× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Firmware Released RAX80 1.0.3.88

NotACockroach
Aspirant

This new firmware has been problematic on my rax80, which was generally working fine beforehand.  The big problem is the need for factory resets.  I had to factory reset after the firmware installation itself.  Annoying, but workable.  I had a power outage tonight, and when the power came back on my router was doing the same thing it was after the firmware install.  I had to factory reset again.  If I have to factory reset every time the power goes out, this thing is going to get thrown in the trash pretty quickly.  

Message 26 of 55
thedge
Tutor

Any idea why factory reset is necessary after firmware update?  Seems a bit extreme.  I also have a EAX80 and an EX7700...will I need to reset the extenders as well?

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 27 of 55

I didn’t and it works well
Message 28 of 55

@thedge wrote:

Any idea why factory reset is necessary after firmware update? 

It isn't always. But updates sometimes introduce changes that are not compatible with older settings.

This is also a support call of last resort when people have problems. "Do a factory reset". Sometimes it works, but often not.

You can always back up your settings before you reset. If that doesn't fix problems, you can then restore the settings.

Message 29 of 55
Orts001
Aspirant

Mine bricked itself after the upgrade from 1.0.2, did a factory reset and tried restoring the settings, same thing...
Message 30 of 55

@Orts001 wrote:
Mine bricked itself after the upgrade from 1.0.2...

What do you mean by that?

The "bricked" term doesn't have a technical definition, but people usually lob it in when they have corrupt firmware, the flashing power LED.

When that happens you can forget about factory resets or restoring settings.

What you can try is the recovery reset:

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

If it works, you may end up in a state where you can reflash the firmware, or get into TFTP:

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using Windows TFTP | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 31 of 55
Orts001
Aspirant

Only the WiFi icon is lit on the router but no WiFi or Lan access is available, that happens when the firmware updated itself or when restoring my old setting after the upgrade.
Only option to get access back is through hard reset
Message 32 of 55

@Orts001 wrote:
Only the WiFi icon is lit on the router ...

And the power LED? You don't say.

That is the important one.

Message 33 of 55
Orts001
Aspirant

Solid red
Message 34 of 55
Orts001
Aspirant

In any case, the "famous" WAN Drops started almost immidiently, I guess it's back to my crappy cable provider WLAN router who works perfectly and wait for the next firmware...
Message 35 of 55
rheck56
Tutor

Geez, seeing a bunch of reports around connection drop issues is really unfortunate. My router (RAX80) is amazing on 1.0.3.88. Have you all looked for channel interference and analyzed the router logs at all? When you get connection drops does the router power cycle itself or does all the lights stay on and it just randomly reconects? @netgear should get the logs of these users devices to help patch the issue in a hotfix firmware.
Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 36 of 55

@Orts001 wrote:
Solid red

Really? According to the manual, that is not possible for the power LED on the RAX80.

Some Internet LEDs go red, indicating no connection throgh the modem to the internet.

Message 37 of 55
Orts001
Aspirant

It's mostly noticeable when streaming Spotify on my onkyo reciever, which does not recover from these hickups while connected via LAN.
Another "issue" I've noticed with the new firmware is that Xbox one now doesn't recognize the new WPA2(AES)/WPA3 config and does not accept the WLAN config.
Message 38 of 55
pir4tedirk
Tutor

Never had any problem with any drive (re)formatted to NTFS.
Message 39 of 55
thedge
Tutor

I did a factory reset this morning...and many many hours later I have my network back up and running.  I reset the router with the extenders turned off to simplify things.  After the reset, the network drops started ocurring almost immediately.  I tried different settings and reboots trying to narrow the problem down.  Once I turned off OFDMA for 2.4 and 5GHz networks and set security back to WPA2-PSK from WPA2(AES)/WPA3 and restarted the router.  Instantly, after reboot everything started working again.  I added both extenders to my network and I haven't experienced any issues for several hours.  The only odd thing I see now are two devices on my network that have IP addresses outside the range of addresses my router would assign.  My IP's start with 10.0.0 and one of the addresses is 169.254.95.216 (which I know is connected to a Nanoleaf smart lights) and another 192.168.1.250 which I have no idea where that is from.

I''m just happy to be back up and running.

Message 40 of 55

@thedge wrote:

My IP's start with 10.0.0 and one of the addresses is 169.254.95.216 (which I know is connected to a Nanoleaf smart lights) and another 192.168.1.250 which I have no idea where that is from.

It may come from a modem/router that sits in front of your RAX80.

The RAX80 likes to use 192.168.1.1, but if it senses another router on your network it will opt for 10.0.0.1 or something else.

As various manuals say:

"If the router detects a conflict with a WAN IP address, it changes its IP address to 10.0.0.1 or 172.16.5.1."

