× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New - RAX200 Firmware Version 1.0.6.138 Released

FURRYe38
Guru

New - RAX200 Firmware Version 1.0.6.138 Released

New Features and Enhancements:

• Adds support to EU SKU for Router Analytic (RA) opt-in, opt-out feature
  • Removes support from China SKU for gaming VPN Funjsq

Security Fixes:

• Fixes security vulnerabilities.

For more information about security vulnerabilities, visit https://www.netgear.com/about/security

Download Link:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RAX200.aspx#download

To update your router’s firmware, follow the instructions in your router’s user manual. To find your router’s user manual, visit

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RAX200.aspx#docs

Manually update FW on the router if this isn't seen on the routers web page:

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

NOTE: Use a wired PC and web browser to update router FW. If continued problems are seen after a FW update, it's recommended to try a factory reset and setup from scratch with out loading any saved configurations from backup files.

https://kb.netgear.com/9665/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-NETGEAR-router

This article applies to:

Let us know how it works for you...

Message 3 of 56
EdCzar
Star

Re: [Time synchronized with NTP server] RAX80 Router disconnects me from the internet from time to t

I have been having the same problem since upgrading my router to a Nighthawk RAX200.  I was using the Nighthawk AC3200 prior to that and did not experience the problem.

I see that you are getting the IPs of 3 devices renewed each time this happens.  In my case, it is for only two plugged in devices (a server and a camera NVR)  Interestingly, the server has 2 idential ethernet ports, both plugged into the router.  The connection only drops for one of them.

Instead of allowing DHCP to assign IP addresses for those 2 devices, I gave them fixed IPs.  Since doing that, I have not had any net disconnects after Time synchronizations.

Hope this helps.

Message 1 of 56
EdCzar
Star

Re: [Time synchronized with NTP server] RAX80 Router disconnects me from the internet from time to t

It looks like I spoke too soon.  I did not have a Net Disconnect for over 36 hours (Time sync occured during that period without a hitch)  Unfortunately the problem returned

Message 2 of 56
EdCzar
Star

No news at all.  After almost 20 years of using Netgear Routers I think it is time to find something new.  The support for this router is unacceptable.

Message 4 of 56
EdCzar
Star

Re: New - RAX200 Firmware Version 1.0.6.138 Released

When I do a "Firmware Version Check" with the web interface it tesll me that "No new firmware version available"  I am currently running with V1.0.5.132_1.0.69

Message 5 of 56
FURRYe38
Guru

Something that may not be available yet on the NG auto update services. Something to manually download and apply yourself using the included instructions in the post. Up to you though. 

@EdCzar wrote:

When I do a "Firmware Version Check" with the web interface it tesll me that "No new firmware version available"  I am currently running with V1.0.5.132_1.0.69

Message 6 of 56
nicoimages
Tutor

Version 1.0.6.138 breaks DNS. I had to revert to 1.0.5.132 to get everything to work again. This happens for both WiFi and direct network connections. Entering DNS servers manually into connected devices resolves the issue temporarily but is not sustainable. It looks like similar problem have been caused by previous updates but were then subsequently resolved

Message 7 of 56
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you factory reset the router and setup from scratch after loading v.138? 

Did you try enabling IPv6 on the router as well after v.138 was loaded? 

@nicoimages wrote:

Version 1.0.6.138 breaks DNS. I had to revert to 1.0.5.132 to get everything to work again. This happens for both WiFi and direct network connections. Entering DNS servers manually into connected devices resolves the issue temporarily but is not sustainable. It looks like similar problem have been caused by previous updates but were then subsequently resolved

Message 8 of 56
crjohnson
Guide

Pertaining to DNS functionality, I'm interested as well in the results of the factory reset.

Thanks in advance for following up.

Message 9 of 56
adm1r4lj
Star

I can confirm that 1.0.6.138 DOES INDEED contain a DNS breaking bug for DHCP clients and any device using the RAX200 for DNS.

I spent the entire day debugging this, performing factory resets, up/downgrading firmware, etc. to see where it starts to come apart. From my testing starting with a factory-reset RAX200, everything seems to hold up well for my environment on 1.0.6.138 until I start to create DHCP reservations. The second I create one entry, any device using the RAX200 for DNS (both DHCP clients and devices manually pointing to the RAX200) are unable to receive DNS replies. The RAX200 receives the queries, but does not forward them out to the WAN interface.  Deleting the DHCP reservations also does not fix the issue. When I downgrade back to 1.0.5.132, the bug is eliminated and everything works as expected. Switching between 1.0.5.132 and 1.0.6.138 with a fully populated DHCP reservation table confirms the bug exists in 1.0.6.138. 

