× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Firmware Released RAX80 1.0.3.88

Seperis
Guide

Firmware Version V1.0.3.88_1.0.41 

Installation:

The update wasn't available in the router so I downloaded it from Netgear and installed manually.

After installing and reboot, it was unresponsive, so I had to shutdown and do a cold restart. Some of my settings--like my DHCP range--were reset and caused some minor difficulties but that's why I have a network spreadsheet with all my MACs and IPs to validate my settings.

The only things it seemed to erase were a.) the DHCP range; b.) possibly two port forwards, but since I only keep port forwarding up when I'm actively using them and erase them when I'm done, it's possible I'd already erased them; c.) some of my names from both the LAN setup page where I assigned IPs and Access Control under Security. But...Nighthawk firmware was doing that before and it might have been the earlier firmware. Right now I'm renaming everything and making a date entry in my spreadsheet to start the clock how long it holds everything.

I've only begun initial testing--my job, which is software testing, kind of got overwhelming--but below is what is working and didn't used to.

Opinion: I reserve the right to complain later, but as of about a weekish of use, this is infinite+1 improvement.

So far, awesome:

1.) My speed is still fantastic, but that's the only thing that ever worked and the only thing that made me not replace this router and then burn it beneath the new moon covered in goat's blood. The speed has always been fantastic. It's still fantastic.

2.) My USB shares now stick around. Like, all the time.

Context: I just got a Nvidia Shield TV Pro and moved my Plex server from my Pi to it along with the drive enclosure with all my media drives. The Shield dead refused to recognize my drive when I direct connected with USB, so I temporarily connected it to the Nighthawk router before the update just for testing Shield's Plex server. Of course, the router kept forgetting th9se rives existed. I was preparing to move the drive enclosure to my home server and mount it to the Shield from there (which I was trying to avoid), but between work and everything, I didn't get to check it until a few days after the update.

All my shares were showing in Plex on the Shield and all my libraries were up to date; the shares showed on my LAN and were accessible from my laptop, my server, my son's PC, and my Pi. I hosted a movie night online for friends and everything worked. Friends with library access report no problems. I check at random and the usb shares are right there.

3.) The Attached Devices screen is shockingly accurate as type of item; also, it now knows there are items that are not iPhones or Macs. It correctly recognizes my doorbell, a few smart speakers, my computers, my phones, my tablets as far as icons go, and got a surprising number of IoT items right. But now I have to categorize my four network switches as router since switch isn't on there, and my three AP routers as routers as well. Any suggestions on how to categorize them correctly? They're hardwired into the LAN; do I call them extenders?

4.) Names that were there right after I updated the firmware seem to have stuck, but I'm fixing all of them and their model names now and will report how long they stick.

5.) I don't think I'm imagining the layout fixes on some pages?

So far, weird:
1.) On the Attached Devices, the sort order is--weird?  I have no idea what the sort is, but even after I switch it to IP address, it defaults back to whatever it's using now.  Annoying, but happily, that's my biggest complaint.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 51 of 55
mjc775
Star

@magfred wrote:

Now the peculiarities:

• The "Show statistics" page on the advanced home screen still show intermittent WAN drops/reconnects (about once every 24 hours). Strangely I have yet to find corresponding log entries in the ISP modem or the RAX80 log. 

Your post inspired me to check my "Logs" - the first time since I installed the RAX80 3 months ago. It includes various "DHCP IP" entries for the past 2 hours or so, then the remainder of the log is hundreds of entries of "Wednesday, Dec 31,1969 16:00:00" with no other data listed.

Is anyone else seeing this?

BTW, I'm still on FW V1.0.1.70_ I came to this thread to see if I should do the update. For the most part I've been very happy with my current firmware, speeds and reliability other than an occasional random reset every 2-3 weeks.

Message 52 of 55
baileyj0611
Tutor

I'm now running this firmware with ZERO issues - Hooked up to ATT GIgapower 1gb/1gb connection - consistent at 940 both ways.

network storage functionality working perfectly *knocks on wood*

I did however have to set WAN to DHCP to grab an IP from the att box, I htink it's something to do w/their **bleep**ty Pace modem - It doesn't like to run DMZ plus mode that wall - It sort of worked, btu had DNS issues.

