× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Firmware Update RAX200 V1.0.2.88_1.0.50

dglsmcd_USMC
Luminary

New Firmware Update RAX200 V1.0.2.88_1.0.50

Get the firmware update for the RAX200 here:

https://kb.netgear.com/000061900/RAX200-Firmware-Version-1-0-2-88 

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 9
JHoarty
Aspirant

Installed the update last night! Early observations:

1) With Smart Connect, my Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra phone now spends a lot more time on the 5 GHz band than the 2.4 band, which it seemed to spend most of its time on prior to the update. This is great news, because I really like Smart Connect. My wife's iPhone 11 stayed on the 5 GHz band even before the update.

2) Many more icons available for the plethora of devices listed in the Device Manager.

3) Once change I noticed and am not sure if it's intentional or not, the Device Manager in the Nighthawk app is no longer real time. What I mean is that when a device is powered down, it still shows up in the Device Manager, even after a refresh. Don't know when the Device Manager truly refreshes with active devices, as opposed to devices that were on at some point during the day. I'd rather have it be real time, especially with a refresh, so I assume this is a bug. I like knowing what's actually connected at any given time.

4) Some wireless devices are showing up as wired, albeit temporarily. My Samsung smartwatch showed up as a wired device whien it was not connected to the network, and once I connnected it, it got moved the the Wireless section of the Device Manager. 

Message 2 of 9
RajaDaja
Luminary

Hello,

When you install new firmware V1.0.2.88_1.0.50 did you do a factory reset? If not, What changes did you make? if any.....Also do have ipv6 enabled? Thanks

Model: CM1000-1AZNAS|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready, R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router, RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 3 of 9
JHoarty
Aspirant

Factory reset...I did not do that, but it's a great idea. I will do that next and report back . I did enable IPv6 after the update. It says available on LAN but not on WAN.

Message 4 of 9
RajaDaja
Luminary

Thanks for the info, I kept trying to enable ipv6 with no luck. Auto config/detect did not work...... As you mentioned, ipv6 did come up for LAN but not WAN so I trashed the update and went back to previous firmware.
Model: CM1000|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready, R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router, RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 5 of 9
dglsmcd_USMC
Luminary

Doing a hard reset after a firmware update is standard procedure for any router/network device. Drilling down to the basic programming level (assembly language) it is strictly binary code-nothing more than a series of 0's and 1's. All it takes is just one 1 or 0 out of place and the device does not operate as intended. One less trouble shooting step to consider if it is done from the out set.

Message 6 of 9
RajaDaja
Luminary

That’s exactly how I go about updating firmware.
Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 7 of 9
JHoarty
Aspirant

Ok, so I did the Factory Reset. Still the same issue with the Device Manager, in that my phone is listed TWICE in the 5GHz section and once again in the Guest Network 5G-2 section, all w/different IP addresses, so I guess that's why. I have an Amazon Echo Show 5 device listed in the Guest Network and that's not correct. Connected devices still doesn't update when refreshed, unless it's a new device that comes online, which may explain why my phone is listed 3 times, since all 3 have a different IP address. If the refresh would show only active devices online, this wouldn't occur. Disconnected devices (powered down or put in Standby) continue to show.

This firmware update seems to have addressed my phone often times being connected to the 2.4 Ghz channel w/the previous firmware, using Smart Connect. HOWEVER, being on the Smart Connect, where it had me on 5 GHz, I had a Speedtest result of 121/59 just now, but when I switched over to our Guest Network 5 GHz 2 (since Smart Connect can't be implemented on the Guest network) and did the same test, I got a whopping 345/115, so I think the jury's still out on whether Smart Connect is worth its convenience. It's certainly better than before, but that's a heck of a speed difference and I was in the exact same place.

I normally don't like being a beta tester, but in this case, I think I'd like to be, just so the Netgear engineering team might deal with these issues. Does anyone know if there's a beta program for Netgear routers? $500 is a lot of money for a router and I feel like helping out in order to get my money's worth by having this thing work the way it should. 

Message 8 of 9
itzwolf
Aspirant

I can confirm rolling back to the previous firmware also resolved the broken IPv6 issue.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7