Until Netgear support can release a bugfix, these are the available options:

1. Run 1.0.5.132 until the bug is fixed, or

2. Run 1.0.6.138 and manually configure all client devices to use external DNS servers on the client itself. I have confirmed this works and was using this as a workaround during my debugging, though it is not a practical solution as many devices don't allow you the option to manually configure the device (IoT devices specifically).

Message 10 of 56
nicoimages
Tutor

Hi

In response to the question from @crjohnson I did indeed spend a considerable time doing a factory reset and setting everything up again and still had exactly the same issue.

Adding the DNS settings manually into clients is not practical given the amount of devices I have on the network. Rolling back was the only thing that worked

Thanks

Nicholas

Message 11 of 56
EdCzar
Star

In the release notes, they also make no reference to addressing the problem where the router disconnects from the Internet when a Time Syncronization is taking place (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/Time-synchronized-with-NTP-server-...

With the addition of the DCHP bug it seems like this upgrade breaks more than it fixes.

Message 12 of 56
crjohnson
Guide

I want to extend my appreciation to both @adm1r4lj and @nicoimages for their extensive testing performed and sharing of results. The time and hard work spent dissecting the DNS issue has not gone unnoticed.

I as well use IP address reservations and feel it's impractical to manually configure devices as a work around. 

I'll wait for the next firmware release proven to have corrected the situation. 

Thank you both again!!

Cliff

Message 13 of 56
Crash83K
Guide

I had the same problem with my RAX200. This is pretty disappointing, to be honest. An automatic update shouldn't lead to broken connections.

After going over all of the devices that weren't getting internet, I realized that the router had to be the problem. I rolled back the firmware to 105 and that solved it. Then I came here to see what the issue was. I'm glad to see others discovered this quickly as well, but I'm disappointed that Netgear hasn't rolled out a fix for this yet. This firmware was delivered 5 days ago, so there should have already been a hotfix.

Message 14 of 56

Hi @adm1r4lj @crjohnson @Crash83K @nicoimages 

Can you check when the issue is happened, the openvpn function is enable or not?

I know there is a DNS proxy crash issue when enabling the openvpn.

Message 15 of 56
nicoimages
Tutor

Hi

The OpenVPN function was enabled

Thanks

Nicholas

Message 16 of 56
Crash83K
Guide

Yes. We are using OpenVPN. So this is the lynch pin?

Message 17 of 56
crjohnson
Guide

I too utilize OpenVPN. However, I can't speak to the 138's issues first hand due to having avoided the headache based on this discussion thread. 

Again, very much appreciative of the contributions provided by all.   

I don't mind leading the way testing the next firmware release in hopes of confirming resolution of identified issues. 

Message 18 of 56
adm1r4lj
Star

We have openvpn enabled on the RAX200. I will have some time later tonight to see if disabling it and upgrading to 1.0.6 will avoid the DNS issues.
Message 19 of 56
df2ef2f2f23f2ef
Aspirant

Confirm I got the same DNS issue after it automatically updated its firmware to the latest.

I have IP reservations and OpenVPN enabled. 

I thought for a whole day it's an issue with our ISP.... 

Reverting to older version of firmware fixed the issue.

Be honest, Netgear routers have the **bleep**est software....Was so happy with Asus, then wasted 600 bucks on a Netgear...

Message 20 of 56
adm1r4lj
Star

@CD_router_888 @FURRYe38 @crjohnson @Crash83K @nicoimages -

These are my findings from yesterday:

• The DNS proxy crash issue triggers on 1.0.6 when we enable OpenVPN and reboot the RAX200.
  • If we enable OpenVPN on 1.0.6 and do not reboot the RAX200, the DNS issue does not trigger. Tested working fine for approx. 2hrs.
  • Reverting back to 1.0.5 eliminates this bug while maintaining VPN and DNS functionality after a reboot.

Hopefully a bugfix will be made available soon. 

Message 21 of 56
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the DNS issue seen if OpenVPN not used at all? Just the router and default DNS settings? 

@adm1r4lj wrote:

These are my findings from yesterday:

• The DNS proxy crash issue triggers on 1.0.6 when we enable OpenVPN and reboot the RAX200.
  • If we enable OpenVPN on 1.0.6 and do not reboot the RAX200, the DNS issue does not trigger. Tested working fine for approx. 2hrs.
  • Reverting back to 1.0.5 eliminates this bug while maintaining VPN and DNS functionality after a reboot.

Hopefully a bugfix will be made available soon. 