Message 53 of 55
magfred
Guide

I have lots of similar entries in my log as well, only a different date and time for some reason:

Thursday, Jan 01,1970 01:00:00

Message 54 of 55
xjn
Apprentice
Apprentice

I posted the following in the LAN disconnects discussion thread... here are steps I took to get mine working fairly well since have also had trouble with RAX80 for over a year now.

My RAX80 is fairly stable on newest firmware after backup settings and then reset & restore settings. There are still quite a few bugs remaining since purchase around February 2019, but I am not seeing any major issues.

I have SmartConnect disabled and as many devices hardwired as possible using two unmanaged switches. The WiFi devices are locked to either 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz. I put all important phones, tablets, and laptops on the 5GHz network and moved to 5GHz DFS higher 80 width channel to reduce interference.

I put SmartHome devices such as lights, Sonos Move or security camera on 2.4GHz lower 20 width lower channel since speed is not required and prefer range for those devices. I also purchased an EAX80 hardwired over Ethernet in AP mode to help spread the load so all Roku devices connect to it on 2.4GHz middle 20 width channel. I put non essential tablets and phones on 5Ghz DFS lower 80 width channel on EAX80 to also help lower interference instead of trying RAX200.

Main issues I still see is temporary LAN disconnection once a day or so. I also sometimes see 5Ghz network disappear, but I think that is due to radar detection forcing router to move off of DFS channel sometimes. Usually switching to another DFS channel gets it back up running quick.

I also see the QoS prioritization levels for devices sometimes change from what I set them too, so have to periodically check to make sure certain devices are low priority such as SmartHome devices and keep Smartphones and tablets at high priority. I get faster speeds on wireless and WiFi with QoS enabled even though I have gigabit service.

Highest wireless speed I have seen was between 700 and 800... average speed for wireless is 500 to 600 depending on time of day and possible interference. Wired speed I routinely see 900 unless issue on Comcast's end.

I had some issues with IP leases being assigned to multiple devices, so took time to reserve an IP for every device on network since don't have many. I removed External HD from router in effort to offload the amount of things it has to juggle. I keep just a small thumb drive plugged in for temporary file storage.

I would like to get a Synology DS198 hardwired over Ethernet to use as NAS, but I don't really need it since I don't have a lot of files to store... until then I have been working on setting up headless Raspberry Pi to handle some NAS functions, smart home hub, DNS server, and possibly a VPN server.

I have two Pi setup for redundancy now since set the PiHole DNS servers in DNS settings of Netgear Router. I have not tried using Pi as DHCP server yet, but may give it a try in order to offload more functions from RAX80.

I don't use Parental Controls, traffic meter, internal VPN service, or Remote Management in RAX80. I have enabled AX, OFDMA, Beamforming, MU-MIMO, and WPA2/WPA3... I tried WPA3 only on 5GHz network since all my 5GHz devices support it but ran into frequent disconnects so switched back to hybrid WPA2/WPA3.

I also enabled the new Bitdefender Armor feature and have not seen drop in performance. Hopefully they will be able to fix remaining the issues soon. I have tried to be patient over last year since spent a lot of money on this thing.

I swore off buying more Netgear equipment at end of last year, but decided to try EAX80 to see if it would help since many of other competitors have issues too or less config options such as no manual channel selection, no DFS support, fixed DNS, single name 5Ghz & 2.4Ghz network, etc...

I originally was going to switch to Amplifi Alien, but after reading the Amplifi forum saw many issues similar to Netgear with less options to work around then due to lack of config options such as DFS or manual channel selection. Some Alien users even had RAX series and saw even worse speeds after switching, so seems like overall these new routers aren't finished.

All we can do is be patient it seems... I work in tech so understand it is hard, but just wish Netgear would communicate more with users so important issues can be resolved sooner. I don't have time to call tech support and seems like a waste since mostly firmware issues that only engineering team can fix. Hopefully Netgear employees following the threads can relay some of our findings and fixes so that a solution can be worked on.

Message 55 of 55
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7