - probably based on user feeback or data collected - so the default quick start process does show the App based config only.

@LorenB186 wrote:

it's a R6700AX. I was finally able to get the Nighthawk app to work after i turned off the VPN app on my phone. Why doesn't the installation guide say that. 

Valid point. Better the App would detect the presence of a VPN. Not sure if having an always-on VPN on a mobile is the de-facto standard today?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7