Message 22 of 56
adm1r4lj
Star

@FURRYe38 - not in our testing. When we disabled OpenVPN and rebooted the RAX200 under 1.0.6, the issue went away. When we enabled OpenVPN and rebooted, the issue resurfaced. Also if we disabled OpenVPN under 1.0.5 and then upgraded to 1.0.6, the issue did not resurface. So I'd say there is a pretty strong connection linking the DNS issue to having OpenVPN be enabled on 1.0.6 and something loading at boot-time which triggers this issue.

Message 23 of 56
Maike13
Guide

RE: New - RAX200 Firmware Version 1.0.6.138 Released

I don't see any way of reporting firmware bugs so I thought I'd post this here in the hope that someone from Netgear sees it and passes it on to whoever develops the firmware.

My RAX200 router recently automatically updated to Firmware Version 1.0.6.138 and this resulted in a huge drop in wi-fi speed on my laptop.  I reverted it to the previous Firmware Version 1.0.5.132 and my speeds instantly went back to where they were before.

The update didn't make any difference if I connected the laptop directly to the RAX200 LAN port, only wi-fi was affected

Speeds with Firmware Version 1.0.6.138          -          53 Mb/s download and 77 Mb/s upload (Ookla Speed Test)

Speeds with Firmware Version 1.0.5.132         -          473 Mb/s download and 669 Mb/s upload.

Speeds hardwired to an RAX200 LAN port        -        937 Mb/s download and 943 Mb/s upload.

(We have 1Gb/s asynchronous fiber optic internet)

I have a slightly unusual setup, as I am using a 2019 16" MacBook Pro in dual boot mode, so I can either boot into macOS Monterey or Windows 10.  Since Macbooks of this age use Intel hardware, they are really just like any other Windows PC and can run Windows natively given the right hardware drivers.  Apple provides these drivers in a package they call Boot Camp.  This is not the same as running Windows in a virtual environment like Parallels or VMWare, which slows performance.  When booted into Windows it runs just like it would on any other Intel based PC.

The firmware update only affects the wi-fi speed in Windows, wi-fi speed in macOS Monterey is not affected.  Both OS's are fully updated.

I experienced this problem previously with two other routers. the RAX120, which I exchanged for the RAX200 for this very reason, and the Amazon eero Pro 6, which our daughter has.  At the time I thought this was because both those routers use Qualcomm chip sets, but perhaps it was a similar firmware issue.

I suspect the Apple provided Windows wi-fi driver may be part of the problem too.

Anyway, for now I have turned auto updating off and will stick with Firmware Version 1.0.5.132

Message 24 of 56
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you factory reset the router and setup from scratch after loading v.138? 

Hows is the wifi settings and advanced settings configured? 

Is Armor, SPC or Traffic Meter enabled? 

What channels are you using? 

@Maike13 wrote:

I don't see any way of reporting firmware bugs so I thought I'd post this here in the hope that someone from Netgear sees it and passes it on to whoever develops the firmware.

My RAX200 router recently automatically updated to Firmware Version 1.0.6.138 and this resulted in a huge drop in wi-fi speed on my laptop.  I reverted it to the previous Firmware Version 1.0.5.132 and my speeds instantly went back to where they were before.

The update didn't make any difference if I connected the laptop directly to the RAX200 LAN port, only wi-fi was affected

Speeds with Firmware Version 1.0.6.138          -          53 Mb/s download and 77 Mb/s upload (Ookla Speed Test)

Speeds with Firmware Version 1.0.5.132         -          473 Mb/s download and 669 Mb/s upload.

Speeds hardwired to an RAX200 LAN port        -        937 Mb/s download and 943 Mb/s upload.

(We have 1Gb/s asynchronous fiber optic internet)

I have a slightly unusual setup, as I am using a 2019 16" MacBook Pro in dual boot mode, so I can either boot into macOS Monterey or Windows 10.  Since Macbooks of this age use Intel hardware, they are really just like any other Windows PC and can run Windows natively given the right hardware drivers.  Apple provides these drivers in a package they call Boot Camp.  This is not the same as running Windows in a virtual environment like Parallels or VMWare, which slows performance.  When booted into Windows it runs just like it would on any other Intel based PC.

The firmware update only affects the wi-fi speed in Windows, wi-fi speed in macOS Monterey is not affected.  Both OS's are fully updated.

I experienced this problem previously with two other routers. the RAX120, which I exchanged for the RAX200 for this very reason, and the Amazon eero Pro 6, which our daughter has.  At the time I thought this was because both those routers use Qualcomm chip sets, but perhaps it was a similar firmware issue.

I suspect the Apple provided Windows wi-fi driver may be part of the problem too.

Anyway, for now I have turned auto updating off and will stick with Firmware Version 1.0.5.132

Message 25 of 56
Discussion stats
  • 55 replies
  • 40 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7