× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: [Time synchronized with NTP server] RAX80 Router disconnects me from the internet from time to t

EdCzar
Star

Re: [Time synchronized with NTP server] RAX80 Router disconnects me from the internet from time to t

Bad News

New firmware has been released and this issue was not addressed in the update.  It seems like they are unable to solve this problem.  

Worse yet, have a look at the thread announcing the release - it seems to have create a lot more problems then it had solved.  I would not suggest upgrading.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/New-RAX200-Firmware-Version-1-0-6-...

Message 26 of 56
Maike13
Guide

Re: New - RAX200 Firmware Version 1.0.6.138 Released

@FURRYe38 - Thanks for the reply.  Sorry for the delay in replying.  I posted two replies earlier but neither have shown up.  Hopefully this third time is the charm.

No I didn't have time to mess with factory reset/re-configure, but I should have some free time Thursday evening and I'll re-load the new firmware and give that a shot.  My router set-up is pretty much the defaults.  All I did was change the admin password, change the network names, add network passwords, add more descriptive device names, and assign static IP addresses to two devices (a print server and a printer).  So no Armor, SPC or Traffic Meter enabled.  Here are the wireless settings:

Enable AX - Enabled
Enable OFDMA in 2.4GHz - Not Enabled
Enable OFDMA in 5GHz - Not Enabled
Enable OFDMA in 5GHz high band - Not Enabled
Enable Smart Connect - Not Enabled

2.4 Ghz
Enable SSID Brodcast - Enabled
Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence - Enabled
Channel - Auto
Mode - Up to 1200 Mbps
Transmit Power - 100%
Security Options - WPA2-PSK [AES] Enabled

5 Ghz - 1
Channel - 44     [36 + 40 +44(P) + 48 + 52 + 56 + 60 + 64]
Mode - Up to 4800 Mbps
Transmit Power - 100%

5 Ghz -2
Channel - 153     [149 + 153(P) + 157 + 161]
Mode - Up to 2400 Mbps
Transmit Power - 100%

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Did you factory reset the router and setup from scratch after loading v.138? 

Hows is the wifi settings and advanced settings configured? 

Is Armor, SPC or Traffic Meter enabled? 

What channels are you using? 

@Maike13 wrote:

I don't see any way of reporting firmware bugs so I thought I'd post this here in the hope that someone from Netgear sees it and passes it on to whoever develops the firmware.

My RAX200 router recently automatically updated to Firmware Version 1.0.6.138 and this resulted in a huge drop in wi-fi speed on my laptop.  I reverted it to the previous Firmware Version 1.0.5.132 and my speeds instantly went back to where they were before.

The update didn't make any difference if I connected the laptop directly to the RAX200 LAN port, only wi-fi was affected

Speeds with Firmware Version 1.0.6.138          -          53 Mb/s download and 77 Mb/s upload (Ookla Speed Test)

Speeds with Firmware Version 1.0.5.132         -          473 Mb/s download and 669 Mb/s upload.

Speeds hardwired to an RAX200 LAN port        -        937 Mb/s download and 943 Mb/s upload.

(We have 1Gb/s asynchronous fiber optic internet)

I have a slightly unusual setup, as I am using a 2019 16" MacBook Pro in dual boot mode, so I can either boot into macOS Monterey or Windows 10.  Since Macbooks of this age use Intel hardware, they are really just like any other Windows PC and can run Windows natively given the right hardware drivers.  Apple provides these drivers in a package they call Boot Camp.  This is not the same as running Windows in a virtual environment like Parallels or VMWare, which slows performance.  When booted into Windows it runs just like it would on any other Intel based PC.

The firmware update only affects the wi-fi speed in Windows, wi-fi speed in macOS Monterey is not affected.  Both OS's are fully updated.

I experienced this problem previously with two other routers. the RAX120, which I exchanged for the RAX200 for this very reason, and the Amazon eero Pro 6, which our daughter has.  At the time I thought this was because both those routers use Qualcomm chip sets, but perhaps it was a similar firmware issue.

