× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New Nighthawk shutting down elements of windows 10 on one device

djp13
Tutor

New Nighthawk shutting down elements of windows 10 on one device

Hi All,

Hoping someone can help as I am at a loss and about to take the device back - neither I, or even the IT support guys at work who I paid a call out fee to have managed to sort this issue out. 

I set up the new nighthawk at home and to begin with everything was compatiable and working ok - I'm on BT internet at home, so had swapped out the homehub for an old open reach modem and sorted out the log in etc in the router control panel. 

We disabled the smart wifi as my wifes laptop couldn't pick it up, but are getting internet on everything now. Except my laptop (a HP spectre circa 3 years old). I nget a connection for a day and then usually just before 4pm it starts to crash my computer - things like the windows search bar, outlook not working, and more... and the connection shows as extremely slow. 

I thought I'd fixed it by pointing the DNS to google on the router and the wifi settings on my laptop - but then the next day it all crashed again. 

I've disconnected and reverted back to the homehub as spent days messing around with this and not getting a result - technical support were also unhelpful. 

Any one experienced this kind of thing before?!!

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: New Nighthawk shutting down elements of windows 10 on one device

What wireless card is in the laptop?

Its only the laptop having issues? 

Have you (temporarily) tried disabling the wireless in the laptop and run it off ethernet? If its a wireless card issue, an easy test would be by disabling the wireless card. Might not be a router issue at all but an issue with the wireless card failing at using wireless AX. 

Message 2 of 5
djp13
Tutor

I have - Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260

I will try going back to nighthawk and using a lead to see if its an issue with the wireless card - I dont think its the AX as this is what we turned off due to my partners latpop not being compatible.

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

make sure you update the driver for the intel wireless card. Intel ran into big issues with driver support when AX was released. They've been fixed with driver updates but you need to get them from intel. The ones they push out to windows/dell/hp/etc don't have the update

Message 4 of 5
djp13
Tutor

Thanks - i'll see if I can get an update and see what happens!!! 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7