× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New RAX120 Firmware 1.0.1.136 is trash I rolled back

New RAX120 Firmware 1.0.1.136 is trash I rolled back

I updated the firmware on my RAX120 to 1.0.1.136. What a NIGHTMARE!! All iPhones locked on 2.4ghz. Terribly slow loading of apps & pages. Way more Microsoft Teams drop outs, Sonos Speaker took forever to connect.

I rolled back to firmware 1.0.1.122 & my network is flying again. 26 devices all well connected with no issues.

Roll yours back & turn off auto-updates.
Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 20
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

I've not had any issues so far.

Did you perform a factory reset after the update?

What are your WiFi settings?

What steps have you taken to try and solve the issue?

The more info the better the chance the issues can be solved or the issue if it's a firmware related one can be noted and worked on.

Message 2 of 20

I run a household of 5. I don’t have free time to play with my router settings. They worked terrifically since I bought it in June. Rollback instantly fixed it.
Message 3 of 20
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

A reset takes as long as a roll back, just make sure you know your credentials and that's it.

It's advisable to do a reset after any update and it's also best to keep up with security updates just for peace of mind. 

Message 4 of 20

I didn’t pay $500 to be a beta tester. Imagine saying that to someone with a pacemaker or a dialysis machine? I thought I was buying top of the line. WiFi should be invisible. Set it & forget it.
Message 5 of 20
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

It's a reset, far from a beta. I've got the 120 and it's fine but I always reset after an update. Great router, fab coverage and just sits there doing its job. Ok it could do with more features and better QoS.

All you have to do is reset, if you go to smallnetbuilder and search for a little article from Merlin it explains why it's best to perform a reset after an update. 

Message 6 of 20
Killhippie
Prodigy

122 is not the last version to roll back to for a start, its 128! Secondly just factory reset the router, I`m using 136 with similar devices and have no issues like yours. I always factory reset after an update it cleans up so you start with afresh slate and makes sure you have no conflicts from old to new firmware, it gives way less problems. I'm disabled, in constant pain also using a wheelchair and if I can do it with all my DHCP reservation and other settings in about anyone can. Rolling back on a security udate is also a bad move as it will leave your router open to attack. Don't update via the app and don't use auto update, that's my mantra. I always update manually from a connected computer having downloaded the firmware first.

Message 7 of 20
Threefeethighan
Aspirant

Let's be clear here.  Anyone who has not had issues with the rax120 firmware is simply incredibly lucky.  Factory resets don't do anything when the firmware is so bad that it randomly trashes some people's networks while continuing to work well for others.  Netgear seems to have great new hardware but absolutely no grasp of how to create and improve the firmware that runs it. I have purchased and used Netgear routers for over 20 years and always loved them. Have had the rax120 for 14 months.  Nightmare from day 1. So bad I even paid for the extended warranty and technical support, which doesn't really know how to deal with the rax120 problems, either.  I am on the FOURTH unit in 14 months, because technical support admits that a $500 router should not work so poorly almost every day for me, but can't figure out what to do to improve the performance, so they chalk it up to hardware radio problems.  But I believe the problems are all in the firmware.  And very random because the firmware is just not well made.  I will now have to roll back from 136 as well, because, even with multiple resets, it took my 5G network down from 150 Mbs to 5 Mbs (one room and a total of 60 feet away,  not good performance to begin with, admittedly, but at least usable), and took my 2.4G network down from 100 Mbs to 20 Mbs.  Netgear needs to hire and pay firmware people who know what they are doing.  Once I finally convince myself to abandon a $500 router (this Black Friday, probably), I will likely never buy another Netgear product again.  Just a shame, really.  And shame on Netgear for sticking their collective heads in the sand, as I bet they have never had so many complaints and firmware issues before the rax120.

Message 8 of 20
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Are you saying 60ft is a problem with your connection rate?

Message 9 of 20
RenoT
Aspirant

Stupid question.  When you factory reset that means you will need to go to all your IoT devices and connect them one at a time back to your wifi network right? Thanks.

Message 10 of 20
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

If you use the same credentials all your devices should reconnect with no issues. Before resetting make sure you have taken all the details of channel names and passwords then simply setup as before.

sometimes devices can be a bit a of a pain but 99% of the time once you have reset and added all the details the devices will auto join.

Message 11 of 20
Killhippie
Prodigy

Yep that's what I do, I just set the SSID and password up as before and all my devices reconnect.

Message 12 of 20

So I went back and put 1.0.136 back on my router. Still having issues with certain devices getting 30 to 40 feet away and channel hopping. But for no particular reason at all putting it on a second time has given me better overall results I think the only thing left is my problems with Armor and it's VPN occasionally getting jammed. 

Message 13 of 20
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Are you using a single SSID?

if so the devices will swap channels when they reach a predetermined reference which down to the device and not router.

Message 14 of 20

since the update a few nights ago... my 2.4G Kasa devices wont connect to the router. I roll the router back to v1.0.1.122 and all works again... and even though i have auto update firmware set as DISABLE.... it keeps updating it to 1.0.2.136 each night.... and then my Kasa devices are offline again.

Message 15 of 20
Killhippie
Prodigy

I answered this in the other post, its easier to keep the posts together as this is a different firmware, this is 1.0.1.136 the latest is 1.0.2.136. Make sure you are running the latest firmware as above 1.0.2.136. Use the pinhole at the back and factory reset the router, manually update your settings, do not use a saved config file.

Since this is a security vulnerability like the last update too and we don't know how severe the issue is, stay on current firmware for your safety. If after a full reset you still have issues contact Netgear support if you still have that available or post here,

Message 16 of 20

my firmware is set to DISABLE automatic firmware updates... but somehow it downloaded and installed 1.0.2.136

all of my kasa 2.4g devices wont connect... found out DHCP isnt working on this update

used version 1.0.1.122....but somehow it keeps updating to 1.0.2.136 every night...

and yes... the radio button next to DISABLE automatic firmware updates is marked.

and no... factory reset didnt help

THUS... i had to telnet into debug mode to actually turn off auto updates by using this info... 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-V1-12-0-18-Discussion/td-p/1320421/page/5

Message 17 of 20
Killhippie
Prodigy

Contact Netgear and Kasa and mine did not auto update to 1.0.2.136 but since it seems like a high priority security update better you have it than get your router in some mess due to a vulnerability. Also dont run the router at 160Mhz leave that turned off and if you have connection issues and no AX devices downgrade settings to AC router settings, you wont loose out on much. Also turn off PMF as that can cause connection issues. Have you tried wiping your Kasa devices and reinstalling them? It may be that simple? If they can see the RAX120's 2.4Ghz signal they should be able to coinnect.

Message 18 of 20

I have been using version 1.0.1.122 for weeks now with NO single issue at all with all my 75 connected devices! Care less of their security updates. Godspeed.

Message 19 of 20
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

It's a shame you can't get it to run on the latest firmware. While it might not be important for you some of the security updates really are needed to protect your network. 

let's hope when the next firmware is released you can try that but I feel there is something unique your end that is the cause of the issues.

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7