I suspect the Apple provided Windows wi-fi driver may be part of the problem too.

Anyway, for now I have turned auto updating off and will stick with Firmware Version 1.0.5.132

Message 27 of 56
FURRYe38
Guru

@Maike13 wrote:

Thanks for the reply to my post in the RE: New - RAX200 Firmware Version 1.0.6.138 Released topic. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I've posted a reply three times and nothing shows up. I didn't want you to think I was ignoring you after your were kind enough to reply. I didn't try a router factory reset but will give that a shot when i get a chance. Possibly Thursday evening. I really haven't changed anything on the router except the essentials - changed the admin password, changed the network names, added network passwords, added descriptive names for my devices, assigned static IP addresses to my print server and printer - and that's it. No Armor, SPC or Traffic Meter enabled. My wireless configuration is as below. The speeds I posted were using the 5Ghz-1 network, which are slightly faster than I get with the 5GHz-2.

Enable AX - Enabled
Enable OFDMA in 2.4GHz - Not Enabled
Enable OFDMA in 5GHz - Not Enabled
Enable OFDMA in 5GHz high band - Not Enabled
Enable Smart Connect - Not Enabled

2.4 Ghz
Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence - Enabled
Channel - Auto
Mode - Up to 1200 Mbps
Transmit Power - 100%

5 Ghz - 1
Channel - 44 [36 + 40 +44(P) + 48 + 52 + 56 + 60 + 64]
Mode - Up to 4800 Mbps
Transmit Power - 100%

5 Ghz -2
Channel - 153 [149 + 153(P) + 157 + 161]
Mode - Up to 2400 Mbps
Transmit Power - 100%

Message 28 of 56
FURRYe38
Guru

@Maike13 

I would enable OFDMA and test after you do a factory reset. Also test with and with out Smart Connect enabled...

What is the connection rate of your wireless device while connected to the 5Ghz-1 radio? 

You can see this if you load up wifi sweet spots app on your mobile device.   

Message 29 of 56
Maike13
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@Maike13 

I would enable OFDMA and test after you do a factory reset. Also test with and with out Smart Connect enabled...

What is the connection rate of your wireless device while connected to the 5Ghz-1 radio? 

You can see this if you load up wifi sweet spots app on your mobile device.   

Thanks.  I updated the router to the latest firmware (still much slower uploads and downloads after updating) and then did the factory reset.  The result is a bit weird.  Initially I still got the same low download speeds but they were much more erratic than previously, anywhere from 50 - 200 Mbps.  Upload speeds were back to previous good levels and pretty stable (around 660 Mbps).  I then enabled OFDMA and download speeds improved dramatically to pretty stable at around 450 Mbps.  I then tried turning OFDMA off again and both download and upload speeds stayed pretty stable but dropped about 10%.  The download speeds were still much better than before which is a bit odd.  Even stranger, if I reboot the router, it goes back to the original behavior with unstable 50-200 Mbps download speeds and still stable upload speeds around 660 Mbps.  Changing OFDMA, either enabling it or disabling it, stabilizes the download speeds at around 450 Mbps (if enabling OFDMA) or around 400 Mbps (if disabling it).  Should I try another factory reset to resolve this rather odd behavior on re-boot, or just be thankful it's working well after performing this "adjustment" after re-booting, and leave it alone?  I'm pretty happy with the speeds.

I also tried enabling Smart Connect, both with OFDMA enabled and disabled, but it didn't seem to make any difference.

PS:  Wi-FiSweetSpots is giving me 620 Mbps on my iPhone XS at the same location on the same network.  Speedtest on the phone gives me 500 Mbps download and 600 Mbps upload.

Message 30 of 56
FURRYe38
Guru

I'd let it run for a bit longer and observe before another FR. Possible that maybe your testing the speeds a bit to soon after the router is fully ready and other things are happening that is taking up some CPU time and after this settles, speeds are normalized...

