× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Night Hawk RAX50 isnt "seen" by this Windows 7 machine

21Rouge
Guide

New Night Hawk RAX50 isnt "seen" by this Windows 7 machine

Not the most technically inclined so bear with me. 

Just today I replaced our 6 year old NETGEAR router with this new Nighthawk router. 

(I am sure that the cable modem is in bridge mode).

Every device was able to see this default Netgear network (say NETGEAR123) and entering the given password all was good EXCEPT my partner's work HP EliteBook which runs Windows 7 Enterprise. It does not "see" this wireless network NETGEAR123. Given the strength signal ie right beside the router I believe it has been ID'd as "Other Network". But entering the name and password I get the message that Windows cant connect. (But there was no problem for the preious much older Netgear router). I checked the box and it appears that Windows 7 is legit for this RAX50

Any obvious, hopefully straightforward things I could check to get this up and running for this Windows 7 Enterprise machine?

Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

What actual wireless chip is in the HP elitebook? 

Many older chips and/or drivers had issues with wireless AX and not being able to see the ssid. 

Many times you can go directly to the wireless chip manufacturer (not HP) and updating the chips driver. 

Sometimes this fixes the issue. 

Message 2 of 9
21Rouge
Guide

@plemans wrote:

What actual wireless chip is in the HP elitebook? 

Many older chips and/or drivers had issues with wireless AX and not being able to see the ssid. 

Many times you can go directly to the wireless chip manufacturer (not HP) and updating the chips driver. 

Sometimes this fixes the issue. 

Thanks @plemans for taking the time to reply. 

How would I check as to the specific wireless chip for this particular HP...in..."System Information" or ?

(Given that it is a company machine she may be restricted as to being able to do such updates).

(Am I right in saying that one cant turn off AX for just this one affected maching but having it up for all the other seamlessly connected devices?)

Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

You can disable AX mode but that ruins half the point of getting an AX router. 

if you go to device manager in windows. Then click on the wireless network adapter. It should tell you there what adapter it is and what driver is on it. Then you go to that specific manufacturers website to find the latest driver for it. 

Message 4 of 9
21Rouge
Guide

Thanks again. I will check when I am able. (As I said she is able to connect just fine wired to this router so there isnt urgency at this point).

But its odd that this HP notebook cant see the router but my 6 year old GRACE Internet radio had no problem.

Message 5 of 9
21Rouge
Guide

It looks like the one in question is the "Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260" (Driver Version 19.1.0.4 of 7/14/2016)

Message 6 of 9
plemans
Guru

Intels had issues. 

Try updating it here: 

Downloads for Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260

Message 7 of 9
plemans
Guru

Let me know if it doesn't work. 

Message 8 of 9
21Rouge
Guide

Thank you. 

(She has put in a call to her company's tech support to hopefully get them to do the update)

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7