× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New RAX80 no connection to internet or 5G but 2.4G works - What should I check?

threeOne
Aspirant

New RAX80 no connection to internet or 5G but 2.4G works - What should I check?

I purchased an RAX80 router through Amazon and set it up today.  Unfortunately it does not connect to the internet and although the 5G network appears to be active I cannot log into it.  Fortunately I can log into the router control panel through 2.4G or ethernet.

This router is connected to COX Gigablast through a CM1000 cable modem. This device is also new today.  I connected my laptop to the CM1000 through ethernet to confirm it has access to the internet.  Although I'm connected to the web I noticed I'm only pulling 100mb through Gigablast although the ping is good at 10.  Tech support said I have 0 packet loss so they are doing additional research on why it might be slow.  

In any case is there anything I can do to determine if the problem with the RAX80 is hardware or configuration related?  Is there any chance the problem is with COX or the CM1000?

Thanks so much!

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
ryanroy837
Aspirant

Re: New RAX80 no connection to internet or 5G but 2.4G works - What should I check?

Thanks for this information. It is very useful
Message 2 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: New RAX80 no connection to internet or 5G but 2.4G works - What should I check?

I would probably start 2 threads because there's 2 different subjects. 

In terms of you router:

1. what firmware is on it? I'd update it to the latest over a hardwired connection and then factory reset it. The firmware has been a bit beta and responded well to factory resets.

For your modem.

1. Do you have a screen snip of your connections page? just saying it only hits 100mbps doesn't tell us much. Make sure you have the upload/download/ofdm screen info included in the snip. 

2. What laptop are you using and what cable? a cat 5 cable will max out at 100mbps. Make sure you have a cat 5e or cat 6/7 cable. Also make sure you laptop supports gigabit speeds. 

Something else to keep in mind is that if you just purchased them, you have 90 days of free support that you can access. Might go a little faster for you. to use it, go to the top and click on mynetgear. From there register an account and your devices. Once registered, you'll have the option to contact support. 

Message 3 of 5
GabboCH
Apprentice

If you use the Netgear Nighthawk app there is a "SpeedTest" function available for the router.

This runs directly from the router (so is not affected by the device you are using the app from (e.g. mobile on 2.4GHz Wifi).

This will tell you the connection speed between the modem & RAX80 via ethernet.

for your WiFi problems, have a look at some of the other RAX80 threads as there are several concerning 5G & 2.4G connection problems.

If you have just installed the router & performed a firmware update, I would also recommend performing & factory reset & configuring the router again.

I had lots of problems out of the box after the first firmware upgrade which were mostly resolved after a factory reset.

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

Forgot to mention just directly connecting the laptop directly to the modem for speedtesting. Make sure you get full speeds to the modem without even introducing the router into if. Just limits the potential factors that could be causing issues. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7