Message 31 of 56
Maike13
Guide

I liked the theory as it made a lot of sense but unfortunately it didn't work.  I rebooted the router and went and did something else for 45 minutes.  The extra time did stabilize the download speeds, so I think your theory was partially correct, but they stabilized down the way between 27 and 44 Mbps.  Disabling OFDMA (since it happened to be enabled) increased the download speed to between 441 and 459 Mbps.  Oddly this time enabling OFDMA again made things worse with download speeds between 366 and 381 Mbps.  To check if this was consistent, I disabled it again and download speeds went back up to between 457 and 464 Mbps.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I'd let it run for a bit longer and observe before another FR. Possible that maybe your testing the speeds a bit to soon after the router is fully ready and other things are happening that is taking up some CPU time and after this settles, speeds are normalized...

Message 32 of 56
FURRYe38
Guru

Might give a factory reset another try then. 

Message 33 of 56
EdCzar
Star

Just wondering if any of the issues have been addressed and when we can expect a firmware upgrade that we can use.

We can live with some of the issues but obviouly not withour DNS.

What version are others using?  

Message 34 of 56
FURRYe38
Guru

What problems are you having? 

What DNS issues are you having? 

@EdCzar wrote:

Just wondering if any of the issues have been addressed and when we can expect a firmware upgrade that we can use.

We can live with some of the issues but obviouly not withour DNS.

What version are others using?  

Message 35 of 56
EdCzar
Star

Same issue with DNS as others have posted in this thread. It seems to occur only when OpenVPN is enabled.  I am currently using an earlier version of the firmware where the Internet get disconnected temporarily when Time Syncronization takes place.

I am trying to figure out which firmware is the least bad.

Message 36 of 56
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you tried enabling IPv6 to see if that changes anything on v.138?

Message 37 of 56
EdCzar
Star

Thanks. 

I always have IP6 enabled as I need it.

Message 38 of 56
adm1r4lj
Star

Any updates on this thread? When can we expect a DNS/OpenVPN bugfix to be released?

Message 39 of 56
FURRYe38
Guru

Sorry NG doesn't post if and when new FW updates are forth coming. We don't get that kind of information. 

Message 40 of 56
EdCzar
Star

Would it be OK to begin a discussion of other routers (perhaps for other companies) that provide this functionality?  There is only so long we can wait for a fix that may never happen.

Message 41 of 56
FURRYe38
Guru

User can contact NG support to express there concerns of there router problems so NG knows what your experiencing. 

Message 42 of 56
cooleye63
Aspirant

Has anyone else had stability issues with a RAX200 using the latest firm 1.0.6.138 and resolved it?  I had to reboot my router multiple times a day with this latest revision.  Falling back to V1.0.5.132 and disabling auto updates fixed it immediately - not a single reboot since falling back.

I tried for several days to troubleshoot but there was never any meaningful symptom or hint of root cause other than download throughput would go to a tenth of its usual or stop working all together.  Rebooting the router would clear the problem every time.  It's an all NETGEAR ecosystem with the RAX200, EAX80 extender and CM2000 modem.  Bypassing the extender made no difference.  

Message 43 of 56
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

You may try backing up your router settings update to the latest firmware and then for a factory reset. https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...

Message 44 of 56
Crash83K
Guide

I'm still unsure why this isn't solved yet.

Also, anyone else having issues with the WYSIWYG editor on this forum? I can't see the text as I type. I have to copy/paste from an external editor.

Message 45 of 56
FURRYe38
Guru

No forum editor issues seen here. 

Windows and Opera GX

@Crash83K wrote:

I'm still unsure why this isn't solved yet.

Also, anyone else having issues with the WYSIWYG editor on this forum? I can't see the text as I type. I have to copy/paste from an external editor.

Message 46 of 56
RikiRu
Tutor

Hi!

Just like to let you know that there is issues with the latest update of the Netgear routers with the version: V1.0.6.138_1.0.76

I have had constant DNS issues and for some reason when having DHCP turned on, my devices get my routers adress 10.0.0.1 in my case, as the DNS Server 1.

