× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New GS116 switch. Plugging it to my New Netgear RAX200 Router makes it Drop ALL INTERNET??

joe_wht
Luminary

New GS116 switch. Plugging it to my New Netgear RAX200 Router makes it Drop ALL INTERNET??

I just bought 2 Netgear GS116 unmanaged switch to replace my 2 antique Netgear 8 port switches.

ONLY -1- GS116 arrived today.

I'm using this with my New Netgear RAX200 Router & Netgear CM600 Modem.

When I moved all the plugs over tot he GS116 (attaches to Router)

ALL the internet on my Router DIED.. WiFi & Ethernet...

I moved everything BACK to the Old switch and internet works !! ??

--- What am I missing??   The instructions are simple.. Plug & that's it.

I've Rebooted...  I've Recycled powering down, unplugging Everything..

Turning on the Modem, then Router, Then Switch, Then Laptop/computer & such..

NOTHING WORKS ..

Now, when the switch is all plugged up, All the lights work Fine,  The router port that it's

plugged in.. lights up...  BUT NO  INTERNET.

------- Once I get that fixed...  When my 2nd GS116 comes in.. can I attach it to the FIRST GS116??

See.. my modem is in my back computer room.. Cat6a runs to my Living room Router(where I live Dish, Tv, Bluray, Roku, NAS)

Router & Switch ports runs my entertainment center & laptop.. then an Ethernet cord runs BACK

to the Office into the 2nd switch that runs the computer, printer & 2 Rooms of dish, Tv, Bluray, Roku, Bose.

---+++///  But right now I gotta get the 1st GS116 working with the RAX200

Model: GS116|Gigabit Switches
Message 1 of 3
joe_wht
Luminary

Re: New GS116 switch. Plugging it to my New Netgear RAX200 Router makes it Drop ALL INTERNET??

ALL FIXED !!

After Rebooting 1,000 times.  Recycling the Modem, Router, Computers, Switches 100 times..

Swaping the ethernet cables from the OLD to New GS116 over & over checking my laptop webpage to see

if for some reason it DID NOT FREEZE...

I FInally decided to hookup -1- single device at a time...

SO I ...

RESET The Router..

Unpluged EVERY DANG THING, modem, router, switches ---

Plugged up the modem... then Router, Then my Laptop so I could see what failed..

I plugged up the NEW GS116 -- and all was good

I turend ON WIFI --- All was good

Then I plugged up -1- item at a time --- All was GOOD !!

-- By Mistake, not  thinking about it, I even plugged my 2nd GS116 Switch INTO my 1st GS116

.. I think I have a FREE ethernet cable that's still plugged up.. tomorrow I'll plug it straight into my router.

NOW ---  I lost all my  " Attached Devices" - Names..  My Sunday, -1- day off from work might me FILLED WITH THAT !!

QUESTION ---  On my old routers I would RESERVE the IP Addresses -- on everyting since BACK THEN Netgear had check boxes

to ADD Everything that was not already assigned..

is this a DRAG on the router ???  ...  Of course knowing my Printer, NAS, & Desktop IP address is useful, but for some reason I like

knowing everything will always be the same.

Message 2 of 3
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi joe_wht, 

Thanks for sharing your experience as it may help others!

Christian 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7