This may well explain the problems you had, not to mention the mess of addresses that you see.

I may be well off track, but you can confirm that by telling us the make and model of the modem, of there is one, in front of your router.

If all is well now, fine, but if I am correct, and you want to avoid future problems, you might want to sort out this "double NAT" obstacle.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 41 of 55
johnsanc
Tutor

I have the Costco RAX75, but the firmware appears to be the same as the RAX80. This is the most frustrating experience I have ever had with any piece of technology. I get constant wifi dropouts from all devices. Any devices that are hard wired work perfectly fine.

I tried factory resetting several times and nothing seems to help. Most of the time I have to turn off wifi on my device and turn it back on in order to reconnect. I need to do this every few minutes for some devices. This firmware is completely broken.

Message 42 of 55
johnsanc
Tutor

After server hours my wifi seems to have stablilzed on its own somehow. I suspect the issues were related to that new Netgrear Armor thing (which I swear I did NOT enable but it turned on anyways). I noticed hundreds of login attempts in my syslog for my server on my network. This lasted a few hours and they were originating from my router. I turned that off and won't be using it. Hopefully things stay stable - fingers crossed.

Message 43 of 55
bayarnd
Star

Netgear Support updated my AX8/RAX75 to the new .88 firmware because we had several malfunctions on my router with the .76 release.

After 2 hours of remote screen sharing, updating, resetting, testing, uploading screenshots and logfiles, the 2nd tier support technician had run into so many problems, that we downgraded to .64 again. Problems with the new release included total loss of admin connections from iOS devices, frequent loss of admin connection from Windows10 Pcs (both wireless and ethernet), the router not recognizing attached USB devices correctly, Readyshare folders deleted at reboot etc.

/bayarnd

Message 44 of 55
Nmouneimne
Apprentice

@bayarnd wrote:

Netgear Support updated my AX8/RAX75 to the new .88 firmware because we had several malfunctions on my router with the .76 release.

After 2 hours of remote screen sharing, updating, resetting, testing, uploading screenshots and logfiles, the 2nd tier support technician had run into so many problems, that we downgraded to .64 again. Problems with the new release included total loss of admin connections from iOS devices, frequent loss of admin connection from Windows10 Pcs (both wireless and ethernet), the router not recognizing attached USB devices correctly, Readyshare folders deleted at reboot etc.

/bayarnd

I spoke with a tech this weekend and explained how 1.0.1.64 has been the most stable for me. I also explained how that version of the firmware is missing from the downloads section for the RAX80. Hopefully, they get this straightened out. 

Message 45 of 55
thedge
Tutor

I'm using the standard AT&T router since it came from my provider but I have turned off the Wi-Fi bands and hard wired my Nighthawk to the AT&T router.  i have 120+ devices on my home network an this was the easiest way to preserve the existing networrk name when I added the Nighthawk.

I don't see how those strange addressess appear as the AT&T router isn't acting as a DHCO service and passing out IP addresses on my wireless network.

I'm just glad the network is back up and running again.

Message 46 of 55
pir4tedirk
Tutor

I have (only) 27 devices on my network, 4 WiFi 6 and 7 wired.
This release works allows home automation to work blazingly fast and the cooling fan to kick in.
Apart from reformatting USB drives to NTFS, which works perfectly, no special settings to allow it to work really well. Very happy vs previous firmware.
I did can the Armour and Circle options, enabled AX and ODFMA on both radios, WP2&WPA3.
Not being a smartass but maybe full reset and one issue at a time works.
Message 47 of 55
Nmouneimne
Apprentice

@pir4tedirk wrote:
I have (only) 27 devices on my network, 4 WiFi 6 and 7 wired.
This release works allows home automation to work blazingly fast and the cooling fan to kick in.
Apart from reformatting USB drives to NTFS, which works perfectly, no special settings to allow it to work really well. Very happy vs previous firmware.
I did can the Armour and Circle options, enabled AX and ODFMA on both radios, WP2&WPA3.
Not being a smartass but maybe full reset and one issue at a time works.

Are you able to transfer large files (3GB or more) to the USBNetword drive?

How are you speeds compared to the last firmware?

Message 48 of 55
thedge
Tutor

Smart ass?....no worries...I think you were making a good suggestion. I did the reset a few days ago and it was a “pain in the ass“ for the better part of the weekend. Things are working fine now.
Message 49 of 55
pir4tedirk
Tutor

Large number of files large batch no problem, most files around 2-6 Gb from Mac to NVMe 3.1 interface formatted NTFS.
Seriously fast network, fastest ever been on. All devices though this one router, one fast switch for entertainment hub.
Message 50 of 55
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7