If i set static settings it works, but some devices cannot be changed, such as a Philips Hue bridge. also have issues with my Samsung phone, S21 Ultra, connects to the Wifi, no internet access.

So i downgraded to previous verison: V1.0.5.132_1.0.69

All issues gone, all devices connect instantly with direct internet access.

I have tried reseting my router, I have downgraded to V1.0.5.132 then let the router update itself to V1.0.6.138, as soon as im back on the 138 Firmware it stops working, downgrading again makes everything work just fine again.

It quite scary that i bought such a "high end" product with a premium price to recive updates that are this poorly tested, if anyone from Netgear reads this please fix these issues and as of right now i wouldnt recommend anyone having automatic updates on their Netgear router.
If nothing is done i will not be a Netgear costumer ever again.

Message 47 of 56
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Seems that you have a modem or ONT that already has a built in router. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem. https://kb.netgear.com/25891/DMZ-on-NETGEAR-routers
https://kb.netgear.com/24086/How-do-I-set-up-a-default-DMZ-server-on-my-Nighthawk-router
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the NG router to the modem, LAN to LAN configure AP mode on the NG router.
https://kb.netgear.com/24104/How-do-I-change-my-Nighthawk-router-to-AP-mode-after-I-ve-already-run-s...

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Did you enable IPv6 as well after .v138 was applied? 

@RikiRu wrote:

Hi!

Just like to let you know that there is issues with the latest update of the Netgear routers with the version: V1.0.6.138_1.0.76

I have had constant DNS issues and for some reason when having DHCP turned on, my devices get my routers adress 10.0.0.1 in my case, as the DNS Server 1.

If i set static settings it works, but some devices cannot be changed, such as a Philips Hue bridge. also have issues with my Samsung phone, S21 Ultra, connects to the Wifi, no internet access.

So i downgraded to previous verison: V1.0.5.132_1.0.69

All issues gone, all devices connect instantly with direct internet access.

I have tried reseting my router, I have downgraded to V1.0.5.132 then let the router update itself to V1.0.6.138, as soon as im back on the 138 Firmware it stops working, downgrading again makes everything work just fine again.

It quite scary that i bought such a "high end" product with a premium price to recive updates that are this poorly tested, if anyone from Netgear reads this please fix these issues and as of right now i wouldnt recommend anyone having automatic updates on their Netgear router.
If nothing is done i will not be a Netgear costumer ever again.

Message 48 of 56
EdCzar
Star

We are all having the exact same issues.  There is no point in backing up your router and resetting it - we have all tried this and this did not work.  So far, the only solution is to buy a router from another vendor or use 1.0.5.132 version of firmware.

Message 49 of 56
RikiRu
Tutor

Your suggestion is the fix my network with my ISP when it doesnt work with 138 version of a firmware for the router, but it works with 132. And you are a Guru? lmao

As ive said, downgrading the firmware solves the issues, if that doesnt tell you there is something wrong in the 138 firmware i dont know.

Do you honestly think my ISP will help me when i explain this issue? they will tell me to fix my router, if they do anything they will debit me for their time, becouse the issue is at no level at their end.

I hope you also understand that the normal setup in a house or apartment is to receive or have a converter from Fiber or Koaxial connection today with built in Router function, im pretty sure 90 % of all modern houses and apartments are setup in this way, and to ask to contact an ISP for setup on DMZ betwen my home router and my convertion box when so many people have issues with the 138 verison is mad.

Also, you asked if a reset was made since last FW update, if you read, i wrote: "I have tried reseting my router", that has been done from the 138 firmware, no luck, i dont need to reset form the 132, becouse everything in functional in the 132 version of the firmware.

Stop protecting an obvious issue in the Firmware, I paid a premium for this Router to NOT have these issues, im sick and tired of people telling me that i need to diagnose my network when i have done NOTHING / NO CHANGE and it suddenly stops working after a Firmware update.

As i said, the DNS 1 server becomes the routers IP, 10.0.0.1 in my case, if i set static settings with googles DNS it starts working.

Just fix it.

Message 50 of 56
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 55 replies
  • 40 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7