× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New Cox Gigablast customer with questions...

Retired_Member
Not applicable

New Cox Gigablast customer with questions...

Hello fellow Netgearheads,

I am making my first community post to get some networking education. Last week, I upgraded to Cox Gigablast (cable) internet in Phoenix area and I am not getting advertised speeds so I would like to see what I can do to improve my speeds. I have used the search function and for the particular hardware I have, I couldnt find much info on a case similar to mine.

I added a couple screenshots as to what my speeds look like. 

When I run the Speedtest on the QoS page of my RAX40 configurration, I get to see 940+ mpbs on the download side, not always, it averages around 860 mpbs, but in the mornings I see 940+ often. So somehow the router is seeing this speed directly coming from the CM1000 modem. Correct?

Nighthawk App Speeds 

-I tried an old (2014 model) Sony laptop directly plugged into the modem and I could only see 340 mpbs range which sounds like a laptop hardware issue- Cox tech had checked outside the house a week ago and we are getting 1+ gpbs coming into the house. So it doesn't look like a Cox issue to me. 

My networking hardware is all in a wiring panel in the laundry room upstairs and the house was built in late 2019. Refer to my iPhoneX speeds. Near the router in the mornings, I was able to get up to 577 mpbs on the phone.

iPhone Speeds 

I guess, along with everyone who has gigabit service having a similar question, how can I get my AppleTV or iPhone see 800-900 mpbs speeds? 

Also would the length of CAT5 cable slow down the speeds? The wiring panel is upstairs in the laundry room and my desktop is plugged into the wall CAT5 outlet downstairs and I am assuming they probably used 30-40 feet of CAT5. My desktop occasionally gets 890 mpbs or so but on average 750 mpbs.

Desktop (wired) Speeds 

How can I improve any of these speeds, particularly the wireless clients?

Thanks.

Model: CM1000|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready, EX7500|AC2200 Nighthawk X4S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender, JWNR2000v2|Wireless- N 300 Router, RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions

Re: New Cox Gigablast customer with questions...

@Retired_Member wrote:

Does the iPhone get better speeds elsewhere?

While standing right next to the network panel, my iPhone was able to get 577 mpbs, that was the highest I clocked ever and that was early in the morning. Probably not much network traffic, we also live in a neighborhood with shared driveways and there is a list of 30 networks available any given time so probably a lot of congestion. 

I was thinking more of "remote" wifi sources with completely different routers, not your RAX40.

It may be that your generation of iPhone will never go faster than you see, wherever you use it.

Google suggests a mixed picture, with some users getting nowhere near the speeds that you get.

The bottom line is that 1 Gbps wifi isn't going to happen, whatever clients you use.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies

@Retired_Member wrote:

I guess, along with everyone who has gigabit service having a similar question, how can I get my AppleTV or iPhone see 800-900 mpbs speeds? 

Wifi speeds will never be as high as wired speeds.

Your modem seems to be delivering the goods. Anything after that depends on many factors. Drivers, cable, wifi clients and on and on.

Are you having problems due to something going slow, or are you just lusting after high numbers?

Message 2 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi Michael,

While standing right next to the network panel, my iPhone was able to get 577 mpbs, that was the highest I clocked ever and that was early in the morning. Probably not much network traffic, we also live in a neighborhood with shared driveways and there is a list of 30 networks available any given time so probably a lot of congestion. 

Your modem seems to be delivering the goods.

Indeed it is so I don't have to deal with Cox or modem firmware updates, configs whatnot,  however I discovered that QoS based on Speedtest was the cause of lower wired speeds, as soon as I selected "I want to define my internet Bandwidth" and picked 1000 down and 35 up, my desktop is nolw hitting around 940 mpbs.

Are you having problems due to something going slow, or are you just lusting after high numbers?

No problems at the moment, I just wanted to make sure that RAX40 is working as it should.

Message 3 of 5

@Retired_Member wrote:

I was thinking more of "remote" wifi sources with completely different routers, not your RAX40.

It may be that your generation of iPhone will never go faster than you see, wherever you use it.

Google suggests a mixed picture, with some users getting nowhere near the speeds that you get.

The bottom line is that 1 Gbps wifi isn't going to happen, whatever clients you use.

Message 4 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

So just a quick follow up, for the ethernet connection, I selected "I want to define my own bandwith" option on the QoS, rather than selecting the "speedtest.net" determination. Selecting 1000 down and 45 up helped with the wired connection, I am now able to get my spec speeds on the wired desktop downstairs.

With the Wi-Fi, I don't have many legacy clients, so I picked short preamble for both radios and selected the highest channels. This also helped quite a bit, iPhoneX (2017 model I think) now can sustain a steady 350-450 mpbs around the house which is more than enough. And it sustains near 700 mpbs near the router. Never had a chance to be at a remote location to test the max speeds for this particular iPhone model but I think 400 ish wifi speeds are pretty acceptable.

Thank you for your responses.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7